Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top level conditioning page

Alex Good is offline Senior Member

Top level conditioning

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay so I know I have the genetics to be an mma fighter (generations of family in various combat professions) but I don't have the money to spend on the gym yet.
    Any ideas for mma conditioning workouts while I save up?
    I already sprint once a week and was thinking of upping it to two. I also punch my heavy bag between two and seven times a week and weight lift between three and seven days a week (sometimes I take a rest day but usually not). I also try to spend two hours walking daily (that plus I can't drive) but some days I don't walk at all, other days I walk upwards of five hours.

Any ideas are appreciated.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Seems to me that sandbag and/or kettlebell training might be useful. With those things it often feels like you're "wrestling" with the equipment rather than simply moving it. Both are awesome for the grip too, which you'll need in MMA.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Seems to me that sandbag and/or kettlebell training might be useful. With those things it often feels like you're "wrestling" with the equipment rather than simply moving it. Both are awesome for the grip too, which you'll need in MMA.
    Yep. Sandbag training especially. Build one, start doing jogs/sprints uphill. That should kill you dead.

Sledgehammer + tire work as well, not just hitting tire, but if you can find one big enough flip it.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    I've been training in Muay Thai about 2-3 times a week for a few months now and I am convinced that the plyo work that I do during the week has been really beneficial to the explosiveness of my striking.

10 Primal Plyos to Make You Fitter, Faster and Stronger | Mark's Daily Apple

10 Primal Plyos for the Upper Body | Mark's Daily Apple

I also do a lot of high intensity, crossfit type workouts during the week.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Alex, you should ask iniQuity to send you the pdf of Ross Enamait's ultimate warrior book, thats got loads of high end conditioning ideas and workouts, and take a look at the tread "Are you taking your training too lightly" that iniQuity started, I think its in the fitness section.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

donjon is offline Junior Member
    If your serious about competing in MMA at an elite level your gonna need a lot more training than that. Google john berardis g flux and implement some of his ideas, they will get you on the right track imo.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Olympic lifting, bodyweight conditioning, sprinting and fighting are about all you need.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Best suggestion: find some like minded people and practice! Nothing tires me out like full on sparring.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Lift some heavy ass weights... get as strong as you can.
    BODY BY SCIENCE (VIDEO 3): “CARDIO”

Greggers069 is offline Member
    So many things you could do.. Work on strength, especially pulling strength, sprints, sparring, and try to get a bag and throw it around. Simulate throws. This may work out ok until you get into a gym.. Remember make sure you gym has someone who also works out with strikes as well as grappling..
    Starting Date: August 11, 2011
    Starting Weight: 330 pounds
    Current Weight: 310 pounds
    Goal Weight: 210 pounds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast