Thread: New meat!! page

MedicDan is offline Junior Member

New meat!!

Hello all. My name is Dan and I'm new here. I have been on the paleo diet for about two months. I started at 195lbs and I'm around 173-175lbs. I got to that weight with just doing the paleo, no working out.
    I have done the primal fitness a few times, but not on a regular basis.

Backstory:
    I had been a vegetarian for about 8 years when my best friend (who's never been a vegetarian) started reading about this paleo thing. We where partners in EMS, so we'd have a lot of time to talk about things. He would read me blogs and posts from Mark and others. A lot of what I heard sounded interesting, by as a medic and having been inidated by current American health guidelines, some of these things sounded counter productive to a healthy life style.
    A few weeks go by and I can see my friends 189lbs frame disappear before my eyes. I can see it in his face, and as the fat burns away, his veins are more visible and I drool at the thought of starting IVs on his giant veins. Time goes by and I see him dropping weight without working out, while my vain efforts to workout and eat right bring no results. I decide to take another look at this paleo life style. It brakes my heart to think of eating animals again, but I'm quickly approaching 30, and I have been constantly over weight for most of my adult life. My own health needs to come first, and I have long desired to become a firefighter, and though overweight firefighters are not uncommon, few are hired that way, and even fewer can make it through a fire academy.

So I tried it. My fear of getting sick while eating meat for the first time in close to a decade proved to be unfounded as I felt pretty good after eating se bacon. I ate a small but steady amount through the day and over 3 or so days, reintroduced meat in to my diet. On that next Monday I began my paleo jorney. For the first month I stuck to the rules with out exception. In the recent weeks my will power has began to faulter some. I got a job offer for the fire department and to celebrate I had my favorite food, Outback cheese fries. I have gone out of town to visit family and have had pasta and a few other forbidden items. I haven't gained any weight but I have not lost any in about a week and a half. My hope is to share what I have learned, but more so, I hope to find new sources of strength and inspiration to continue my paleo journey.

Thank you for reading my story, please forgive any spelling or typing errors as I wrote this bouncing down the street in the ambulance with far less sleep than I'd like.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Dan...Going Primal will be one of the most satisfying adventures you embark upon. I admire the fact that you were vegetarian, and came over to the "Dark Side":-) I've been trying to convince my Mom(who is also a vegetarian), but she's a tough nut to crack. You will find loads of support/ideas here, and everyone is very encouraging. Good luck to you, and Grok On!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome Dan. I strongly recommend The Vegetarian Myth by Kierre Keith, a former fanatic vegan. Some info and links in this blog.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.