Thread: Birthday Primal Journal (sb13) page

sb13 is offline Junior Member

Birthday Primal Journal (sb13)

Primal Fuel
    Today is my 30th birthday a perfect day to start a 30 day challenge! A little about me - I have a beautiful 5 month baby girl. The breastfeeding / night feedings will make the sleep segment of the challenge the most difficult part. I also work part-time, am in graduate school, am training for a variety of endurance events and am trying to find time for it all. My husband and I both love being active and the hardest part having a newborn is finding time for both of us to get the workouts we love in.

Starting Weight: 120
    Starting BF%: 17-18%
    Goal: See if this lifestyle can help me gain muscle, improve athletic performance (both weight lifting and endurance if possible), and reduce body fat without tracking calories.

Monday Sept 12 (Day 1):

B 3 Tb almond butter (in a hurry)
    L Large egg white scramble with tons of veggies (spinach, peppers, mushrooms, avocado, olives)
    S more almond butter (can you tell I need to reduce the nut intake?), plum, can of smoked oysters
    D Salmon, Cooked Chard, Salad w/ avocado, olives, veggies, balsamic dressing
    S Strawberries

Workout:
    Morning boot camp (core focus, with some resisted sprints)
    Lower body lifting
    Easy evening swim

Highlight:
    Finally tracked down a way I could do natural glute-ham raises at the gym!

Tuesday Sept 13 (Day 2 - and my birthday!)

B Husband made me a gorgeous breakfast; eggs scrambled with avocado, spinach and salsa; bite of left over salmon; cantalope
    S Almond Butter, banana
    L kale & spinach w/ mushrooms in olive oil; smoked oysters
    S Strawberries, Almond Butter (now officially gone will resist buying more for a little while!)
    D Lobster, asparagus, bok choy, wine
    S Almond Milk with unsweetened cocoa

Workout:
    Slept through spin class but got in an awesome upper body workout. Loving my lifting routine right now!

Highlight:
    Shared an amazing 2 pound lobster with my husband! Got cute triathlon outfit, new bar wraps for my bike, and a new fancy bike seat from my husband for my birthday!

Wednesday Sept 14 (Day 3 - the teething baby)

Barely slept last night. I think the baby woke up 7 times between 11pm and 4am... slept through my workout and then worked a 10 hour day.
    B - Coffee, egg whites, spinach, mushrooms, salsa
    S - peanut butter
    L - salad w/ smoked oysters
    S - almonds
    D - Fried oysters, salad, sweet potato fries
    S - Unsweetened almond milk cocoa

Highlight: Read about all the positive health benefits to nuts in my diet. Made me not feel as bad about the massive nut consumption. Also made me think I should try and switch to walnuts!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Happy birthday! I'm glad the challenge is going well for you.

From a primal standpoint, sleeping through spin class is a good thing. :-) I'm sure you have read Mark's take on cardio and on endurance events. Ultimately not good for your health. But if you enjoy them, grok on.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

PrimalCon New York
    What can I say - I really enjoy the endurance events. Been moving away from marathons to shorter races and triathlons - so that might be an improvement But I always try to lift very heavy and get sprints in as well.