Thread: Eczema since starting primal page

Athanasey is offline Senior Member

Eczema since starting primal

Shop Now
    So my 11 moth old baby has been primal for about a month now. It has stopped her chronic cough and constant colds but in the past week she has started getting eczema on her face. It seems worse after she eats. Obviously gluten isn't the issue so what else could it be?

She is breastfed and she gets plenty of sunshine every day, so vitamin D deficiency isn't an issue. She doesn't eat nuts but I do.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Nuts. Same thing happens to my son. I ate nuts, breastfed him, and an hour later his face was bright red. Egg white made the same reaction. He has outgrown both allergies by now; he's 4.

You know I was really hoping no one would say nuts

Funny thing is I have been eaten them this whole time and no dramas. I stopped eating macadamias for a few weeks because they are so expensive. It's only since I bought the new bag that it's started and my chest feels fuzzy again.

She's only started eating whole eggs in the past couple of weeks so there might be something in that too.

Thanks Glamorama!

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

In Australia we are not recommended to feed them eggs until they are past 12 months. I would wait 5-6 months and try again. She is probably okay with yolk, but many children are sensitive to egg white. Good news is that most will outgrow it. Macadamias are not high-allergenic like say peanuts or almonds. But worth noting how she reacts after nuts and eggs so you can track it.

I was told 10 months by the health nurse. She even gave it to me in a little pamphlet. How odd! She doesn't really like them anyway so it is no great loss Maybe she's trying to tell me something!

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasey View Post
    I was told 10 months by the health nurse. She even gave it to me in a little pamphlet. How odd! She doesn't really like them anyway so it is no great loss Maybe she's trying to tell me something!
    Mine is 10 month old in 3 weeks, I'll have to try then! 4 years ago it was 12 months, they must have changed the rules. I'm hoping she's not as allergic as the boys have been.

My boys will only eat egg if it's in baked goods, but nothing too eggy like omelets, quiche, frittatas etc. They actually tell me they get sore tummies from it. One still gets a rash, but the other one will vomit, so I let them lead. They like cheese and meat, so that's our snacks. Since going primal they have taken a liking towards berry-smoothies, that might be a good one to try out?

I made a coconut milk/kiwi fruit smoothie for the first time the other day. It was quite thick and she wolfed it down. Of course her nappy was a little explosive afterwards though

If we had a family history of egg allergy I'd probably wait to introduce egg, but then again there is that newish research that shows earlier introduction is better. It's so confusing and they keep changing the rules!

My little one is a meat fiend. I just realised I'm going to have to change how much I buy for a meal as she is eating as much as her 6 year old sister!

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

With the new research, keep this in mind: my boy broke out in hives and rashes at 12 weeks old thanks to the egg and peanuts I had for lunch! So getting it through breast milk was enough for him to get sick, long before he was old enough for solids! So I personally believe it really depends on the individual. There was nothing I could have done to change their food-intolerances. They also reckon cleaner homes causes a massive spike in food-allergies. Go figure...

PrimalCon New York
    Gosh that must have been horrible for him as a little baby! I agree that is an individual thing. Some mum's end up with incredibly restricted diets due to their little one's allergies.

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb