Thread: K's primal journey page

kcjohn is offline Junior Member

K's primal journey

Primal Fuel
    I've basically been loosely following primal eating the past few months and about 9 months of ideal protein diet and vlc eating. Finding primal has been great as I feel it's something I can actually live with. After fighting losing weight diet after diet I've found being primal at least 80percent of the time has at least maintained my weight. Im a 5'6 F at 176lbs. Hoping to lose more weight and Stay healthy. Eating primal has helped my asthma and even though I haven't been losing weight because I've just been trying to get into a consistent maintenance plan, my body feels as if I've lost weigh. I just don't feel as heavy and my stomach doesn't feel as bloated. I've also tried to slowly incorporate more of a gluten free diet for my son. It hasn't totally changed for my 4 yr old but boiling eggs, cooking sausages, and gluten free waffles have helped with our mornings before he goes to school. He's always eaten lots of vegetables and fruit but sandwiches and crackers or some of his favorites. He doesn't enjoy sprouted bread so I've kept his lunches to be wheat but only make a half sandwich for him with lots of protein and some cheese. Eventually I'll make a better change for him but overall it's been great.

I'm starting my 30 day challenge today so hopefully I can begin to lose weight again and become more primal in my son and families food

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Eating primal has helped my asthma and even though I haven't been losing weight because I've just been trying to get into a consistent maintenance plan, my body feels as if I've lost weigh. I just don't feel as heavy and my stomach doesn't feel as bloated.
    Yes, go by how you feel and how your clothes fit, not by the scales.

Grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks hedonist. It's so hard not to be a slave to the scale so focusing on other things that can also measure is helpful.

It was hard to find my journal with so many new entries for the 30 day challenge. Sorry to all the veterans who are trying to get on board but I'm sure exciting to see so many people who try to follow a primal life!

I'm going to try to be consistent in my journal and writing what I ate and any new revelations.

Breakfast- niman ranch apple Gouda sausage cooked in cocount oil and one boiled egg (I actually eat this a lot for breakfast and wondered if the sausage is something I should limit but I see so many people who have bacon for brkfst that I figure niman ranch is nitrite free. Thoughts?)
    -latte-
    Lunch Cobb salad
    Snack Fage yogurt and
    Dinner -- lazy today as all my proteins were frozen
    protein shake with cultured coconut milk
    2 slices of ezekiel bread grilled with raw milk cheddar and pate with Kerry gold butter.
    I bought pate and I've been trying to use it up since I really have a hard time eating it.

Today I had a lot of dairy but I'm not trying to limit it. I'll have to watch if it impacts weightless or inches lost. The Ezekiel bread was rare also as I would like to keep my carbs down a little bit lower for weightloss.

Today's carb count was 90 and my goal is to keep it bouncing from 50-100 but try and have carbs as more from my veggies and fruit so today is a bit off.
    Fat count was 117 and protein 130 and calorie count 1900. Not sure where i should be at since I'm 176 trying to get closer to 140-150 lbs. I guess I'll have to play around with calories and fat counts.

3/30

Wow I really need to go grocery shopping! That's one thing when your primal- you need to be prepared I was able to scrape p a dinner though. Feeling prettY good about my options. Went to a meeting and they had breakfast and it was great to see they included boiled eggs to go with all the carb and bread options.

I need to start moving and getting my long walks in but one day at a time.

Breakfast- apple Gouda sausage and 2 boiled eggs. Later strawberry''s and honeydew and coffee with half and half
    Lunch- coconut green curry chicken and 1/2cup of white rice - not the full 30 model but much improved
    Snack- Fage yogurt and protein shake with cultured coconut
    Dinner- red cabbage casserole with chicken and turkey sausage with cheese on top

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Niman ranch apple Gouda sausage should be fine. Sausage is great if it doesn't have crap in it, which Niman's does not.

Welcome and good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Niman ranch apple Gouda sausage should be fine. Sausage is great if it doesn't have crap in it, which Niman's does not.

Welcome and good luck!
    I'm so glad to hear the sausage should be okay. It seriously is my guilty pleasure each morning and now I won't feel so guilty eating it.

Day 5/30
    Breakfast meeting included bacon, eggs, egg cup, and a small portion of hash browns.
    Lunch salmon spinach salad
    Fruit
    Roasted chicken, broccoli, and sweet potato.

Yesterday was a good eating day with mainly veggies and proteins. I also did some upper body weight and slow pace only elliptical. This weekend I hope to go on some long walks.

Next week my goal is to eat cleaner than this week and keep up with slow paced exercise and some strength building.

FLGurl is offline Junior Member
    Hi KCJohn,
    The Niman ranch sausage sounds delicious! They always make great products. I wish I had some. :-)
    I try to avoid nitrates too and buy nitrate-free bacon and cold cuts. Applegate Farms organic products are great if available in your area. A bit pricey, but I wait for a sale and stock up the freezer. There are a few other brands that do nitrate free so you should be able to find some in your area.
    Congratulations on starting the challenge and I hope you meet all your goals!

Thanks FLGurl. I might need to call my first 30 days the test run and then do another 30 strict! I'm enjoying this lifestyle though and think I have added some really great habits.

Day 10/30

Mainly done well but had some off items this weekend. Today has been great so far. Started my morning with a low HR on the Elliptical for 35 minutes. I use the one in my house and tend to not walk in my neighborhood because it's not the safest walking area. I noticed I've been really tired at work lately and drinking lots of lattes so I've adapted my morning coffee to not use just milk but protein shakes and heavy cream. I'm not opposed to dairy, just trying to keep my carb count down a little bit more.

8:00am Breakfast: Niman Ranch Sausage and one boiled egg
    Drink: Half a cup of coffee with heavy cream and portion of a canned protein drink (I use my frother to make my own latte)
    1:30pm Lunch: cobb salad-
    I'm really proud of myself for stretching to eat lunch this late. I've been trained for so long in the idea of 5 meals a day and eating every three hours. So I conciously didn't take my lunch break at 12 like everyone else and waited till I was hungry. I think this will help with reducing the amount of afternoon snacks I have and try and train myself to only eat when hungry.
    Dinner: Not sure yet but brocolli and some protein.

18/30

Still struggling staying on task and eating more 70/30 but Im focus and just need to track my food daily.

Today done well with my eating.

B- two eggs and two sausages
    Coffee with coconut milk and protein shake
    L -cobb salad
    1 piece dark chocolate
    D - chicken thighs and broccoli

I forgot to mention yesterday I sautéed some chicken livers in ghee and onions with mushrooms. It looked good but I just couldn't handle the taste. I really was gagging. I felt so bad throwing away this dish that I'm sure those who love liver would enjoy. I'm not really sure what the benefits of liver are that I can't get in other foods but I have given up on liver. I've even tried pate and the flavor is just not appealing to me.

I do wonder about the right vitamin d supplementation so that's my next thing to look into. I take a vitamin d pill that has zinc and magnesium to it. One pill of the vitamin d is 200 iu so I'm only taking 600iu a day and I see some people take much higher than that so I'm not sure where to get my supplements at