Thread: Help! My chicken is too small! page

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member

Help! My chicken is too small!

Not really, it's a beautiful pastured chicken and it looks delicious But... it's about 2.5lbs whole. I can't seem to find a roasting time online for a whole chicken that's smaller than 4lbs!

Any one know how long I should roast my mini-chicken? I'm guessing I'll just have to throw it in and keep checking, but I'd like to time it reasonably well so my vegetables are ready at about the same time. Not doing anything fancy with it... probably olive oil and herbs on top and garlic/lemon in the cavity.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Q: What is the cooking time for whole birds?
    A: 30 minutes per 500g at 200OC.

HINTS:

Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting dish and lightly brush the whole bird with butter or cooking oil to assist browning.
    Add a little water to the bottom of the dish to help keep the bird moist during cooking.
    Tuck wings under body to prevent them from burning.
    When carving, remove legs and wings by cutting through the joint and carve breast parallel to the breastbone.

2.5lb ~ 1100g 200C ~ 375F
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Dino Babe is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Hailey,

Hope all is well, how's your bump? Hanging for a new post on your blog! If it was me cooking I'd brush it all over with melted butter, sprinkle with salt and white pepper, and roast it in my (well due for replacement) oven for about 90 mins at 160 celcius. I like to cook it bum up for about 60 mins and boobs up for the remainder! I've been making this same roast every 3rd day or so for a few weeks cos it's so frickin' easy, and then I get delicious cartilage and wing tips to gobble up! The fur kids are suffering 'cos that's usually their treat, poor souls! But it's all for the good of the bun...... morphology scan says bub is a-ok!
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

"Forever is composed of nows" - Emily Dickinson