Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: vanilla latte? page 2

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    What about soy milk lattes?
    Soy milk is the most processed food on the planet. Amongst other things. Drop it now!

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Find a local coffee shop that uses fresh espresso. Good coffee and tea need no sweetener.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I learned the most magical of words: breve. Ask for this at your good coffee shop, and you'll get your drink made with half-and-half or cream. Confuses the hell out of Starbucks baristas, but a breve cappuccino is a wonderful thing. Also, any good place should use whole milk by default, IMO. I love my fave coffee place--the staff cringe when people order things with skim milk.

Also, if you want vanilla, add actual vanilla extract. Artificial flavours are nasty. Once your palate adjusts, you'll find that steamed dairy is sweet all by itself (the steaming breaks down the sugars), and you should be able to enjoy your latte without the horror that is sugar-free syrup.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Not exactly a latte, but iced coffee with unsweetened almond milk and NuNaturals vanilla liquid stevia extract for 27 calories:

Only 27 Calories: 24oz Super Sweet Iced Coffee | Jenn's Menu & Lifestyle Blog

Tastes amazing!
    that looks great! what almond milk brand did you use? how much stevia did you use? gonna try this. I imagine if you steam the milk it will taste good too? not sure how almond milk tastes steamed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I learned the most magical of words: breve. Ask for this at your good coffee shop, and you'll get your drink made with half-and-half or cream. Confuses the hell out of Starbucks baristas, but a breve cappuccino is a wonderful thing. Also, any good place should use whole milk by default, IMO. I love my fave coffee place--the staff cringe when people order things with skim milk.

Also, if you want vanilla, add actual vanilla extract. Artificial flavours are nasty. Once your palate adjusts, you'll find that steamed dairy is sweet all by itself (the steaming breaks down the sugars), and you should be able to enjoy your latte without the horror that is sugar-free syrup.
    I'll have to try a breve capuchino next time I'm at sbux. Any idea if they use cream or half and half with their breves? Can you only get capuchinos breve? or can you get lattes this way too?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I've tried replacing the milk with whipping cream for a lot of the beverages, and they tried to charge me an extra 60 cents. urgh =(

the person that creates a paleo friendly vanilla latte would be my hero. I just don't think it is possible. Even to get it remotely close to tasting like a vanilla latte. The things I have to give up...it hurts.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    the person that creates a paleo friendly vanilla latte would be my hero. I just don't think it is possible. Even to get it remotely close to tasting like a vanilla latte. The things I have to give up...it hurts.
    Make it a once a month treat?

Westly is offline Senior Member
    Barista here!

The reason they charged you extra for the Man Cream (That's Manufacturing cream!) is because it costs them more to stock it. Breve (Half and Half) Also costs more for the store. It's not them being jerks, it's that it's legitimately more expensive!

(It's also really hard to steam to a good dry cap, but we had a guy that came in and ordered it EVERY DAY.)

If you're looking for sweet, ask for your shots to be pulled rissistratto (Sp?) or 'short'. It makes the espresso sweeter, rather than having a deeper burned taste. Also, don't get french roast, but try for one of the Indo-Pacific coffees. They're a lot smoother and sweeter than others.

Woo! Barista-ing!
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    that looks great! what almond milk brand did you use? how much stevia did you use? gonna try this. I imagine if you steam the milk it will taste good too? not sure how almond milk tastes steamed though.
    I just use Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk and several drops of liquid stevia; about 3 half dropper's worth in a 24oz cup. NuNaturals vanilla is my favorite. I've never tried steaming the milk, I prefer chilled coffees.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast