Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Fatigue page 2

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Oh, definitely make sure you are supplementing D if you're not getting a lot of sun. Luckily it's really cheap even for good-quality D. I would recommend the Carlson's brand liquid drops, especially since they're actually dissolved in coconut oil, which is a total Primal bonus. Mark's vitamin D pills are good too but they are a little more expensive on a per-IU basis.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the salt and iron, magnesium might also help you.

Kazrau is offline Junior Member
    I supplement with iron and salt pills as removing all the processed food from my diet meant that I don't get anywhere near what I need and I was suffering both cramps and lethargy

Hope you're feeling better soon.

. : o d i e : . is offline Junior Member
    I had exactly the same issue. It plagued me for AGES...
    I somehow stumbled across liver powder (I'd prefer to go for whole liver, but trying to find liver from ANY animal that hasn't been pumped full of chemicals around here is pretty tricky) and even though it is the foulest thing i've ever tasted, my fatigue is disappearing.
    For the first time in at least 2 years I can be tired without feeling like I've just gone 10 rounds with Danny Green.
    Obviously I was deficient in some vitamin/mineral that liver has to offer. Just a thought....

Grizz is offline Banned
    You need 10,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3:
    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world

See Vitamin D3 Below:
    Grizz

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. What a great community we have here.

I'm going in to the doctor today (I know, I know) to get some labs done, and hopefully get a definitive answer. I'm feeling a lot better this morning, so presumably something worked - multivitamin, fish oil, sun, or iron (I got quite a bit of each yesterday and the day before) - but I'd like a more definitive answer. It's so hard to tease out causality and such in real life, without the benefit of a controlled experiment. All that said, I just hope there's still enough of an issue to show up in the labs, or it'll be for naught.

Also, I know it doesn't get as much press around here, but my mom made a good point that psychological issues often present with inexplicable fatigue. And literally all my friends graduated and moved out of town at the beginning of this summer. So...you know. It might be that.

Anyway, thanks for all the great suggestions, as well as the sense of community, which I can certainly use, particularly right now!

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    If your fatigue persists, please consider getting yourself evaluated for Lyme disease. Four years ago I was an uber-fit, Crossfitting 52-year-old woman, and then I started having some issues. Fatigue. Pain in my elbows that I thought was from too many pushups/pullups. Pushing harder in the gym to get the buzz, but still feeling lousy. Then, BAM! Spinal arthritis that compressed my spinal cord, necessitating two spine operations. Here's the kicker--I didn't get diagnosed until a couple of weeks ago because I never had a rash and didn't remember any ticks.

So please.....if your fatigue persists, or you get joint pains or other symptoms of Lyme, ask for a Lyme Western Blot (not the screening ELISA test).

Good luck,
    Pea

Again, thanks to everyone for all the support and advice. I went in yesterday and got a whole bunch of labs done, so I'll be getting a lot of conclusive data soon. I was happy to find that my doctor is pretty hip, and didn't give me any of the usual CW crap when asking questions about my diet. She had an interesting take on the fatigue, too, and one that doesn't often get as much attention in the Primal community.

The doctor said that fatigue presenting without other symptoms is almost always psychologically (stress, depression, anxiety, etc.) based rather than physiologically based. At the end of spring/beginning of summer, as a senior in college, all of my close friends graduated and moved out of town. About the same time, I was on the receiving end of a totally unexpected breakup with a girl I'd been dating for almost a year and a half. So she thinks the fatigue is rooted in that emotional duress, and frankly, she's probably right.

She said one thing in particular that really stuck with me, and I'd like to open it to discussion to get the Primal community take on it, as it is a very primal notion. She said that a breakup with a long-term partner, particularly an unexpected breakup, is psychologically analogous to having a loved one die. One day, they're a huge part of your life, the next, they're not in your life anymore.

Anyway, I'd never heard it described that way, but it makes a lot of sense. It makes gut sense to me in the way that the eating primally did when I first heard of it. And it makes sense that, as inherently tribal animals, humans could have such a strong response to loss. Our culture so values "moving forward," "getting over things," etc. We admire the stoicism of someone who endures loss calmly - we see that as strength. I know that's how it went for me. I made a real effort to be positive, not to be upset about it, to move forward, and all that jazz. Many traditional cultures, on the other hand, have prominent, and very public, ways of showing grief. In those societies, it's expected that your grief will be loud and cathartic, not private and controlled. So my question to you all is this: are we doing ourselves a disservice by minimizing the outer processes of grieving? Does it reflect mental strength or cultural stifling not to grieve openly? What is the Primal community's take on the grieving process?

tplank is offline Senior Member

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I didn't even think of the psychological angle, but it's totally possible. My fiancee definitely gets a lot of weird symptoms, including fatigue but also a bunch of other stuff like random, wandering numbness over her body and digestive problems, from psychological stress and lack of social interaction.

Of course, nutritional deficiencies also make you more susceptible to that kind of stuff. It all works together! Sounds like your doctor is pretty progressive, which is great too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast