Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil as Deodorant page

Heidi is offline Senior Member

Coconut Oil as Deodorant

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is there anything that coconut oil can't do? Yesterday I used a dab of coconut oil on each armpit. After spending the day chasing my youngest around, mowing the lawn, and doing cardio on the elliptical, my pits didn't smell one bit afterward! I can't even say that for regular deodorant. It was so amazing that I offered hubby the honor of sniffing my odorless pits. (Okay so that wasn't going to happen, but the look on his face when I asked was priceless.)
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Rae1219 is offline Junior Member
    That's really interesting. Did you use regular, plain CO out of the jar?
    I just googled coconut oil deodorant and the first thing I noticed was that Tropical Traditions makes one Aluminum-Free Deodorants - Tropical Traditions
    But surely, if plain oil works, then that's much easier! Cool discovery

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    That's pretty cool. I will have to try it out on a non-work day, just in case it doesn't work for me.

Right now I'm using the thai deodorant stone, which does work pretty well and is cheap. It doesn't do much if I'm already smelly (but what deodorant does?), but it does keep me from stinking if I don't.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    iiiiinteresting....

I admit, ive been holding on to my CW deodorant, but mostly because I work in an office and tend to go out for walks a lot and since I already walk around in socks/barefoot a lot, I think smelling strongly (not smelling bad, just having a smell that didnt come from some overpriced bottle of chemicals :P) would be just one eccentricity too many.

But I might have to try this out.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I add baking soda and some scented oil (currently using lavender) to it and mix it all together. There is another thread on here with the exact amounts.

Some people also put corn starch into it.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Nice! I use a salt crystal, but honestly, I stopped smelling since going primal.

meepster is offline Senior Member
    I use it too. No baking soda added or anything - just straight coconut oil. For me, it gives out around mid-day, but I work at home so I can always reapply.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I read on a site the other day about a bazillion uses for coconut oil and one was what IcarianVX mentioned for mixing your own coconut oil based deodorant. Straightup baking soda works well enough for me, though I don't use it often, but I have also noticed that my overall under-arm smell has reduced since going primal. It used to be pretty constant, now it only happens every now and then or with exertion.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

clemgrad is offline Junior Member
    Be aware that the build up of oil over time will cause the arm pits of your shirts to yellow. I've been using a coconut oil mixture for deodorant for about 6 months and started noticing it recently. I did some research and found the best way to prevent it is to spray straight distilled vinegar to the area as a prewash. Dry in the sun if possible.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Rae, yep, I used the oil out of the jar. Just a small dab rubbed on each armpit did the trick.

Icarian, I saw a recipe online for making coconut oil deodorant and that's what got me curious about it. I'm too lazy to actually mix things together, hence me just using the oil. I was concerned that only using coconut oil would be greasy, but it rubs right in without leaving my pits wet.

Glamorama, I think it's been the opposite with me--since going primal, my armpits have gotten funkier. Using the coconut oil was a shot-in-the-dark kind of thing for me. Before that I had tried a few aluminum-free brands (Tom's, Trader Joe's, Jason) and they all didn't work well (though Jason came close).

Uncephalized and Corvidae, if it worked for my stinky pits, I'm hopeful it'll do the job in a work environment. It boggles my mind that something as simple as coconut oil could get rid of odor better than deodorants at the store. Now I'm wondering what other natural remedies I should be trying--so much to learn still!

Meepster, that's cool you use coconut oil too. Interesting that it doesn't last a full day for you, though. I am routinely soaked in sweat and the oil has held up great the past 2 days. I want to know why the coconut oil works. The only thing I could find was an unsourced tidbit about it eating the bacteria that causes odor. Wish there was more info out there.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast