Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies: yet another lie that makes us feel bad about ourselves page

Corvidae is offline Senior Member

Ladies: yet another lie that makes us feel bad about ourselves

Shop Now
    A friend of mine just shared this post with me and I found it interesting. I thought other ladies around here might as well:

no shit.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, I knew that, but mainly because I'm not quite 5'3" and wear a size 32DD bra. I don't normally get stuff tailored except hems and sometimes sleeves, but then I mainly wear t-shirts, which I am not about to start tailoring. I should find an inexpensive tailor for dresses though. Those are an absolute horror to find that fit.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Even just hand-stitching, custom-fitting a t-shirt is incredibly easy (if you just pinch & pin for the fit or use a well-fitting shirt as a template). Pants are easy too when you just need to adjust the width or length of the legs (not the waist, what a pain).

My issue is not with the fit, but the damn size inconsistencies!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    (not the waist, what a pain).
    And therein lies my challenge. If I can find something to fit over my pooching belly, hips, and thighs, I've got a bit gap in the waist, usually.

It's hard for me to justify paying for tailoring on clothes that are, I hope, temporary/transitional as I continue to move towards my "settled" weight. I honestly have no idea where that is or what my body will look like. I figure it'll be some weight at which I feel comfortably and can maintain my weight without superhuman efforts and obsessing. I'd like to think I'm not there yet.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    I'm not really quite certain how it's a lie as I don't think I've ever heard otherwise ... but yeah, tailoring your off the rack clothing will help them fit better and make you look better.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    I was referring more to the metaphorical lie of bad-fitting clothing making us feel imperfect, with no one telling us otherwise. I know no one ever told me. Im tall, so I always suffered from pants being too short, so without ever needing to think about hemming, "tailoring" clothes has never really come up in my mind. i wouldnt even know how to tell them what Id like.

Although, so much clothing these days is cheap, cheap, cheap flimsy stuff that doesnt even hold up after one wash. I imagine the thin stretchy fabrics would not be able to be tailored very well even if we wanted to.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I work in the fashion industry, and yes it's totally true. Nearly every shoot I tailor the clothes to fit, sometimes on that day, and this is on sample size girls. He is correct, people used to tailor everything. People just want a cheap price and nothing else now.

Also, most of the models have issues finding stuff that fit too. It's not just a size thing. Usually stuff is too short, or they don't sit right because of their longer body. (I have this issue too at a size 14/15)
    Last edited by Nion; 09-13-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Even just hand-stitching, custom-fitting a t-shirt is incredibly easy (if you just pinch & pin for the fit or use a well-fitting shirt as a template). Pants are easy too when you just need to adjust the width or length of the legs (not the waist, what a pain).

My issue is not with the fit, but the damn size inconsistencies!
    I totally suck at sewing. I can manage buttons, sometimes, but stitching a straight line? Never. I usually wear a S-M, depending on the shirt. Sometimes L if it's particularly clingy, and I don't care if they're a bit tight across my chest. Blouses are another story. If I want them to button they have to fit like a tent. And yeah, inconsistencies suck too. If I'm trying something on I often take three sizes to the dressing room with me.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    Ready-made clothes don't fit most women very well, and tailoring is awesome. But, that blog doesn't seem to have an explanation for the fact that so many female celebrities I see are wearing clothes that that do not fit or flatter their bodies at all.

I've never felt bad that pretty much all clothes that fit my shoulders and lower hips/butt are much too big in the bust, waist, (and also way too low/long - I am average height but have a 'petite' length torso, so many are far too long and their necklines leave my bra hanging out), upper hips, and thighs. But I am lucky to have been born with a good amount of self-confidence that only wavered for a couple years in my teens. I like shopping and I just take a lot of time to try things on, and at this point I have built us a good base of knowledge about what styles and brands have the best chance of working for me.

I don't have money for lots of tailoring, and I don't sew, so stretch jersey is my best friend. Also, custom-made clothes from etsy!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    This is limited to women? The Pitts and Clooneys out there are constantly in bespoke tailored clothes, even if it's a faded tee and carefully tattered jeans, same as the female celebs. Remember; they are billboards. You're real people. They're as sartorially sponsored as the logos on a NASCAR car.

I'm 6'3" with long legs and arms, and losing weight is making shirts that used to fit now looks like stupid tents - what a problem to have!

That's no reason to feel bad.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast