Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At two reps of 50 pound free weights. Stick with it or cut it in half? page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

At two reps of 50 pound free weights. Stick with it or cut it in half?

Shop Now
    I know isolating muscle groups is generally regarded as CW and frowned upon, but I've always enjoyed my weights. I was recently was given weights as a gift. I can load one up with 50 pounds and do two curls with that. I'm wondering if I should continue to do this again and again every few days to build strength or if I should reduce the weight for now and approach it more gradually. I'm not prone to tendon strain or other issues, so my risk of injury is very low. Can this approach work?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    lower the weight. If you're going to do iso work, do it in the 8-10 rep range. If you were talking about deadlifts or squats, working up to a heavy double or triple is one thing, but curls? No way.

Also, you're asking for elbow troubles curling that much weight to start with. Start lighter and work your way up.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    lower the weight. If you're going to do iso work, do it in the 8-10 rep range. If you were talking about deadlifts or squats, working up to a heavy double or triple is one thing, but curls? No way.

Also, you're asking for elbow troubles curling that much weight to start with. Start lighter and work your way up.
    +1

If you are going to do iso work, you've got to do *all* of it. If you only do some of it, you'll end up sorry. Also, iso work was meant to be added to heavy work. If you do it by itself, it won't work well.

critta is offline Senior Member
    I would go with a more complex movement you can still use your weight like a single arm shoulder press where you start with the weight on the ground next to you. Bend lift curl then press overhead.

workout4ever is offline Junior Member
    just like Abu Reena said, if you do isolating work you should stay in the higher rep range, but 50 pounds is enough for many exercises that work the whole body.

Turkish get ups with a barbell loaded with 50lbs is pretty hard and it will work your whole body! Also as critta said you can use it for one arm shoulder press, this is an awesome upper body exercise.
    Visit my website about fitness and health, would love some input .

http://www.workout4ever.com

Well, I just couldn't resist bucking CW on this one. I stuck with the 50 pound weight and I'm already up to four reps on each arm. No pain at all in either elbow. I'm sure you gave me the right advice to be given, but I had a feeling I could jump-start things anyway. What's the point of asking for advice if I'm not going to follow it? How about showing that there's another way. But, to be fair, I have genetic advantage in adding muscle and strength. My whole family has no problem gaining strength at ridiculous rates, so this might not have worked for an ectomorph.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Scratch that. I just did five reps each arm in my second set after typing that.

And so you're not worried about muscle imbalance, I do plenty of chinups and pushups as well.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 09-16-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Bump for another post not appearing in the forum...

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

What? No more nay-sayers?

*not that previous help has been nay-saying. I'm just attempting to elicit a reply. Anybody else have success with starting heavy?

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    What is your goal? Generally isolation work is geared toward increasing visible muscle size. If that's the case, low reps in iso exercises is unlikely to be the most efficient way to your goal. If your goal is to life a 50lb weight as many times as you can, your approach is not a bad one.

Glad to hear you don't have pain. Just be vigilant, as it can come on suddenly and with a vengeance...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast