Thread: Primal Journal (otraynor) page

otraynor is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (otraynor)

Primal Fuel
    Hello All,

I am a long time reader, but this is my first attempt at posting or commenting. Paleo first entered my radar when John Durant of Hunter-Gatherer.com was a guest of the Colbert Report. I had been tested for Celiac in the past (positive blood work, negative endoscopy), so any talk of a gluten free diet was newly intriguing. Starting with Hunter-Gatherer, I began to read blogs and books on the Paleo lifestyle, and how it could be the answer to my new dietary restrictions. It is also worth mentioning that I am a collegiate rower at a D-I program, so I needed a diet that would be able to support that kind of workload.

I began seriously following a gluten free diet this past summer, and re-read Loren Cordain's The Paleo Diet for Athletes. Burned out from a long nine months of training and racing, I took a 4-week hiatus from any physical activity and gained about 15 pounds, leveling off at about 212. I am 6'4", so I do not suddenly consider myself fat; however, it was the heaviest I had ever been. More importantly, in rowing one's strength to weight ratio is quite important. Anyone can pull good numbers on an erg (the rowing machine). The real challenge lies in pulling your own weight down the course more efficiently than the next guy. Hence, my decision to get back down to ~200lbs.

Just this morning I weighed in at 207, after an easy, morning row in the pair. Returning to my house, I decided to see if my man Mark had any tips for the day. I am glad that I checked MDA today, because this 30-Day Challenge is exactly what I need. Accountability is one of the core mantras of my team. Though I may not get any readers here, the sense of accountability inherent in such a public forum will serve only to ignite a greater passion for the Challenge.

tl;dr - I am a rower with possible Celiac who gained weight over the summer and would like to lose it. Wish me luck!

Thank you for reading,
    Owen

Would that I were able to prepare my own meals! Eating paleo in a dining hall is less than appetizing some days. Here is the rundown for today:

Technique Row, 7-8:15am

B: Scrambled eggs, some sausage, fruit salad (cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, grapes), apple and orange juice

L: Salad (mixed greens, grape tomatoes, onions, sweet peppers, balsamic vinaigrette), 2 medium sized chicken breasts topped with a slice of tomato and bit of melted muenster, water

Practice, 4-7pm

D: Coconut Chicken, steamed carrots and peas, chana masala, milk, water

Legumes appear to be my slip up of the day

nowakow2 is offline Junior Member
    I'm eating in a dining hall too! Isn't it the worst? Takes some serious creativity.

Coconut chicken ?! That sounds amazing!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Owen. Good luck with the challenge.

Fresh legumes such as peas are fine.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

nowakow2, I'm glad to hear I am not the only one suffering through a dining hall. The dining services staff here are creative, to say the least, for which I am grateful. It takes some of the burden off of my back. Hedonist, thanks for clarifying the bit about legumes.

I forget what I ate yesterday, but I did reasonably well on the 10k erg test we had that afternoon, placing 7th out of about 45 guys. I say reasonably well mainly because I felt much more exhausted than usual after the piece. Perhaps my body needs more time to adjust to using fat sources, instead of carbohydrates, for energy. Regardless, I was pleased with my performance and glad to see that I could pull a good score having been a week or so primal/paleo and not just gluten free. Here is today's summary:

7:30 - first hills session of the fall! 6 hills

B - Scrambled eggs, sausage, 1/2 grapfruit, milk, apple juice, water, fruit salad (cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, grapes)

L - grilled up some chicken and sprinkled salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder on top, paired with assorted steamed veggies and a strawberry-banana smoothie (with a dash of key lime yogurt)

Practice: 4-7, switched from starboard to port; formed port blisters tore open starboard calluses. Ow.

D - Romaine lettuce wraps (because they finally had huge romaine hearts again!) a) two chicken breasts, tomato, swiss cheese b) chicken and stir fried beef, tomato, swiss cheese, cauliflower, carrots

Meals for yesterday and today:

B: scrambled eggs, fruit salad, bacon
    L: spinach, mushroom, potato frittata, mixed green salad with chicken, grape tomatoes
    Practice 3-7
    D: Dad visited, so he took my brother and me to the local Ruth's Chris steakhouse! I had a mixed green salad w/ pecans, grapes, and a bit of feta, 2 shrimp-topped petite filets, asparagus, and creamed spinach

Light - B: scrambled eggs, apple, banana
    Practice 9-12
    L: 3 chicken breasts topped with marinara and parmesan, snow peas
    D: Marinated beef, 1/2 a yam, asparagus, carrots

I need a break from asparagus. My pee smells.

B/L: eggs, sausage, juice

D: Salad from a middle eastern place (grilled chicken, hot sauce, hummus, lettuce, tomato, hot peppers, onions, pickles, tabouleh, tahina, yogurt cucumber sauce)

Yesterday's schedule

7am row
    B: eggs, fruit, juice
    L: grilled 3 pieces of chicken, paired with some kind of spinach, green bean and carrot dish
    Practice: 3-6:30
    D: beef brisket, green beans, grilled veggies (onion, cucumber, squash), 1/4 sweet potato

Yesterday and today's eats:

B: eggs, fruit, bacon
    L: 2 chicken breasts, peas and carrots
    D: pollock, leftover beef brisket, asparagus, sweet peppers

B: eggs, sausage, honeydew, 1/2 grapefruit
    L: 3 chicken-tomato lettuce wraps (1 for each chicken breast)
    D: roast turkey, mashed sweet and regular potatoes, broccoli, cranberry sauce

Down to 203/204 at the end of the day on Wednesday. I have lost most of the water weight, so things are starting to slow down, but I am feeling good nonetheless!

I installed f.lux the other day. It's a lot easier to do work at night when the screen isn't making my eyes sore.

Today's meals:
    B: eggs, bacon, honeydew, grapefruit

L: 3 chicken breasts, 1/2 of a red sweet pepper, caprese salad

D: 3 chicken breasts with bourbon seasoning, green beans, squash