Thread: Primal Journal (talia) page

talia is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (talia)

Starting one day late, but I ate pretty much in line with the guidelines so I'll yesterday's eating in a separate post.

History:
    I've always had weight swings. I'm currently on a health kick and have returned to the eating habits that have proven most effective for me. I've also ramped up to more exercise (I work a desk job and when it gets stressful I tend to exercise less instead of more). For exercise I do Pilates and Kickboxing classes, as well as recreational cycling. Plus lots of walking.

A few years ago I gained and was up to 200 lbs. after a hip surgery. I then slowly brought it down with diet and exercise. At the lowest I was 159 but stabilized around 164. But last winter I started gaining again, up to a recent max of 175. I also wasn't exercising consistently. On 9/7 I weighed in at 173.8 and started exercising again. Also shifted my diet to remove almost all simple carbohydrates. Today I weighed in at 167.2. Losing 6+ pounds in 7 days is very surprising. I use an Omron body fat monitor and though my body fat percentage has dropped, so has my lean body mass - by about equal amounts. I'm hoping the PB approach can help me maintain my LBM (at around 120 lbs) while losing weight.

Current state
    Weight: 167.2
    Body fat: 28.5 %

Eventual goal
    Weight: 150
    Body fat: 20%
    Real changes to diet and exercise that I continue to apply for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by talia; 09-14-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Day One

Primal Food Intake Today:

B: Hard-boiled egg, 1 slice high-fiber bread, coffee with 2 oz skim milk
    S: baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, almonds
    L: smoothie (strawberries, blueberries, spinach, Almased powder)
    S: 10g 70% chocolate, 10 Mary's Gone Crackers
    D: Chobani 0% greek yogurt, 1/2 tbsp agave nectar, cashews
    S: 1 oz vodka with seltzer & twist of lime

WOD: Hm, does dancing at a concert count?
    Last edited by talia; 09-13-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Day Two
    Tuesday, September 13

Primal Food Intake Today:
    B: hard-boiled egg, 1 slice high-fiber bread with almond butter, snow peas & swiss chard sauteed with avocado oil & apple cider vinegar, coffee with unsweetened soymilk
    S: cashews, turkey-vegetable chili, Mary's Gone Crackers
    L: smoothie (strawberries, blueberries, spinach, Almased powder)
    S: baby carrots, sunflower seeds (raw)
    D: 1/2 Lara Bar
    S: Pork-Stuffed Pepper (from the MDA Reader-Created Cookbook!), broccoli soup, 70% dark chocolate

WOD: Bunch of light weight lifting, wall sits combined with shoulder + arm work, shadowboxing, bicycle crunches, leg lifts (for abs), squats, burpees, mountain climbers

Goals: Some of the primal eating rules seem really strict. I'd have a hard time giving up my one piece of bread in the morning but might try to do that next week. Cashews, snow peas and soybeans (and soymilk) are off-limits in the book I was reading - I'm not sure how I feel about giving those up. I have previously given up coffee to positive results so I might try to do that in a couple weeks. I'm pretty sure my smoothie isn't totally in line with PB food guidelines will try to make those less often. Other than that, for some reason the sprint intimidates me. Actually, a few years ago I had a running-induced injury so I guess the reason isn't so mysterious. Anyway, so my one goal this week is to do the sprint and not be a wuss about it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day Three
    Wednesday, September 14

B: Greek yogurt with a bit of agave nectar, double fiber bread with 1/2 a mashed avocado on top, hard-boiled egg
    S: Broccoli soup (broc, spinach, cauliflower, onion, celery, vegetable stock, avocado oil)
    L: Pork-stuffed Pepper
    S: Cashews & 1/2 a Lara Bar
    D: Broiled beef tips, mashed cauliflower with olive oil, 1pc dark chocolate, steamed swiss chard

WOD: Nada

The beef I had for dinner was grass-fed from a farm upstate (I'm in NYC). It was amazing. For a lean cut it was amazingly tender and flavorful. I almost regretted flavoring it (we rubbed it with salt, pepper and sesame oil). We have several more pounds of various meats in our freezer (we got our first delivery from our CSA). Next up: some pulled pork made out of the huge pork shoulder we got.

Resolved that when my current loaf of bread runs out I won't buy a new one. Ditto my box of Mary's Gone Crackers (they have quinoa and rice). At least, I won't eat these things until I get back from a trip at the end of October. My trip includes trekking in the Himalayas and visiting India - meaning tons of carb-based food. I hear more carbs are better when one is at high altitudes. Should be interesting trying to stay primal while coping with local cuisine and the altitude.

My weight loss is slowing down but it looks like my lean body mass is no longer decreasing as I lose. Can't wait to see what happens over the next week!