Thread: Primal Journal (Mick1967) page

Mick1967 is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (Mick1967)

Shop Now
    I'm starting the Primal Blueprint today. It also happens to be the first day of the 2011 Primal Blueprint 30-Day Challenge.

My beginning stats:
    Male
    5'8"
    Type II Diabetes

From reading the book over the weekend and doing the various calculations, here's what I've come up with:
    BMI: 47.89 (151 lbs of fat, 164 lbs of lean muscle mass)
    BMR: 2592.85
    Moderately Active(I've been walking 3 hours a week and doing a set of core exercises 2-3x per week for the last month or so)

That gives me a Daily Caloric Need of 4019.

To lose 8 lbs a month, that gives me a Desired average caloric intake of 3087.

Daily grams of Protein of 114.8 (460 cals)
    Daily grams of Carbs of 75 (300 cals)
    Daily grams of Fat of 258.55 (2327 cals, goodness that's alot)

Hopefully those calculations are correct. If not, please let me know.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Mick! Don't worry too much about calories. 75 grams of carbs and 115 of protein should be ok. Let your body decide how much fat.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Welcome and good luck my friend! I'll echo what Hedonist said: it may seem like a lot but treat it as a super high limit. You likely won't want that much fat and that's fine. Eating less than that will only cut your calories down more and give you a bigger loss for the day. Great job for ponying up! Good luck!

Thank you both for the welcome and the advice.

So my story leading up to going Primal....

I've been overweight most of my life. When I was 18, I lost 104 lbs. in 5 months on a low calorie, low carb diet getting down to 178 lbs. For the next 5 years, I battled as my weight flucuated between 200 lbs and a one time low of 168. At some point, I started lossing that battle and ended up at 320 by the time I was 32. About this time, I discovered the Protein Power Plan and lost 50ish lbs. But I plateaued after 4 or 5 months, as the carb creep slowly infiltrated my daily meals. Two years ago I started doing NutriSystem and lost 60 lbs in 5 months until the Holiday season and the divorce was finalized the day after Christmas. That led to a less than stellar 2010.

In July of this year, I read a book called, "Warrior" by Geoff Thompson that inspired me to action. I started back on NutriSystem, walking each day and doing a set of core exercises 2 or 3 times a week. But this time the weight didn't come off as fast as it did last time and more importantly, it wasn't having as a dramatic effect on my blood sugar levels. Tracking my food, I could see that even though I was on the Diabetic Plan, I was still eating 200+ grams of carbs each day(3 servings of fruit, lots of high fiber bread and whatever was in the NutriSystem meals I was eating).

I'd been lurking on MDA for 3 or 4 months and was intrigued by the Primal Blueprint. And having been on the Protein Power Plan in the past, I knew that this sort of eating plan seemed to work well for me, so.....here I am.

The first week is in the books(or the digital journal as it were).

Eating wise, pretty easy. Was at or lower than 50 carbs a day for the week. Other than some late morning/early afternoon nasuea the first day(which I suspect was caused by the SoDelicious Coconut "Milk"), I haven't experienced any sort of low carb flu symptoms. My energy levels have been pretty good, I've continued to do my daily walks, but I laid off the other workouts for this first week. Today, I tried a little fasting by skiping breakfast and lunch.....and it went surprisingly well. A few hunger pangs here and there, but very doable.

By reading the various boards, I could see that making sure you're getting enough fat is the key to success, both short term and long term. And that is something that, for me, is very easy to do. I don't miss the grains or the starch at all. Give me an avocado any day of the week.

The effect on my blood sugar has been OK, though not as well as I'd hoped, but I probably need to give it a little more time.

All and all, I declare the week a rousing success and give going Primal.....5 out of 5 Groks.

For the second week, I want to add in a workout or two and I want to add in some Play.

Be well(not meaning to steal Mark's signoff, but I've been using "Be well" for years)

1st Week Weigh-In: 304.4 lbs
    Weekly Weight Loss: 9.8 lbs
    Total Weight Loss: 9.8 lbs

Brianna is offline Member
    COOL! 9.8 pounds !
    Quit being paranoid, Brianna! Everyone is way too wrapped up in their own problems to be hating on you.