Thread: RDOwens: Blueprint of My Success page

RDOwens is offline Junior Member

RDOwens: Blueprint of My Success

Shop Now
    I've come to primal living via a few paths. Family will tell you that philosophically, I have been aligned with the lifestyle and have been for years. Living it, however, has been less than successful.

At the beginning of April it just kind of clicked: I'm a middle-aged man whose government labels him obese. I had never dieted nor tried to lose weight. My once fairly active life had become rather sedentary. My wife put me in touch with her trainer. I began working out twice a week and counting calories. As a school teacher, I upped that to thrice a week for the summer. From mid-April to the beginning of August I had lost 45 pounds. My once bulging gut had then shrunk enough that I considered my body shape in the normal range.

Sensing I was going to give up my trainer due to the financial burden, I began researching weight training routines for me to complete at the public gym. That brought me to another site. There there is a large population who keep paleo. I tried it, lost 10 pounds immediately. I also lost all strength and I was miserable. After a week to 10 days, I bailed.

But I kept reading. After a vacation, I returned. I realized I wasn't eating enough. Again, I lost 10 pounds immediately. The weight is now holding steady. I keep thinking I am not working out enough, but that probably isn't it.

I am pretty good keeping primal. I haven't addressed the Diet Coke yet. I picked up some dried fruit and was surprised to see there was sugar added there. Sigh . . .

I eat too many nuts. Almonds and cashew butter I think are too much for my weight loss. I also seem, which seems to rival what little I have picked up here so far, to have gains when I consume bacon. When I don't, I drop the pound or two I pick up when I eat it. Odd. I like bacon, but it isn't cooperating with me.

At this point, I think I just need to purify my diet. It was easy shunning the breads et al. Alcohol isn't a problem as I am not a big drinker to begin with. Even granola bars etc. have been fairly easy to avoid. I don't see the leaning I expected to see.

I definitely have more energy than I have in a long time. Down more than 60 pounds to date, I look and feel better than I have in almost 20 years. I feel, however, that I am plateauing at this point. I need another surge. The 30-day challenge is right for this.

FWIW, I commit to completing a WOW every Wednesday. My schedule is so packed presently that I don't know how much I can (or want to) change things around. Presently, doing heavy lifting workouts thrice a week. Been trying to find a day to swim, but haven't as of yet. I am pretty certain I can get the WOW in on Hump Day though.

Looking forward to this. Thanks for a great community; I'll need all the support I can get.
    Last edited by RDOwens; 09-12-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Changed title preposition

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! You are doing great already!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Wow you have done awesome, 60 pounds is no easy feat! By how much are you still overweight? The Leptin-reset might help if you have stalled. It really helps in terms of cleaning up the hormones and the fat burning working properly.

RDOwens is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for the kind words.

I have no idea how much overweight I am at this point. I am less concerned with the number and more concerned with how I look. I still have flab in the middle, although the government no longer considers me obese. Realistically, 20-25 pounds is probably right, but if I lost none and just leaned out, I would be fine. Seriously!

I am not too far off this Leptin-reset, if I understand it correctly.