Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D page

Bone Collector is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but have been Primal for about 1 year. I have been using Damage Control Master Formula during that time and feel good. However, I was reading about vitamin D deficiency and am wondering if I need more than the 500 IU in DCMF. I work outside and in the summer I get plenty of sun, but now I'm pretty well covered up. (The high today is 7* fahrenheit). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

There's an organization called GrassrootsHealth (https://www.grassrootshealth.net/) that is self-described as "A Consortium of Scientists, Institutions and Individuals Committed to Solving the Worldwide Vitamin D Deficiency Epidemic"

For $40, they'll send you a test kit, which requires you to put 2 drops of blood on a little card and send it back to them. Within a few weeks, they'll post the result on their secure site. You can opt in for an automatic charge 6 months later and a new test kit to see if any supplements you're taking are raising your vitamin D level.

I just got my results back this weekend, and my D level is really low! Total level: 27. Gotta get me some D3 supplements right away.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

Definitely get tested!! I had mine tested and it was 42-- which is on the brink, so took 2000 iu per day for four months. The next test i was at 27!! I had to go to 10,000 i.u. for 30 days, then down to 4000 i.u. as a maintenance dose. And I do get outside and get sun, I live in San Diego! But it has to be the right time of day, etc. etc.

I would definitely test first, because you don't want to add too much if your levels are good, and you might have to supplement higher if your levels are extra low.

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Hmmmm, I've been planning to take 2000 IU per day for the next few months to see if that helps on my next test. From your results, Minxxa, maybe I should take more?

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

Not sure how it works really... I do know that 2000 iu didn't even maintain me. I do 4000 right now, because the 10000 for a month bumped me up to around 75ish? I'm not sure if the dosage is dependent upon our individual systems. I do think perhaps trying a higher dose for a short time might be helpful-- but I'd research it more first.

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

FairyRae2 Guest

I find the vit. D council info helpful: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

nina_70 Guest

I agree w/ the others. Definitely get tested. I am outside everyday for at least an hour and I was astonished to see my Vit D level test at 25 (way, way low).

As for supplementation amounts I'm starting at 8,000IU per day based on my low level and then going from there after another test.

PaNu blog has good recommendations for supplementation:
    [quote]

Ideally, get your 25(OH)D level and ionized calcium measured, and if it is less than 40 ng/ml, take 8000 iu/day for two months and measure it again. If 40-50, take 6000 iu/day. Any day you get full-dose sun, skip the oral dose. If still below 50 ng/ml, add 2000 iu/day with each two month increment until your interval two month reading is above 50 ng/ml. Once you are stabilized above 50ng/ml, check your levels annually </blockquote>

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...vitamin-d.html

Double-A is offline Junior Member

I just ramped up to about 16,000 IU/day myself. I do not get much sun and have suffered from really bad Seasonal Affective Disorder every year until this one (yay Primal!) I do believe the Vitamin D is helping.

The first sign of D overdose is headache - I&#39;ve been slowly ramping up my intake, but if I start getting headaches I will drop back down.

I&#39;ll let y&#39;all know what my bloodwork is if I can ever afford to get it done -_-

Wow! These doses are much higher than I&#39;d expected. I just ordered 2,000 IU gel caps, so guess I&#39;ll start off with maybe 3 per day. My next test is due in 5 months, and if this dosage isn&#39;t effective, I&#39;ll raise it a bit. Good advice about the headaches, Aaron.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

I am using the headache test myself ;-).

In India the requirement is not so much. But I still take about 3000IU. 5000IU alternate day with about 1000IU from cod liver oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast