Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear god do I actually need that much protein??? page

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member

Dear god do I actually need that much protein???

Primal Fuel
    After losing a significant amount of weight I'm working on rebuilding my strength - the consensus seems to be that you should eat 1g/lb or 2.5g/kg of your desired bodyweight if you're going to put on any muscle. This seems like a dumb questions, but do I really need that much? I'm 6'3" ~255lbs, so according to some calculator somewhere my RMR is around 3,800 calories/day and I'm supposed to eat 250ish grams of protein just to maintain my muscle mass? I just ate a pound of ground turkey with a bunch of spinach and a sweet potato and I'm going to eat some eggs later tonight but I seriously don't know if I can eat that much... I'm also mildly freaked out by the thought of eating until I'm stuffed after losing all that weight... any thoughts?

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Its 1g/lb of lean body mass, not your total weight. To maintain, you need only around 0.7g/lb of LBM.
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Well, you are kind of bulky and strong, judging by your avatar, however, if you read the Perfect Health Diet, the Jaminet's talk about how you don't need that much protein to build and maintain muscle. 0.8-1.2 g/kg would be more than enough, with the occasional supplementation with Leucine I belie (an aminoacid). It's more about the quality, and not the quantity.

The Jaminet's themselves eat 50g of protein per day just to give you an idea. And the guy is 6'1'' and 180lbs.

Massive amounts of protein can lead to ammonia poisoning in the long run and other toxicity side effects. Too much protein also leads to a decrease in longevity.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I had the same thought yesterday. I ate over a pound of beef heart in one meal and it is only about 90 grams of protein. I'm ~170 pounds and am trying to build muscle, so I would need to take in another whole pound to get the protein I "require". My eating window is usually only 5 hours long or so. I've been contemplating making it 8 hours so that I can stomach more protein.

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Monty! That pegs it at around 215g/day... I think that's doable. Now to find the cheapest source of quality protein available...

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Normally, I'd say not to worry about it, but with smolov- you'll need all the help you can get.

dado Guest
    I always wonder how the guys in prison come out massive when all they eat is garbage, pure garbage everyday. I like to think the body becomes more efficient, it makes it work somehow, if your protein intake is less than ideal. I don't know, man.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    I always wonder how the guys in prison come out massive when all they eat is garbage, pure garbage everyday. I like to think the body becomes more efficient, it makes it work somehow, if your protein intake is less than ideal. I don't know, man.
    The more I look around (to put it that way) the more I'm convinced that physical performance has more to do with actually doing shit than with what you're eating. Perfect example, I love to watch calisthenics videos the likes of Al Kavadlo for instance, or shit like the Bar-Barians, I love that stuff and aspire to become as strong as them. Turns out there's a calisthenics group made up entirely of vegan athletes. Go youtube "kalosthenos" the guy is pretty incredible and very strong. He just posted a video of doing 80+ muscle-ups in like 4 sets and under 5 minutes or something. Yet he's a vegan, he's got muscles, doesn't look like he's about to drop dead, and is definitely not pasty white reading poetry at a dive bar in Brooklyn. Do I know his diet intimately? hell no, he probably puts beans away like nobody's business for protein, but I don't think it's protein that's so intimately involved in whether you're strong or not.

Strength requires resistance training and rest first and foremost. I don't think protein intake is all it's cracked up to be when it comes to strength. That being said. I still emphasize protein because it's delicious, but unless I'm eating a lot of eggs or something, I probably get under 110 daily (but I don't track, so I have no idea)

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Just thought I'd mention the thing that stuck out when I read your first post - you actually think a pound of turkey and some eggs later is a lot of food? Is that a normal kind of day for protein intake for you?

Some of my best fat loss periods are when I'm eating tons of meat. Hell, on Whole30 I lost another 11 pounds after already going from 201 to 171, and I have several food logs from that period that look like this:

Breakfast - 4 eggs, 8 slices of bacon

Lunch - 1 lb ground beef, 1 cup tomato sauce, banana peppers, 1 can mushrooms

Supper - 24 chicken wings, big salad, boiled yam

Snack - 3 eggs, 6 slices of bacon

I'm also a scrawny bastard compared to you, ya big viking. Start eating!!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    Just thought I'd mention the thing that stuck out when I read your first post - you actually think a pound of turkey and some eggs later is a lot of food? Is that a normal kind of day for protein intake for you?

Some of my best fat loss periods are when I'm eating tons of meat. Hell, on Whole30 I lost another 11 pounds after already going from 201 to 171, and I have several food logs from that period that look like this:

Breakfast - 4 eggs, 8 slices of bacon

Lunch - 1 lb ground beef, 1 cup tomato sauce, banana peppers, 1 can mushrooms

Supper - 24 chicken wings, big salad, boiled yam

Snack - 3 eggs, 6 slices of bacon

I'm also a scrawny bastard compared to you, ya big viking. Start eating!!
    Actually, I wonder if there is something to that- the people I've known/trained/trained with who had large frames and gained muscles(and fat) easily rarely needed as much protein as you would think if you extrapolated from smaller people. Not sure if that points to an absolute protein range, or that naturally muscular people use protein more effectively. I know I can gain muscle with much less protein than is recommended...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast