Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Timothy's Journal of Primal Peregrination page

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Timothy's Journal of Primal Peregrination

Hello MDA brothers and sisters,

I've been away from these forums for a while, but the arrival of the 2011 Primal Blueprint 30-Day Challenge encouraged me to jump back in.

I clearly remember the day in January 2010 that I stumbled across this web site. Mark's logic totally convinced me, and the success stories, with their jaw-dropping pictures, inspired me to get to work right away. I had a lot of learning to do, and these forums were a crucial part of my education and motivation during that period of transition.

Within a couple of months, I went from near obese to super skinny. Then I began the long project to build strength. You can see the progression in pictures here:

Before and After

My current goals:

1) Help others discover the Primal Blueprint and improve their own compliance. Becoming healthy for the first time inspired me to spread the wealth. I strive to set the best possible example and share my knowledge with others only when they are ready to hear it.

2) Maximize weightlifting strength. My competitive nature and love of quantified results led me to barbell training, and tomorrow begins the 16th week of my improvised powerlifting program. My initial target is to exceed Richard Nikoley's published numbers from November 10, 2010. As we're both ex-fatties of similar build, the proprietor of Free The Animal seemed like a sensible target for comparison.

3) Develop and publish my intermediate sledgehammer course. The beginner one was great fun and pretty much wrote itself, but taking it to the next level is a challenge. I'm hoping that the process of keeping this journal, plus any feedback I might receive, will catalyze the next series of articles.

4) Develop a well-defined six-pack. I consider this the ultimate corporeal vindication of the Primal Blueprint, as it requires great strength, profound leanness, minimal inflammation and robust hormonal health over a long period of time. Logic and reason are useful tools for changing minds and winning converts, but a striated rectus abdominis speaks loudest of all and brooks no refutation.

5) Vindicate my ancestors. I've thought a lot about them since embracing the Primal Blueprint. I am keenly aware that, to paraphrase J. Stanton, we are each dancing on the pinnacle of an immense pyramid of corpses -- all those who lived before us and somehow survived to usher in a new generation. Did those countless millions hunt, gather, and love, only to have their lineage end with an overweight slob having a heart attack face-first in a bag of Chick-Fil-A? No! I am determined to seize the legacy of my ancestors -- our ancestors -- and forge it into something that can survive our bizarre modern times and carry on for countless generations to come. Because that is Why We're Here.

So this is my modest journal of meals, exercise, and random thoughts. Your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

WOD: Monday is my day of rest. I honored it by spending my lunch break sunbathing in the park.

B: Fast
    L: Fast
    D: Beef in tomato sauce with mushrooms and green beans; avocado, tomato, cucumber, mixed greens
    Last edited by Timothy; 09-13-2011 at 03:31 PM.

WOD:

Morning sledgehammer for 15 minutes.

Today's main event was my weekly pulling workout. I was still DOMSy from Saturday when I reached a new squat record and hoped that wouldn't hold me back too much on the deadlifts. On the other hand, I just got back from a week of vacation, which was sure to help my performance a bit.

Pre-workout bodyweight: 174.3
    Deadlift: 130x12, 155x10, 180x8, 275x5 (F6), 245x6
    Chinups: 0x11, 25x2 (F3), 20x2 (F3), 10x3 (F4)
    Bench rows: 50x12, 50x10

I intended 265 as my top set on deadlift, but accidentally stacked an extra 10 pound plate on the right hand side. That's the second time I've made a loading error and inadvertently set a new personal record. I guess I didn't notice because my right side is stronger than my left. I should have realized that the bar felt too evenly balanced! I am happy at the achievement, but concerned at my inability to do math and deadlift at the same time.

11 bodyweight chinups was a new record! Yet my weighted chinups were worse than usual. I chalk it up to the fact that I was pretty thrashed at this point, and that weighted chinups tend to pull me into a dead hang between reps, whereas bodyweight chinups have a slightly reduced ROM, preserving some momentum.

50-pound bench rows was also a new record for me. Barely managed 12 on the first left-hand set so I had to drop to 10 reps for the second. When I can do two sets of twelve on both hands, I'll progress, though I'm not sure how because the dumbbells in my gym only go up to 50...

That's three new personal records in one day, rawr! I matched Nikoley on the weighted chinups long ago, but still have a very difficult 30 pounds to progress before matching his deadlift. Then again, he drops the bar at the end of each rep, while I lower it to the ground, so the comparison is perhaps not exact.

Now comes the long recovery. I must optimize my sleep and nutrition because I have big plans for this week, particularly Thursday's pushing workout.

L: Beef, broccoli, mixed greens, sweet potatoes with cinnamon and honey (my favorite post-workout meal)
    D: Beef bacon burgers, mushrooms, mixed greens, whey, almond milk, mixed berries
    Last edited by Timothy; 09-14-2011 at 10:57 AM.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Timothy, welcome back. I guess it was a little over a year and half ago that i came here, and you were one of the first people i saw make the change I wanted to make. Hell, after reading your stuff i was inspired to go out and get a sledgehammer. Glad to see your back.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Aww, thanks a ton, Skink! I am deeply honored if I was any inspiration to you at all. I intend to stick around for a long time yet. I am really thrilled at how popular this forum has become. Our tribe is growing by leaps and bounds!

Hope you are still enjoying your sledgehammer. It is a perfect primal companion. These days, I find mine especially useful as a traction/recovery exercise.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Hey man, welcome back! I noticed your absence a long time ago and thought maybe you hit yourself in the head with a sledgehammer or something. Glad to see you around again.

Haha, thanks Bane! Incredibly, I still have not injured myself, or my cat, or my car with my sledgehammer. But who knows what the future holds. Sledgehammering is all the more fun for being a little bit dangerous.

Today, I am covered in mild DOMS from neck to knees: that delightful feeling of microtrauma being repaired. I will take it relatively easy today.

WOD: Morning sledgehammer for 10 minutes, sunbathing at lunch
    Pre-sunbathing bodyweight: 174.0

L: Fast
    D: Pork belly, pork sausage, eggs, broccoli, kefir, one tomato slice
    Last edited by Timothy; 09-15-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Hey - welcome back, and dang - nice progress! No point in asking how you have been: You have been well it looks like! Hehe
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

LVFitMama is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the support on my journal. Looks like you have made some great progress. I noticed you do a lot of fasting. Does this effect you at all on workout days?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast