Thread: Primal Journal (LoriKay) page

LoriKay is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (LoriKay)

Primal Fuel
    I first discovered Mark's Daily Apple about a year and a half ago, and have been incorporating Primal changes ever since. I was not quite ready for the Primal Challenge last year, but I'm excited about it this year and ready to really commit to it for the next thirty days and beyond.

A little background: I became really ill about six years ago. I had a collection of severe symptoms, including anxiety and insomnia, depression, fatigue, eczema covering my hands, debilitating menstrual cycles and lower back pain that was sometimes severe enough to immobilize me, and I weighed over 300 pounds. I saw several doctors, but was unable to get a diagnosis, let alone any real help. Eventually, I found an Ayurvedic practitioner who coached me on diet, reducing stress, and addressing the many emotional and mental issues that were making me unhealthy. The things I learned from her helped me begin to take ownership of my health. I have done a lot of research about nutrition and self-care, which led me to Mark's Daily Apple, among other modalities. Over the last few years, my health has improved slowly as I have introduced positive changes and learned to take better care of myself. Many of my symptoms are gone or greatly reduced, but I still have a long way to go.

At the peak of my illness, I weighed about 310 pounds and was a size 26/28. I never measured myself then, but that would put my measurements (in inches) around:
    Chest 50
    Waist 48
    Hips 56

Currently, I weigh 226 pounds, and my measurements are:
    Chest 44
    Waist 41
    Hips 49

EDIT: I thought I would add that I am 5'6' and 33 years old, for reference.

I have learned the hard way that results-oriented goals ("I want to lose xx pounds by xx date") lead to frustration and setbacks. I can only control my actions, not the number on the scale. Because of this, I am not going to weigh or measure myself until the end of the 30 days. In the meantime, I will measure my success by how well I adhere to the Primal Blueprint guidelines, and make my goals about staying on track.

Speaking of goals, for the next 30 days they are:
    1. Maintain a positive attitude, no whining or complaining.
    2. Turn off all electronics by 9:30 PM and head to bed early.
    3. Walk daily.
    4. Follow the Primal Blueprint eating guidelines.
    5. Check in with this journal and Mark's Daily Apple every day.
    Last edited by LoriKay; 09-12-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to add pertinent info

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome LoriKay. Great progress! I hope to see you in one of Mark's success stories.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

LexxyV86 is offline Senior Member
    I like your mindset and goals! Props to you for posting your weight publicly; I think it takes guts. I also liked that you gave background on your health issues, it gives me inspiration to keep going even though I feel crappy half the time ( have similar issues like anxiety, depression, horrid menstrual cycles, and back pain) Good luck to you

Thanks for your kind words, Lexxy! I checked out your journal and we definitely share similar struggles. It is hard to make the right decisions when feeling crappy, maybe we can help keep each other motivated

LexxyV86 is offline Senior Member
    That would be awesome

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Day 2
    Yesterday went very well. My husband and I walked for an hour before dinner, and everything I ate yesterday was Primal. I even succeeded in turning off the computer before 9:30. I still didn't sleep very well, but I'm in good spirits today despite being sleepy.

I have another walk lined up for today, a trip to the store for some more vegetables and eggs, and I am going to heroically resist stepping on the scale. I loathe the tedium of logging my food, so I've decided that I only need to note when I have consumed something non-Primal (which I don't intend to do!).

The momentum of my successful Day 1 has me feeling pretty excited to stay on track today. I'm going to check in this evening for a recap and maybe try to get a decent picture for my profile.

Day 3

Yesterday was great, I was able to stay Primal even though I had lunch out with a friend (omelet with vegetables-probably cooked in vegetable oil but I'm ok with incidentals like that for now). We walked all over Fremont and along the canal, at least 45 minutes of walking and another hour or so of lounging by the canal. I'm getting better at finding things to do that are more active. I realized several months ago that I am kind of over partying. I don't like sloppy drunks, staying up late, people shouting at me over way-too-loud music. Parties have always been overwhelming and not much fun to me, but I've always gone because that's how everyone I know gets together. Recently I've been making more of an effort to plan my own activities and invite my friends that I would like to know better. I find it much more rewarding to get together with one or two friends in a way that actually allows for real conversation. I feel like I actually have friends, not just long-term acquaintances. I"m not sure if this is actually related to my Primal changes or if it's coincidental.

I did have a headache for a couple of hours last night and felt like I might be coming down with something. I may have been dehydrated though, I drank lots of tea last night before bed and slept really well and woke up today feeling pretty good.

Last night was the first night in a while that I have slept well, and I'm trying to figure out what I did so I can do it again! I didn't have coffee yesterday, and I really don't want to believe that that is the key. I usually only have one or two cups early in the day, can it really be the culprit? It must be because there really isn't anything I did differently. I did have Tension Tamer and Sleepytime teas before bed, but that's not unusual and is not generally enough to give me a good night's sleep.

One of the first things my Ayurvedic practitioner told me back in the day was to stop drinking coffee. She said that my liver was under-performing and that the caffeine was staying in my system too long, making my insomnia and anxiety worse. I went one month without any coffee at all, and did see a definite improvement in both. Since that time, I have not had coffee regularly, indulging every once in a while on days when I'm really dragging or need to focus, or if I feel down and want a warm, delicious, comforting cup of coffee love. It has crept back into more regular usage though, and I think I had one cup almost every day last week. It seems to be time to take another break from coffee. This is actually the one consumable that I truly miss when I can't have it. BUT since my number one goal is "no whining," I'm just going to not have it and not dwell on it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Doh! My headache came back, and it occurred to me that it might be caused by caffeine withdrawals. That is very annoying. So, I am definitely putting coffee on the "no" list. Oh, coffee. Why must you be so cruel?