Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so if both margarine and butter have no carbs, why is butter better? page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

so if both margarine and butter have no carbs, why is butter better?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have always used margarine. Why is margaine so bad? What butter should I buy? thanks

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Margari e is practically like eating plastic, it's not a real food. Buy organic, pastures butter. Not the spreadable kind, as it contains vegetable-oil to make it soft.

onewomanband is offline Member
    Margarine is made by processing vegetable oils to make them more solid. The processing damages the fat; consuming it can cause inflammation. Butter from pasture-raised cows (some brands: Kerrygold, Organic Valley Pasture Butter) gives you conjugated linoleic acid, Vitamin A, and Vitamin K2. That's why it's better. Hope that helps.

so Ghee is clarified butter, and Mark suggests it. I've heard other people say it isn't good for you though...

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    so Ghee is clarified butter, and Mark suggests it. I've heard other people say it isn't good for you though...
    Why?

It's way more natural than margarine, and ghee is just natural good stuff clarified? Why would that be bad?

ETA: Even though my boyfriend isn't Primal, he hasn't eaten margarine in years. It makes him violently ill.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    Oh jeez. You will hear a lot in forums and elsewhere. Why are they saying that? Are they linking it to a study? Is it a good study? Or is it just a comment on a forum?

I think grass fed butter is fine. I think ghee or clarified butter is great but I limit to high heat situations (non-clarified butter burns at high heat). Leaf lard is great .. but you need to often need to order it so you may not want to start with it but add it in later. Coconut oil is, I think, good for sauteeing. Olive oil is, I think, fine for salads. But my opinion is only worthwhile for me.

You can spend hours on the forum reading peoples ideas and develop a really long list of .... everything .... that you can't eat. It's crazy.

There is a lot of theory out there. Start with Mark's basic recommendations. Eat that for the next 1-3 months. Read. Read opinions, read lots of them. Think about them but don't worry too hard to start. Eat well. Once you are doing this for a while, you can start tweaking. Don't make it too too difficult to start.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    The Primal Blueprint's focus as a diet is not a low-carb one, but one focused on eating foods that we've evolved to function best on and that are highly nutritious and anti-inflammatory. It just happens to be low-carb for most people as a result.

Margarine is about as unnatural and non-anti-inflammatory as you can get. It's not just about the carbs.

Also, butter tastes way better.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spakesneaker View Post
    Also, butter tastes way better.
    Amen.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Margarine is pure trans fat. Pure trans fat. The one fat that everybody from Joe Cheeseburger to Patty Primal knows to be so blatantly toxic we shouldn't even wash our hair with it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

thanks guys. I'm switching to butter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast