Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I KNOW I am burning fat? Newbie here! page

Shami Guest

Shop Now

Hi! I am confused. I followed the PB for one week and not one pound lost. Went off (due to incredible temptations on vacation) for one week my heartburn came back and I felt terrible. I am so tired of being tired. So, I started eating primal now and I do love how I feel. Wow, I am having trouble sleeping at night. Have so much energy.

I want my body to burn my extra 55 lbs. of fat, not my fat/protein from food, right?

How do I know if my body is using the stored fat, instead of the fat from my food?

This whole way of eating makes so much sense to me, even the IF. I don't have Mark's book, yet, so I am relying on this website and your comments. Thanks everyone!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

In a week? You could buy ketosis strips and test your urine. But why bother? Have some patience and wait a month and then weigh yourself.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Shami Guest

Patience? What's that? Don't have ANY! Can I buy a bottle of patience somewhere?

I guess I was looking for some formula to jump start the fat burning off of my too large body. After a little more reading in the weight loss section, it seems people either do something like the first two weeks of atkins or they keep their carbs under 50g.

Any one else have a quick answer for a newbie...a very impatient newbie! lol Maybe try IF. Or am I too new to the program to do that?

newmama Guest

I'm also new, and I have been doing it one week too. I would guess you don't instantly start burning fat, but I have lost a couple of pounds this week. Just hang in there. Every body is different, so maybe your system needs more time. I can send you a bottle of patience.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

You'll notice a different smell - not a good one though. I think it comes out of your nose as you exhale. That tells you something's happening.

Or is it just me?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Ika
    Ika is offline Member

I would say try doing like a primal version of the Atkins indcution phase (about 20-30g carbs/day). You can still eat plenty of veggies (see Marks recipe for a "Big Ass Salad"!) but just hold off on the fruit, berries and nuts for a while (while they are nutritious, its not necesarry to eat fruit/berries/nuts--you can still get plenty of vitamins and minerals from just your veggies, espeically if its just short term). This is basically what me and my fiancee did/are doing and it works well for jump-starting your weight loss in a healthy way. One thing to watch out for is that it will have a strong diuretic effect (you will pee off a lot of water weight) so you need to stay hydrated (but like Mark says--just drink when you&#39;re thirsty, you don&#39;t need to count out 8-8oz glasses or whatever) and maybe take a supplement that has magnesium/potassium/calcium in it (we take Natural Calm + Calcium) as a precaution, to balance electrolyte levels.

I.F. is also a good idea, but maybe give your body a week or two to get adapted to burning fat and get over carb withdrawl (if that happens to you). The easiest way to start (this is how I do it) is to just eat breakfast later than usual (like around lunch time) and then you have a good 13-14 hour stretch of time from your last meal the day before.

I totally understand that some people just need that extra "jump start" to motivate them when they start losing weight (my fiancee is like that). Lowering carbs for a couple weeks might be just what you need! And since everyone is differnt you can experiment with what feels "right" for your body. Remember, this is a lifestyle...it might take some time but eventually when you&#39;re eating right your body will gravitate towards your ideal weight! Good Luck and Welcome!

My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Ika
    Ika is offline Member

Hmmmm Raphael...I can&#39;t say I&#39;ve noticed that before! However, I have heard of "ketosis breath", which is supposed to smell kind of weird and sweet? I haven&#39;t noticed that either, though, so maybe I&#39;m just used to it or somehting!!

David is offline Senior Member

Ika,

The only way that I think a person could stay in between 20g to 30g of carbs is to consume mainly green leaf veggies each day. Eat peppers, tomatoes, carrots, asparagus, veggies like that, seems to put the carb anty up to 50 to maybe 80grams a day.

Do you agree? Mark&#39;s BAS (salad) has quite a few carbs in it. Consume that a couple times a day and the count should be near 70grams+, along with other types of carbs such as nuts...

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

David, it&#39;s not that hard to stay around 20-30 g of carbs per day. No sugars or starches is of course the beginning, but just eggs and maybe a little cheese for breakfast, meat and a bit of salad for lunch, and meat and a side veggie for supper will do it. Mark is not trying to lose weight, so the tomatoes and snow peas are not a problem for him. For those of us working at shedding pounds, a little onion and mushrooms might not be too bad, but even turnips, carrots, and beets need to be treats, not everyday veggies.

Ika
    Ika is offline Member

I do agree with David that the carbs in veggies can add up, but I just looked up some total (not minus fiber) carb counts for some veggies: for instance

Brocolli = 5.84g/cup

Green Pepper = 6.91g/cup

Cucumber = 1.89g/cup

Carrot = 12.26g/cup (wow, thats higher than I thought!)

...So I suppose if you put in a cup of several different veggies, you might have trouble staying under 20g carbs/day. I guess my salads are perhaps not "big ass salads"... more like medium size...haha For example, I put maybe a 1/4 cup of each of those veggies in (plus maybe a little jicama and red onion), with maybe a cup or 2 of lettuce. But if you only eat one salad a day, plus one serving of veggies with meat for supper, and like eggs or something for breakfast, it shouldn&#39;t be too hard to stay under 20-30g carbs as long as you aren&#39;t eating any fruit or berries or nuts, and avoiding the higher-carb veggies. I think the Atkins induction breaks it down to 2 cups of "salad veggies (like cucumbers, lettuce, celery)" and 1 cup of other veggies (like brocolli, cauliflower, spagetti squash)per day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast