Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Timothy's Journal of Primal Peregrination page 15

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    How is your quest for increased T going?
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreebie View Post
    How is your quest for increased T going?
    Good question! It's hard to know, really. My strategy since November 10 has been to cycle Eurycoma Longifolia and Tribulus Terrestris, 10 days on and 5 days off.

Without getting a lot of bloodwork done, I only have a couple of ways to measure progress since I started taking the herbs about six weeks ago: 1) libido and 2) lifting strength, particularly in the chest and shoulders where the androgen receptors are most dense.

As for libido, it definitely increases when I'm on the herbs. So that's a sign that something's happening. But is it improving my overall T output or just spiking it here and there? I don't think spikes would do too much for body recomposition.

As for my strength, it was really messed up from being sick for a few weeks, when I lost a bunch of weight (the bad way) and couldn't train. I'm still a few reps behind where I started the herbs. I have high hopes for today, though. Really blasted the chest last week and am praying to see some improvement in today's pressing workout. If I were to achieve 165x6 on the bench, that would break a five-month plateau and I would be extremely happy.

In short, I don't think I have enough data yet. I need about six more weeks of not being sick to see where my lifts go. If I can't make significant progress in that time frame, I'm going to drop the herbs and return to au naturale.

Thursday

Yay, I had the energy to get up this morning to take the toddler for a walk. But the toddler himself was not game! We had only gone about a half mile, and then, "Want to go home. Want inside." So we turned around. Understandably. It was 50 degrees this morning and wet enough that my feet went numb.

But the real attraction was today's pressing workout. Inspiration comes from Arnold Schwarzenegger today: "Ask yourself, is it really true that you cannot do one more rep?"

Pre-workout bodyweight: 165.8 (under control, I've hit the sweet spot on calories the last couple of days)
    Bench press: 85x5, 100x5, 115x5, 165x4, 165x3, 150x5, 150x4
    Dip: 80x2, 50x5, 30x8, 30x5
    Flyes: 10x24, 15x24, 20x9, 20x10
    Overhead Press: 100x4, 95x4, 85x6
    Bench press encore: 135x2, 85x13
    Post-workout bodyweight: 168.5 (a record pump! I'm going to be feeling this for days.)

Disappointed that I could not improve my max bench. Performance was identical to last week. I guess that's a glass-half-full situation, so I'll take it.

Getting increasingly desperate to break the pressing plateau, I decided to pack in a boatload of volume by shortening my rest periods. I suppose that is reflected in lower reps per set, but my output measured in BTUs and fiber recruitment was surely at a record today.

Dips were sad. Sure I cut down my rest periods, but I really need more than 80x2 or I'll have to capitulate and go back to 75. Ego says nooooo!

Flyes were all new, I've never attempted them before. 10x24 was a walk in the park. 15x24 was a struggle. The last two sets had me crying tears of blood. Good, very good!

Record new weight on the overhead press, although I really didn't have the steam for reps at that point. Pushing my body beyond what it is used to.

Just for fun, I went for extra bench sets at the end. Both were to failure, and let me tell you, it is humbling to be pinned underneath 85. Felt like I should carry on until I was trapped under the empty bar and in need of LifeAlert. "I've benched... and I can't get up!" But Father Time is a stingy bastard.

Really pushed it hard today. Time for an epic lunch, and coincidentally, cycling back on to the testosterone herbs. If this doesn't yield strength dividends next week, I don't know what will!

B: Fast
    L: Beef, lamb, bacon-wrapped chicken (I know, I know), broccoli, mixed greens, sweet potatoes, lemon
    D: Beef, spinach, yam, possibly some fruit
    Last edited by Timothy; 12-22-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Measured in BTUs? Really, T? Get with the SI units!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

I couldn't decide between Joules or Watts, so I defaulted to BTUs. But in the future I think I will use equivalent mass of TNT.

Holidays survived!

In the event, I overtrained a bit. Minding the toddler all day long in addition to my regular workouts turned out to be a bit much. And so my appetite went through the roof and my energy through the floor. After eating all my "real food" I went hog wild on 91% chocolate and nuts. To the tune of thousands of calories a day. Had to sleep with the covers off from all the thermogenesis. I was sufficiently mortified to start doing cardio and sprints as a form of penance. Which, of course, only increased my appetite yet further. And I gained five pounds and a small head cold.

But today, all that was totally vindicated when I blew up the weight room. 270x8, 245x10 on the deadlift, smashing my bests and busting a plateau! Mamma mia! New PRs on the Pendlay Rows and Chinups as well. Sweet, sweet progress, pitch your tent and stay!

(Even better, I had two new trainees in the weight room today! Two coworkers who were all fired up with their resolutions to get stronger. Even better, they are women in their 40s who could not wait to attack strength training! I showed them the ways of the deadlift, lat pull, and dumbbell row. They had a lot of fun, but I had even more! Can't wait to shred these two to Jeannie Bassi proportions!)

So it seems there is some virtue to "junk loading" once in a while. But not too often! I have begged my wife to hide the chocolate and nuts. She will have to do a better job as I already sniffed out one location. If only there were some way to wire my jaw shut each time the sun goes down. That would help me avoid other problems, too. My wife is 37 weeks pregnant as of today and I have to choose my words very carefully.

As for the full details of my workouts, I will be maintaining those on Fitocracy, because updating my master spreadsheet, Fitocracy, and this thread with every workout was getting rather onerous. If any of you would like to join Fitocracy, please let me know as I still have a few invites to dispense. It's very fun!

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Hi Timothy,

Congratulations on your progress and best wishes for the new little one on the way!

I love the Jeannie Bassi video.

What's fitocracy, if you don't mind me asking?

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    what is the significance of the weight change post-workout?

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPickles View Post
    What's fitocracy, if you don't mind me asking?
    Here you go.

(I'm not really a jerk, I've just been meaning to use that)

firemedicgrok is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Timothy,

If your wife is 37 weeks pregnant..............by all means choose your words carefully...........very very carefully. I like to advise friends in that situation to avoid making eye contact, not to make sudden moves, and by no means, do not taunt.

In all seriousness............ good luck. I hope your wife and new baby stay safe and healthy. Let me extend an early congrats to your family.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast