Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal- just starting out page

FLGurl is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal- just starting out

Shop Now
    I'm going to complete the primal challenge. I know I'm insulin resistant and addicted to carbs. I've always loved pasta and bread, but it really got bad when I had to take high dose steriods- prednisone for pneumonia. This seemed to really push my appetite up a notch and I found myself gaining weight and hungry all the time. I haven't taken these drugs for years but it seems the ill effects on my metabolism have not gone away.
    I'd love any suggestions/help on my journey to break out of this destructive cycle.

For the next 30 days, my tasks are:
    Eliminate grains, bad fats and refined sugar from my diet.
    Eat more fresh veggies and fruit
    Do 3 hours of aerobic fitness classes and 1 hour of strength training each week.
    Get 7-8 hrs of sleep every night.
    Get 15 minutes of sun every day.
    Take my multivitamin everyday and drink at least 4 glasses of water.

My goals at the end of 30 days:
    Lose 15 lbs. (I'd love more, but I think this may be the max realistic goal in only 30 days.)
    See changes in my body-more lean muscle and lose belly fat.
    Lose the carb cravings and have my body learn that it can do without these destructive substances.
    Feel more energetic and alert.

Third day

Still hanging in here on day 3 even though I think I have a bit of low carb flu. I feel a bit shakey and not too energetic. May try to do some light weight training but no other exercise today.
    Breakfast was a piece of bacon, no sugar greek yogurt and coffee. No problems and felt good all the way to lunch. Lunch was a big ass salad with different veggies, grilled chicken breast and apple slices. A little bit of sugar cravings about an hr later, so I think the apple may be too sugary for me to eat at this point.
    No weight lost yet. Any ideas when I should expect to see results on the scale?

You are on the right track, the low carb flu has got to suck!! I have been off and on primal for a while so I can say that I have never experienced LCF, you will start losing weight soon, also, think about the way your clothes fit or even your body composition. I have really had to cut out most fruit for the same reason as you....sugary snack cravings. Keep up with it and you will start to see/feel changes.
    PS. do yourself a favor and dont weigh yourself every day or even every couple of days. You are doing fine, that number on the scale will do nothing more than add stress. Good luck

GrokSaysGo! is offline Junior Member
    Wishing you the best of luck, FLGurl! I experienced low carb flu in the past, too - no energy, tired, foggy thinking, and just generally grumpy, but keep at it!

Each person has to do what's best for them, but from my experience, I found that weight lifting changed my body SO MUCH MORE than any cardio ever did. If I could turn back time, I would replace the years of cardio with pumping iron! Please don't be afraid to lift more often and do less cardio - also, lift as heavy as you can (while still keeping good form). You won't get bulky - you'll get beautiful, rounded-but-lean muscles, and you'll feel strong and fabulous!
    GrokSaysGo!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement Primal Hunter and Groksaysgo. I am new to this so I really appreciate your experience.
    I think I will ignore the scale for a few days so I don't get disappointed if I don't lose right away.
    I will also take your advice Groksaysgo about the weight training. I have never worked with weights more then one day a week, so maybe I need to up it.
    Anyone have ideas on getting rid of this low carb flu feeling? Or do I just need to stick it out until my body kicks into gear?

Cool Yay! Survived the afternoon chocolate and sodas at work.

Hi everyone, Hope your challenge is going well and everyone is looking lean and feeling great!

Day four and I am doing well. A bit of sugar cravings in between meals but I am holding out. Also feeling more energetic but still not completely rid of the low carb flu feeling.

Today I ate a slice of bacon, fresh raspberries and coffee with cream for breakfast. Homemade beef stew and salad for lunch. Was very proud of myself because my co-workers were going out to lunch. I ate my lunch ahead of time and then joined them for a glass of unsweetened iced tea and conversation only. Small victories lead to bigger things right? Though I do have to say the rice and bread looked tempting. I hope I loose these cravings soon! Ate a mozzarella cheese stick as an afternoon snack and ignored the chocolate and sodas everyone else was consuming.

Making a boiled dinner tonight. Sausage, cabbage and carrots boiled in the same pot. Drain and eat with some butter and german mustard as condiments.

Not weighing myself at the suggestion of Primal Hunter. Probably better so I won't be disappointed if I don't lose anything.

Haven't done much in the way of exercise yet, but hopefully tomorrow this sluggish feeling will be gone and I can get back to work. Wish me luck!

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome FLGurl!

More fat for breakfast. One slice of bacon is not nearly enough. It seems like you are still trying to lose weight by holding down how much you eat.

Saturated fat tells your body "Hunting is good. No need to store fat." Fruit tells your body "Winter is coming. Store fat." Eat several strips of bacon or bacon and eggs. Or something. Hopefully your Greek yogurt is whole milk.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Brianna is offline Member
    Hi! Firstly welcome, and I am really impressed of anyone trying to do this 30 day challenge! Good Luck! I am doing the challenge as well and am a newcomer to the forums here. I have to agree with both Groksaysgo and Hedonist. Don't expect to lose weight immediately! I have tried to lose weight many times and although Paleo helped me lose initial weight the fastest of any diet I had tried (paleo is a lot like Primal), there is never a point to riding the scales. It always takes me about 2 weeks of a diet change to lose weight. The best thing about Primal though is you can eat as much as you want and still lose weight ! ahaa weird right? If you stick with it you WILL lose weight so don't worry about what the scales say. I have always found weight lifting, for me, is a much easier and effective way of increasing my fitness. But everyone has their own preference or style that works the best for them.
    Eat more bacon for breakfast- sounds like a plan. If you like bacon definitely eat more than 1 piece!
    It's really helping me to stick with the challenge by coming here and reading journals like yours! I get sugar cravings, too so its nice to know that other people are battling the same demons and winning! I look forward to reading more of your journals!
    Quit being paranoid, Brianna! Everyone is way too wrapped up in their own problems to be hating on you.

Thanks everyone. I appeciate the advice. Was feeling a bit hungry so I ate two more slices of bacon as a nighttime snack. Hopefully my fat content is upped for the day and the fat burning processes are kicking into high gear as we speak. (I can hope...)

Today's Progress

Day 6 and I'm still on the challenge. I haven't weighed myself and don't notice any changes in my body at this point. Is it too soon to expect results?
    Here's what I ate.
    Breakfast: A scrambled egg, two slices of bacon and kale greens and chopped tomato sauteed in bacon grease.
    Lunch: A cup of full fat greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey. A bit glycemic but the yogurt was too sour without something. Maybe next time some berries or sliced fruit would be a better option?
    Dinner: Grass fed beef brisket with onions and creamed spinach.
    Did some work out in the yard/garden today and it was hot! If there is some health benefit to sweating, I got it today. Then I did the grocery shopping, laundry and housecleaning chores. No other exercise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast