Thread: Anyone know what's growing in my backyard? page

rrrrrick is offline Member

Anyone know what's growing in my backyard?

Primal Fuel
    A tree behind my house has started producing fruit that looks like crabapples, but the actual flesh is like a peach. I manned up and tried some and it was really sour, but when I manned up again and tried a couple thatlooked like they had been on the ground a day or so it tasted like a plum. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Sharyn is offline Junior Member
    Hi Rrrrrrrick - hard to tell without a photo, but sounds like a cherry? Maybe have a look at the different types of cherries on Wikipedia.

Lindsey is offline Senior Member
    It may be apricot but again it is difficult without a photo

Bamaphotopro is offline Senior Member
    As you are in Arkansas, could it be a Persimmon?
    Bamaphotopro - Wedding & Portrait Photographer, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Age 56 - Quad Bypass Survivor, Sept. 16, 2005
    Went Primal - 8/22/2011 - 218 lbs.
    9/13/2011 - 206 lbs. (Wife Noticed!)
    Next Goal - 200 lbs. - Leaner & Stronger

http://www.momentsnoticed.com

Facebook Personal Profile (Friend Me!):
    http://www.facebook.com/Bamaphotopro

Facebook Pro Page (Be a Fan!):
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moment...C/111048610165

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Maybe a chickasaw plum. They grow wild around here at least. They have very small fruit with a largish seed in the center, red skin, yellow flesh, and the fruit seems to seperate from the branch very readily.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    I was also going to say persimmon - they are very astringent til the first frost and then they ripen. If that's what they are, the tree will lose its leaves and the bare branches will be full of golden fruit - it's rather neat looking. However they are typically larger than a crabapple.

This thread needs pics!

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kitana View Post
    I was also going to say persimmon - they are very astringent til the first frost and then they ripen. If that's what they are, the tree will lose its leaves and the bare branches will be full of golden fruit - it's rather neat looking. However they are typically larger than a crabapple.
    Unripe persimmons usually arent sour, though; theyre extremely alkaline. It tastes like youve bitten into bitter chalk and the taste covers your mouth and will not go away for minutes on end.

(There was a GORGEOUS persimmon tree in the yard of the house next to mine when i grew up. But in California it doesnt frost often enough, or as cold, so these beautiful orange acorn-shaped fruit would never ripen and hang on the tree to taunt me and the neighbor-kids. Every year we hoped that this year would be the year they would be good to eat. We were always wrong.)
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!