Thread: raw liver vs cooked liver? page

walnut is offline Member

raw liver vs cooked liver?

Shop Now
    Is there any nutritional benefit to eating raw liver compared to cooked liver?

Thanks!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Bump for answer! I've been cooking my liver, but I wonder if I've been depriving myself of anything. Does cooked liver provide the same anti-exhaustion properties as raw? I know my reps are up since eating more liver, but is it worth eating raw to further enhance my endurance? Granted, I'm getting liver from pastured, grass-fed cows, so I'm not terribly worried about disease. Plus, if you freeze it for a few weeks, doesn't that kill most parasites? And then you can thaw and eat it raw more safely?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I've always read not to over-cook it, to medium-rare it at most. That's how I have mine. I did bite into some raw chicken liver and that was very nice, but I still ended up lightly pan frying it before incorporating it into my sweet potato mash. It was so good. I could see throwing it raw on soup or something and letting the heat of the broth cook it a little as well, now that it's starting to get cold around here.

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    I actually just bought my first grass-fed meat today (besides the occasional bison burger in the past) and decided to go with beef liver so I could take advantage of those healthy fats (plus, it was relatively cheap). Anyone know if it would cook well on a cast iron skillet or would it be really easy to overcook that way?

Libre27 is offline Senior Member
    I guess I am the sissy here, but I can't imagine putting raw liver in my mouth. I think I would throw up. I'd try it if someone could show that cooking it reduces the benefits though.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by petriquor View Post
    I actually just bought my first grass-fed meat today (besides the occasional bison burger in the past) and decided to go with beef liver so I could take advantage of those healthy fats (plus, it was relatively cheap). Anyone know if it would cook well on a cast iron skillet or would it be really easy to overcook that way?
    Cast iron is awesome for cooking liver. I use it to sear mine like a steak. Well, not quite as hot as that, but I cook it just so the outside browns nicely and the inside is still deep pink. It's not any more likely to overcook in cast iorn than any other pan type.

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Cast iron is awesome for cooking liver. I use it to sear mine like a steak. Well, not quite as hot as that, but I cook it just so the outside browns nicely and the inside is still deep pink. It's not any more likely to overcook in cast iorn than any other pan type.
    Thanks for the info. I did end up probably overcooking it a tad, but then again I've never had liver, and I'm still relatively new to cast iron cooking. Either way, it was delicious.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about liver, but I just sear the outside of beef heart (from US Wellness) and eat it that way. I am not sure whether it's "better" for me or not, but it tastes hella good.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.