Thread: Is tempeh okay? page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Mark has not written much about it, so I figured I'd ask here.

It's a fermented, unprocessed soy product, so I supposed it's fine?

I've been buying it a lot lately, and plan on stocking up on it tomorrow when I go to WF (its a rare occasion as it's far).

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Acmebike is offline Member

I&#39;ve written soy and all soy products out of my dietary plans for good, long ago. Things like:

http://www.rejoiceinlife.com/mediaFliers/WAPBrochure.php

have swayed me. Why even risk it?

"Truth: Most modern soy foods are not fermented to neutralise toxins in soybeans, and are processed in a way that denatures proteins and increases levels of carcinogens."

In other words, fermenting soybeans neutralizes the toxins... that&#39;s why I&#39;m asking particularly about tempeh, which is fermented.

Acmebike is offline Member

The fermentation does not eliminate the toxins in soy, only reduces. Plus, I would imagine any commercially available tempeh to have plenty extra chemicals and processes along for the ride. Make your own? Tempeh has no nutrients that are not available from better sources in greater availability. Double negative weirdness aside, why eat tempeh? Just for variety?

I&#39;m remaining in the soy, legume, grain elimination camp. A fine post on that right here:

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/12/28/avoid-poison-or-neutralize-it.html

Not that the above link addresses tempeh in particular. But the same logic applies. Avoid poison, or reduce poison? I chose to avoid it entirely. Same feeling on fermented/sprouted grains and legumes.

I like the taste and texture, and there many things I can do with it. I like to toast it and use it as the "bread" to make sandwiches - with peanut butter >.<

The kind that I eat is organic, has no other additives, and is very cheap. But if you think I&#39;d better invest it in other things, I&#39;ll consider it. Or just keep it as a treat. I&#39;m just getting bored of the same things everyday. =\

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I&#39;ve always wanted to try it, mostly out of curiosity. Doubt it would be something I&#39;d eat regularly, but it would be neat to try.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Here&#39;s what Mark has to say about it...

7. Tempeh

Here’s where soy gets healthy (finally!). Fermented soy products are rich in isoflavones, which are excellent for the heart and may even prevent cancer. The good news is that you can find fermented soy milk and tofu if you look for it (and grocery stores will often start carrying it if you just ask). Tempeh is a chewy, nutty, meaty type of soy product that is loaded with isoflavones, so I do recommend this. I think it’s a lot tastier than tofu, too.