Thread: Dukan diet attack phase to kickstart primal? page

jammiedodger is offline Junior Member

Dukan diet attack phase to kickstart primal?

Primal Fuel
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone would recommend doing the Attack phase of the Dukan diet for approx 5 days to kickstart weightless and then instead of continuing it on, moving onto a primal diet to maintain? I really love the primal concept and find that ditching grains is the way to go for me but I feel I need a kickstart to shift a few pounds and since primal isn't strict I'm probably going overboard and maybe eating too much (especially cheese eggs and nuts) If I was to do the Dukan diet just for the five days and just eat pure protein and I managed to lose weight, I think that would motivate me to continue on primally.

One thing though, the Dukan diet recommends a tablespoon and a half of oat bran per day during this phase. Do you think I should skip or include this?

Would love to hear thoughts/opinions on this,

Thanks!

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Alternatively, you could just eat protein with moderate fat for 5 days and you'll be doing a zero carb diet.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Why not just start w/a Whole 30??? more info can be found here: The Whole30, Version 4.0 | Whole9 | Let us change your life.
    This will give you a kick start...

Unixmonkey is offline Junior Member
    I don't know where you are starting from, but I lost a good 5 pounds or more the first week of whole 30.

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    From my understanding based on some friends of mine who tried (and quit) the Dukan diet, he only allows very lean meats with no added sauces or oils. This just sounds miserable to me, and if you believe (as I do) that fat does not make you fat, I see no reason not to eat fattier meats and cook them in good fats.

My "kickstart" and "re-kickstart" plan is a few weeks of just meats, fish, coconut products (oil and manna), eggs, and leafy greens like spring mix (less than 5 carbs worth.) I'll eat less than 20 carbs a day, but then have about 30% protein and 65% fat. I would basically consider it very-low-carb primal, without allowing any nuts or fruits (besides coconut.)

Good luck to you! So happy you are going Primal!
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I think you should forget about the Dukan, and embrace the PB instead. If you need to be strict, simply lay the rules for the first 5 days: no nuts, no fruit, no cheese. Then you can reintroduce them as you go along. I lost 4 pounds in my first week on PB.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    No. Just go primal before tweaking it.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I don't like when people reference obscure things without providing supporting information. Here's some copypasta from a couple sites that show, yeah, this is pointlessly confusing and you might as well just go primal from the get go instead of trying to juggle a million conflicting rules:

•*The attack phase is designed to enable dieters to rapidly lose 2 to 3 kilograms (4.4 to 6.6 lb) in 2–7 days by kick-starting their metabolism. Dieters allowed to eat as much as they want of 72 protein-rich foods.
    •*The dieters can eat nothing but lean protein, and unlimited amounts, there is no calorie counting. It is important that the protein is low in fat. Protein could be all kinds of beef, fish, chicken, eggs, soy, and cottage cheese. The dieter is told to be careful to avoid meats with added sugars.
    •*The dieter also consumes at least 1.5 tablespoons of oat bran, the only carbohydrate source allowed in this phase. Pierre Dukan explains that oat bran is very high in fiber, meaning that a large proportion of the carbs cannot be broken down and digested, making oat bran less carbohydrate-rich than they thought. Oat bran also helps suppress hunger because it grows to up to twenty times its size in the stomach.
    •*Dukan is classified as the French counterpart to the more strict US protein rich diets. The diet is commonly believed to be a true protein diet, but actually deviates from these as it emphasizes adding vegetables and later on adding no-go foods as starch and carbohydrates.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dukan diet is not really obscure it's been in the press. Not that everyone would have heard about it.