Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (robotunicr0n) page

Primal Journal (robotunicr0n)

Primal Blueprint 30-day Challenge

GOALS:
    1. Lose weight and KICK ASS!
    2. Cut out grain 100%, cut out sugar 100%, cut out dairy 100%(have to finish a jug of milk first, but after that)
    3. Absolutely NO CHEAT MEALS during these 30 days. I'm low on money right now but I'm going to throw out the pizza I have in my fridge anyway.
    4. Commit to swimming OR walking around the neighborhood for 60 minutes OR running on the treadmill for the C25k program.
    5. Ice lower back/psoas 4 times a day to numbness, perform physical therapy for over-extension and get back in to functioning shape.
    6. Improve sleep habits and duration.
    7. Clean the apartment and KEEP it clean.
    8. Start from the beginning of mobilitywod.com and follow each video each day for better mobility, flexibility and overall health.
    9. Finish all the tea in my house (I have tons and tons of loose leaf, it's ridiculous. I have to finish it all before buying anything new, so I will drink it like crazy here instead of beer!)

Primal Cheats (cheats that are primal but are "use sparingly")
    1. Occasional high quality beer, 1 at a time, 1 per day max
    2. Red wine at most once every two days

Tools:
    Primal Blueprint Book
    PB Cookbook
    Primal Fuel
    Resistance Bands and Lacrosse balls (mobility WOD requirements)
    marksdailyapple.com
    The Paleo Solution book
    EGGS
    BACON

I will be posting daily, right before bed with a report on ALL the food I consumed, all the activity I did and any physical therapy updates.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Kick ass dude!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Day 1

Not a primal day sadly, mostly because I only jumped in midday. This was a day full of failures, and I will list them as a record, despite the pain. I had to skip breakfast due to some water in the bathroom from a stray toilet. I treated this like if Grok had to deal with a family emergency that took him away form the hunt and deprived him of breakfast. This was really the only grok-positive thing in my day. At work we were given free doughnuts at our desks which made it hard to pass up, especially with having skipped breakfast. I ate two (they were Dunkin Doughnuts) and then when my way. Lunch was a cheat meal that I get every Monday, which kind of added to the terribleness. It was a burger with organic local meat, bacon, american cheese, fixins, mustard and fries with ketchup. I had 1 cup of sugary Dr. Pepper (bad me) and one of diet (bad but better). Next Monday I will still have this meal but I'll cut the fries out and discard the bun. If I get soda (which I probably won't) I'll get diet. I may opt for water instead. I resisted the free snacks and actually had no soda aside from at lunch. Usually I have 2-3 diet sodas a day because they are provided free by our company. When I got home I had 1 snakebite which is hard cider and beer half and half. That was my one beer a day limit. I intend to cut back to maybe one every two days, but it's a problem right now so I'm slowly working away from it. I also had a Dark n Stormy cocktail which is black rum (yum!) and ginger ale (yum but sugar). The ginger ale was australian national ginger ale and so significantly less in sugar than Verners or some such. For dinner I had a fillet of fish with some green seasoning. Very good!! As an evening snack I worked on finishing off the cheetos (should have just thrown them out but it's hard to throw away something you've put money in to when you're living paycheck to paycheck like I am). I'm still going to toss the pizza but I may scavenge the cheese and toppings as a meal tomorrow. There's pepperoni and anchovies on there, and the cheese is good. Will dump the bread happily.

For better horizons tomorrow in the food department! Today I also purchased a bed finally. It's all set up and just beckoning to me (can't wait to try it out!!) My work out today was the moving of all the bed stuff. There was a heavy railroad tie bed frame to carry up which I ended up doing with one hand, balancing on my shoulder. This was a good work out up the stairs. Then with the help of my neighbor we brought the box spring up and then the mattress. Both were quite heavy. I assembled the frame and unbagged the mattresses, placing them with great effort on to the frame. I also had to do some cleaning in my bedroom for it to fit.

On the schedule for tomorrow: beef sausage for breakfast! Shopping for eggs to make into hard boiled eggs for quick breakfasts (which I NEED to stay primal for breakfast. Otherwise it's Mcdonalds :x). Will also need to get bacon which is wonderfully cheap at about $3 a bag. I can get about 4 servings out of the bag, and that's while eating 4 pieces a morning!

I'm going to see how long I can go with no sugar at all but I think it might be difficult to avoid natural sugars in veggies and fruit. I won't beat myself up over those sorts of sugars if I get them. That being said I'm not buying fruit this month.

Workout tomorrow will be either a swim to cool off after work or a long walk around my neighborhood, which I have yet to explore since moving here.

Grok on!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Don't call the whole day a fail. You made some progress at cutting back. Just keep working it.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks for the support Hedonist! I guess you're right!

Day 2
    Today I had cheetos. On the brightside, aside from 1 beer, that was the only carbs I've had. I'm making chicken for dinner and then heading to bed. In all I've probably had a total of 50g carbs. Bad choice, but not the end of the world. Tomorrow I'll be hard-boiling a good number of my eggs. I found a great deal on maple bacon (no carbs, surprisingly, perhaps because it's cured) so I'm stocked up for 2 weeks on that alone (a $12 or so purchase.. Breakfast for two weeks. WOW!) I also didn't have time to do my walk today due to some absolutely required shopping. Everything is set now, so I will be on board with the walking/swimming tomorrow!

For breakfast I had a sausage, for lunch we went to Rudy's BBQ where I had 1/2 pound of extra moist brisket, 1/4 pound of the most amazing pork loin I've ever had, and a full on sausage with delicious crispy skin. It reminded me of the Czech street food. Cheetos and milk as a snack (forgot, the milk was a carb too). Will be making some chicken here in a few minutes unless I crash (which is possible, I'm tired!).

All in all, not a terrible day, but definitely room for improvement.

nowakow2 is offline Junior Member
    Take baby steps, don't rush into it! I've been trying to motivate to go Primal for awhile now and only after I made slow cut backs (no pizza, bread, buns, cereal, sweets) am I actually sticking with it now! Don't push yourself too hard when you've got a full plate (haha pun-y). Good luck on the rest of your journey!

Day 3

Well I my carb intake got out of control today, but it's my own fault for putting the high carb things in my fridge. None of it was gluten, at least not from wheat, but I still ranged somewhere between 100-200 carbs which is not what I need.

Breakfast was innocent -> a sausage
    I brought lunch as a chicken breast from dinner the night before but for some reason I went with friends to a burger joint where I had 80 carbs in bread. This was still salvagable though. Sure the sugar level in my blood rose but I still was in the "safe" zone for weight loss. That failed when I got home and ate cheetos and drank milk instead of making chicken or eating what I brought for lunch (forgot to bring it home though :/). I also had an extra beer past what I was intending since my neighbor/coworker needed some emotional support since he was working on a problem for work after hours. He came over and asked for a cold beer which I happily obliged. It was a snakebite he wanted so it required half of 2 bottles. I wasn't going to let them sit open in the fridge so I made myself one too. This was one and would have been okay, but I had another when I went over later to play games with him. Once I got back (20 mintues ago) I ate more cheetos and drank more milk.

My main problem is these damn cheetos. Thankfully they're almost gone, but it's tough. I can't throw them out without feeling guilty about money. I know it's not healthy and that I'll save money in the long run if I do get rid of them, but with my finances as they are currently it's too nerve-wracking to throw anything of value out.

On the success side, two things. First I shared a success story with Mark in the hopes of winning some Vibrams Five Fingers. This included a small but significant success of 20 pounds lost. The other victory was that I went for a good long walk, maybe 40 minutes of walking around the neighborhood and getting lost. Soaked up the sun for a bit and enjoyed seeing parts of the new city I'm in that I hadn't seen before. Felt good and found salt from the sweat on my forehead, 3 hours later, so I know it was a good workout.

All in all a pretty bad day, but bad days exist as markers for good days. Now that my bad food stock is lower, I should come out ahead for the rest of the 30 days. It's also an accomplishment that I've posted every day so far. I intend to stick with that, even if it's my only victory.

Day 4

This is late but I got tied up helping to move my friend into my apartment yesterday. I'll refer to it as "today" for ease of understanding.

Today was another meh day but a little better than Day 3. Breakfast was a hard boiled egg and a sausage. Very primal and pretty tasty! At work I stayed away from the snacks but it was cookie thursday and before I knew it I had had 3 cookies. Going to work on cutting down/out this snack time. Lunch I resisted going out and came home to eat some leftover chicken. I ended up eating some mochi ice cream which was bad, but I ate fewer than I had other days and so still count that as a success. We had our company beer bash where I restricted myself to 1 beer but had to finish the one at home that my friend didn't want. (Before y'all say it was an act of weakness or a lame excuse... it was Guinness Extra Stout. I mean.. come one. One, it's my favorite beer ever, and two he was just going to let it sit out and three it's rather expensive :/) Not to say that I was right in drinking in but I like to protect my purchases, whenever possible! I pretty much threw out the Cheetos.. my roommate said he might eat them so I left them for him but I likely won't eat any more of them. We ended up going out for dinner which I would have preferred not to do but we did anyway. I had a Mojito so that upped my sugar/carb count a bit and nachos with corn tortilla chips. Corn is not primal, I know, but at the very least they are gluten free (I think...? :/) The legumes were also non-primal things but getting those beat either spending more money then I could afford on a steak or something with lots of wheat like pizza or a burger or something. It's a small success, and a small failure. We had more mochi before bed but I think I'm going to give the rest to my roommate. I can't believe they dust them in flour.. that's aggravating.

For workout I ended up helping move my friends stuff from the car into the apartment which included a couple really heavy things and a lot of up and down the stairs. We also picked up a futon from downtown and brought it back north, carrying it up the stairs when we got back to the apartment. Good workout.

All in all a good day, but not a great day. Today I'm aiming for a great day!

It seems that my previously employed method of journaling wasn't effective for my needs at this time. There are many things that have gone wrong since starting the 30 day Primal challenge, some which were out of my control. I'll take full responsibility for all the non-Primal eating I've done. There is no excuse for it. I did it and now I'm seeing the consequences in my waist. My work slacks no longer need a belt to hold them up. The scale shows that I'm almost up to 290 again. It's hard in a world of work and a disorganized home to keep everything in line.

A friend of mine just moved in with me from out of state. He disrupts my energy in a sometimes aggressive way and is mean when he wants his way, which is usually always. I've roomed with him 3 times before while we were in college and I consider him at least an okay friend, so I accepted him into my home since he'll be able to help pay the rent. For now, we're stuck in my 1 bedroom apartment which is very close quarters. He's sleeping on my futon in my living room, so I can understand how he must feel, not really having a private space of his own. I've experienced that myself and because I'm a person who needs a lot of personal time to sort things out, it's really tough for me to deal with. I think he's different in that respect but it still must bother him.

Adding to this is the fact that my apartment is not tidy. It is in such a mess because I looked desperately for a device that I had lost and tore into all of my storage bins looking for it. I didn't have the time to clean it up and now, everything is messy. He yells at me sometimes because of the mess, or harasses me when I try to give him advice on things, citing such hurtful, unnecessary, and contextually irrelevant things as my supposed inability to court the opposite sex, or the fact that I can't shed the pounds that have weighed my frame down since middle school, or the fact that I can't even keep my own apartment clean. I don't want to give in to his attacks, but I'm not very good at being aggressive back. I usually just end up hurt. Surprisingly, this doesn't lead to emotional eating or anything like that. I wish that was my problem as I think I'd be better equipped to deal with it, since I've conquered depression on my own in the past. The bite with which he speaks to me splits the very core of my heart into a pile of shattered ruby gems. And then sometimes he's nice. He offers to help in some way, suggests that he might buy all the groceries next time, or something like that. It's as if he tends the tenuous connection between us, ever so carefully thwapping the corroding string with razor blades and then reinforcing the weak spots. What have I got myself into?

Among these other problems, my lower back overextension has just intensified from helping my roommate move in and doing some cleaning that required squatting for awhile and leaning over a lot. I now ice whenever I get the chance but the pain has moved from just my lower back to my low middle back and my glutes are once more in a state of fritz where they hurt but only in a way that indicates something is wrong with my lower back. I hate this so much. It debilitates me to the point where it is difficult to put on my underwear. In fact, just a few weeks ago I pulled a muscle in my mid/upper back because I spent too much time bent over trying to pick my leg far enough up to slip it through the hole in my skivvies. I'm too afraid to stretch it and icing only goes so far. Too bad I can't afford physical therapy. I've searched mobilitywod and emailed Kelly. He actually responded. His response was that I should ice it 4 times a day, which is difficult with my work schedule. I'll keep doing it when I can but I'm not convinced it will be enough. My bed is also new which means it's very firm. This isn't really helping my problem.

For today though, I've had a primal breakfast and an "okay" primal lunch. It had rice in it (sushi) but I didn't cheat. Dinner should be fish or chicken. I'm helplessly lost with an unsupportive roommate who always wants to be with me but also always displays aggression toward me. He's already signed my lease as a cosigner, so there is nothing I can do about that.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well my last few days have been less than optimal but in the long run of my "Primal" life it is these formative weeks that, while they won't achieve me victory in this contest, or any other weight loss contest I may be adhering to, will undoubtedly pave the pale red carpet to my success.

Here, a list of my current vices:
    dark chocolate covered ginger (I eat too many of them at once)
    taco bell in any form (and always a sugar loaded baja blast mountain dew.. just have to have that baja blast if I have taco bell...)
    Mighty Fine Burgers and Fries. These will be the death of me, or at the very least my diet.
    Tortilla chips for the homemade salsa that i try and make sometimes. Thus far a failure at that.
    Beer.

I'm eliminating these as best as I can. I used to drink soda a lot but I gave that up a long time ago and have never been happier. I drink diets frequently as a substitute for easy caffeine when I have no tea on hand, but other than that I'm avoiding them. Yay for way less sugar than most people!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast