Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Timothy's Journal of Primal Peregrination page 3

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    WOD: Morning sledgehammer for 15 minutes.

Sunbathing at lunch. A bittersweet session, as today is the autumnal equinox, and the sun won't be this high in the sky for another six months.

B: Fast
    L: Fast
    D: Buffalo in tomato sauce, various vegetables
    Last edited by Timothy; 09-26-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Weekend wrap-up:

Saturday

WOD: Early morning toddler walk. Trip to the farmer's market with the toddler. Trip to the toddler gym with the toddler. At this point I was pretty well toddled out, but no way was I going to miss my squat workout today, so I hustled him off to grandma's house and hit the gym.

However, I couldn't go to my usual gym and work out in regal isolation as I had misplaced my access card. So I was obliged to go to Bally's. I was prepared to shell out for a day pass, but the nice lady comped me since it was my first time.

I had never lifted in a place like this before. Meatheads everywhere, some intimidatingly muscular, but nobody lean. Many seemed to be hanging out without touching the weights. The place was eerily silent and kind of creepy. I noticed the sign on the wall with an extensive code of conduct, including "NO LOUD OR STRANGE NOISES." Now tell me, how do you get a proper weight workout without making loud or strange noises? The room felt like a prison library.

Pre-workout bodyweight: 171.0 (estimated based on morning weigh-in; I couldn't find a scale)
    Squat: 105x12, 125x10, 150x8, 210x7, 210x7, 190x8, 190x8, 190x6, 190x8

I didn't want to attempt progression in such a place -- I might make a strange noise! -- so I went for volume, in an old, rusty squat cage. And it worked out pretty well as I hit some new personal records, even though I had to wear vibrams instead of lifting barefoot, which reduced my stability a lot. Then I got the heck out of that place. Bad vibes.

L: Six buffalo patties with lettuce, tomato, pickle, mustard; one baked potato.
    D: Pork belly and pork sausage leftovers, assorted vegetables, whey with kefir, cinnamon, eggs, coconut milk, almond milk

Sunday

WOD: Early morning toddler walk. We passed by one of the runners in the neighborhood who was out walking his dogs -- barefoot! I gave him props. This is a guy who could dust me any time on sprints or endurance, so it was pretty cool to see that he had taken his shoes off. Hopefully I didn't freak him out with my enthusiastic encouragement.

Trip to farmer's market #1 with toddler. Barefoot sprint to farmer's market #2 as toddler waited with his mom in the car. And to my amazement, at this second farmer's market, I actually saw another person barefoot! This is incredible; I never see anyone barefoot or even in vibrams in my neighborhood.

Then the wife and I had a nice quiet lunch at an organic salad place, which only ignited my appetite for meat. So I took advantage of the toddler's well-timed nap to cook up a nice meal.

But then my wife made a loaf of banana bread. The ingredients were decent -- almond flour, butter, eggs, bananas -- but I ended up eating almost the whole thing, and broke my cardinal rule not to combine high-fat and high-carb in the same meal. I predictably fell into a black hole of no energy and barely clung to life until bedtime at 7:00. I am still feeling it the next day. Gaah, such a disciplined week for diet, only to fall apart at the very end.

L: Mixed greens in sherry vinaigrette with sesame oil
    S: Pork belly, pork sausage, eggs, asparagus
    D: Banana bread

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Don't know how I missed this, nice to see you back man, I too thought you caught a hammer to the back of the head...

Man, am I beat today. After seven days of hustling from dawn to dusk like a cracked-out lemur, I am finally feeling a profound urge to rest.

WOD: No morning workout, unless you count stopping the toddler from jamming toilet paper down the shower drain, washing his mom's toiletries in the sink, and strewing the contents of a trash can around the house, which come to think of it was fairly active.

D: Beef bacon burger, pork belly, pork sausage, eggs, broccoli, asparagus
    Last edited by Timothy; 09-27-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Don't know how I missed this, nice to see you back man, I too thought you caught a hammer to the back of the head...
    Hey, thanks a bunch, iniQuity! Glad to see you're still prowling around. I am not yet flexible enough to hit myself in the back of the head, but give me time.

WOD: Morning sledgehammer for 20 minutes. In an extended session like this, I usually add in some continuous motions like Scythe Swings or John Henrys, additional Bullroarers and Grutte Piers, as well as a set of pushups (or Degraded Beasts, in the felicitous phrasing of shovelglove grandmaster Reinhard Engels).

Today was pulling workout, the start of week 18 of my Leangains-inspired routine.

Pre-workout bodyweight: 173.5 (curse you, banana bread!!)
    Deadlift: 135x12, 165x10, 190x8, 275x2 (F1, F2, F3x2), 250x5 (F5)
    Chinups: 0x8, 20x3 (F4), 15x3 (F4), 10x3 (F4)
    Bench rows: 50x12, 50x12

Today's inspiration comes courtesy of MalPaz, who started on these forums around the same time I did, and has achieved leanness beyond my wildest dreams. I blew a fuse looking at her pictures on the "Before and after pics" thread, but rather than refer you there, I suggest you check out her ingeniously named blog post:

Beef Giveaway! Zeroing in on Recovery

When you've picked your jaw up off the floor, we can continue. Don't worry, I can wait.

So today I did not lack for inspiration, but the deadlift warmups felt heavier than usual. I loaded the top set and gave it a tug -- nothing! I double- and triple-checked the weights to be sure I hadn't overloaded. Finally I got the damn bar off the ground, but just couldn't straighten my back. Tried for rep 2 -- nothing! Like it was welded to the floor! Finally got that one off the ground too, but it was ugly. Then I tried twice for rep 3. It just wasn't happening. I nearly passed out from the blood pressure drop when I let go of the bar and stood up.

Very depressing. This is the farthest back I've ever slid on the deadlift. At least I managed the 250 set with decent form, but less reps than last time. On the bright side, my left grip was no longer the weak link; everything was equally weak. And I didn't tweak my lower back this time, at least no more than usual.

Life must go on, so I soldiered over to the chinups. I could only manage eight bodyweight chins! Good grief! I blame the banana bread -- how could I have been so blind! At least I managed to duplicate my usual performance on the weighted chins.

I did not have high hopes for the bench rows after all that. But surprisingly, I managed 12 on both sets, which is a new personal record. Seems my left grip has come along a bit since last week.

All in all, a performance worthy of a sad panda. But every day in the gym cannot be a decisive win. And indeed, anybody can carry on with the momentum of personal records stacked behind them. The real test of character is how we behave when the storm clouds gather overhead. Or so I console myself.

This week, I will not falter from my diet. I will avoid fructose. I will skew to beef over pork to ensure that I reach my protein quota before the fat kills my appetite (after I clear out the fridge). And if banana bread appears, I will smash it with my hammer and throw it out the car window onto the freeway.

I will shake my fist at the heavens and invoke the spirit of my ancestors!

L: Beef, mixed greens, white potatoes, lemon
    D: Beef in tomato sauce with mushrooms and green beans, salsa, veggie juice
    Last edited by Timothy; 09-28-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Time for a random digest of miscellaneous nonsense!

The Ancestor Prayer
    I'm not religious in the traditional sense, but I do nurture a sense of mysticism about my ancestors. All I know about them is that they were crafty survivors, tough as nails, who endured the worst the world could throw at them, and through it all managed to raise a new generation that did it all over again. Indeed, that sentence pretty much encapsulates the entire primal philosophy for me. I strive to honor my anonymous forebears in everything I do. And in the weight room, after I am finished warming up and before I make my maximum effort, I beseech them as follows:

Ancestors, hear my prayer.
    I stand before you as your descendant, in this place, in this time, in this moment.
    I ask that you keep me strong, so that I may keep our lineage strong, now and for countless generations to come.
    Last week, you helped me [do what I did].
    This week, I ask you to help me [do what I am about to attempt].
    I humbly ask your blessing.

And then I get down to business. I don't know if any of them can hear me, but it always makes me feel better to say it.

I Sing the Praises of the Pee-Pee Dance
    I have a desk job. It is not what my body was made for. My body was made for long walks over hot coals, carrying a boar carcass on one shoulder and a hammer on the other. My body was made to climb rocky precipices to steal eagle eggs; to delve fearlessly into twisting caves as animal glyphs dance in the light of my sputtering torch; to make love to a dozen virgins with the gore of the day's battle still clinging to my beard.

Shuffling paper just isn't the same.

I don't have a standing workstation and probably never will. But I have made one signal discovery: the pee-pee dance. I put on some fast music and tap my toes relentlessly; now in time, now syncopated. I run marathons in tiny mincing steps. I sprint and recover without leaving my chair. And when I stand up, the blood rushes like it must have done in ancient times. Be damned, insolent devil phone! I seek the restroom!

Long Fasts: Muscle Poison or Epigenetic Wonder Drug?
    I like my fasts. They come more easily than calorie restriction, and I know that my ancestors took them in stride. But I wonder if I'm not underdoing it. I've gone 48 hours at my longest, but I could have stretched it out further. They say that muscle protein doesn't catabolize much in the first three days, so maybe I should take it to 72 hours at some point. But is it such a big deal to feast on your own lean tissue once in a while? I had virtually no muscle when I first went primal, and I've put on most of my present complement in the last few months. So would it really be so bad to shoot for a week or so? I could always build myself back up again, presumably having taught my genome a lesson in insulin sensitivity it would never forget.

My main reservation is that my energy levels would plummet to the point that I would struggle with my many daily responsibilities. If not for that fear, I would have tried it by now. Perhaps one of these years I'll take a real vacation and push my body in this new direction.

Beloved MDA siblings, does any of this resonate with you? Have you tried praying to your ancestors? Doing the pee-pee dance? Fasting longer than a couple of days?

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Pre-workout bodyweight: 173.5 (curse you, banana bread!!)
    Deadlift: 135x12, 165x10, 190x8, 275x2 (F1, F2, F3x2), 250x5 (F5)
    Chinups: 0x8, 20x3 (F4), 15x3 (F4), 10x3 (F4)
    Bench rows: 50x12, 50x12

Today's inspiration comes courtesy of MalPaz, who started on these forums around the same time I did, and has achieved leanness beyond my wildest dreams. I blew a fuse looking at her pictures on the "Before and after pics" thread, but rather than refer you there, I suggest you check out her ingeniously named blog post:

Beef Giveaway! Zeroing in on Recovery

When you've picked your jaw up off the floor, we can continue. Don't worry, I can wait.

So today I did not lack for inspiration, but the deadlift warmups felt heavier than usual. I loaded the top set and gave it a tug -- nothing! I double- and triple-checked the weights to be sure I hadn't overloaded. Finally I got the damn bar off the ground, but just couldn't straighten my back. Tried for rep 2 -- nothing! Like it was welded to the floor! Finally got that one off the ground too, but it was ugly. Then I tried twice for rep 3. It just wasn't happening. I nearly passed out from the blood pressure drop when I let go of the bar and stood up.

Very depressing. This is the farthest back I've ever slid on the deadlift. At least I managed the 250 set with decent form, but less reps than last time. On the bright side, my left grip was no longer the weak link; everything was equally weak. And I didn't tweak my lower back this time, at least no more than usual.

Life must go on, so I soldiered over to the chinups. I could only manage eight bodyweight chins! Good grief! I blame the banana bread -- how could I have been so blind! At least I managed to duplicate my usual performance on the weighted chins.

I did not have high hopes for the bench rows after all that. But surprisingly, I managed 12 on both sets, which is a new personal record. Seems my left grip has come along a bit since last week.

All in all, a performance worthy of a sad panda. But every day in the gym cannot be a decisive win. And indeed, anybody can carry on with the momentum of personal records stacked behind them. The real test of character is how we behave when the storm clouds gather overhead. Or so I console myself.

This week, I will not falter from my diet. I will avoid fructose. I will skew to beef over pork to ensure that I reach my protein quota before the fat kills my appetite (after I clear out the fridge). And if banana bread appears, I will smash it with my hammer and throw it out the window onto the freeway.

I will shake my fist at the heavens and invoke the spirit of my ancestors!

L: Beef, mixed greens, white potatoes, lemon
    haha, i <3 you for the shout out, that wasd awesome....and FWIW, i deadlifted 215 3x5 saturday....Get On My Level

MalPaz, you are the greatest! Adjusting for bodyweight, you've got me beat on deadlifts, and probably the other stuff too. But I'm doing everything in my power to get stronger, and your inspiration really helped me today!

Hurrah! PrimalCon 2012 registration is now open!

PrimalCon 2012 Registration Now Open! | Mark's Daily Apple

PrimalCon is the most fun you will ever have with your clothes on. Just imagine hanging out with a hundred people of your very own tribe, rediscovering the lost secrets of your ancestors and learning all sorts of skills that will dramatically improve your life.

This year, the line-up of presenters is better than ever before -- and I am honored to join them! I will be but a mouse among giants, but as we all know, mice can have big hearts. Especially if they spend a lot of time on the exercise wheel.

I can't wait to present my sledgehammer workshop. Whether you're an expert, a beginner, or have no idea what I'm talking about, I guarantee you will love it. Register now, for heaven's sake! There are only 125 spots available at the conference and they are going to sell out faster than ever.

WOD: Morning: 40 minute toddler odyssey, 5 minute sledgehammer frenzy
    Noontime: UV and air quality readings were both awful, so I stayed inside today and practiced for my upcoming martial arts test, trying my best to keep a low heart rate, as I am always tempted to overdo it on my recovery days.

D: Beef bacon burgers, pork sausage, sardines, canned tuna, eggs, mixed greens, tomato
    Last edited by Timothy; 09-29-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast