Thread: Primal Journal - T's Road Back to Health page

MizzIronT is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal - T's Road Back to Health

Primal Fuel
    After losing 110 lbs and training for several years to compete in figure competitions (undereating and overworking) I'm left battling hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue. My Dr. recommended I eat and rest. That recommendation led to 60 lbs rebound weight! Now I realize I just needed some adjustments - coming to a screeching halt just made things worse.

For now, it's time to get real. I've mostly been on and off with getting primal in the last couple of months. But as I see it my health could really use some consistency.

My struggles are eating out, being too exhausted to want to get in the gym, and undereating.

So here goes Day 1 of this 30 day challenge... which should repeat every 30 days for the rest of my life. As a bonus, every 15 lbs I get rewarded with a girlz night out!

Meal #1 - 3 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 3 strips bacon (no hormones, steroids, nitrites, or nitrates) cooked in coconut oil. I had cooked a large zucchini but threw it out because it tasted like pure pesticide! (not organic)

Meal #2 - 1 apple, 1 cucumber, whey protein, coconut oil (vitamix)

Meal #3 - grass-fed beef, spaghetti squash, tomato sauce (spaghetti!)

Meal #4 - homemade grain-free muffins
    Last edited by MizzIronT; 09-14-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Yesterday, doing well with my new lifestyle. I'm also playing in the kitchen. I'm trying to find snacks that I can sneak more coconut oil in for my kids. (they think I'm crazy).

Meal #1 - 2 grain-free muffins

Meal #2 - omelette (w/ sausage, green peppers, onions), grapes, cottage cheese (never had a problem with it), and 2 slices of bacon

Meal #3 - strawberry banana smoothie

Meal #4 - unstuffed cabbage (Dana Carpender's 15 min. Low Carb Recipe book)

Meal #5 - zucchini brownies

Today, I'm down 1.4 lbs. I realize that's water, but with as much as I'm eating (2300 calories) I'm thrilled.

I've been working on getting more of my low intensity "cardio" in. After 6 months of "resting" I couldn't believe the amount of sweat I produced for such little amount of work.

There's also a powerlifting meet I'm thinking about competing in in a few months. Not sure I want to train in the traditional way for that though. Still thinking....

The weather is beautiful here so I'm going for a trail walk for a change of scenery.

DAY 3 Feeling Great!

Today was awesome! It's finally cooling off here and I felt pretty good today. Fatigue and brain fog left me alone. Always nice!

Meal #1 - 2 zucchini brownies

Meal #2 - 3 eggs, broccoli "slaw" cooked in coconut oil, 1/2 avocado

Meal #3 - 2 more zucchini brownies

Meal #4 - Spanish "rice" (another Dana Carpender favorite!)

I haven't felt too much like eating today. Seems like my digestion has slowed the last few days.

I got in a home grown crossfit workout this afternoon.
    3 rounds:
    65m sprint
    15 air squats
    10 burpees
    7 min. 24 seconds

Several hours later I got a 30 minute walk in the nature park.

Amazingly I feel great! Normally I would be tired after such an intense workout (yeah, I almost puked! and I'm a newbie to crossfit!)

Day 3 complete, right? Time flies when you are having fun.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I'm glad the challenge is going well for you. Grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks for the welcome!

I heard this yesterday and through all the transformations I've made in the last few years I found it perfect and true. Thought I'd share...

Willpower isn't an inexhaustible thing actually. That alone will only take you so far. It runs out for all of us and then needs to be renewed. Long term success transcends far beyond simple will power to stay the course. There needs to be shift from this is what you do, which requires willpower, to this is who you are, which is less about willpower (and also allows for a more balanced mindset not requiring perfection).

a moment of silence..... AMEN!

I'm down another 1 lb today and still feeling great! As I've mentioned before, I'm logging my foods because I have a tendency to undereat and with the adrenal/thyroid condition I really need to keep an eye on it. Not that every day should be perfect but when I fall back in that pattern of not eating, I need to be aware of it. ANYWHOO.... I logged 179 grams of fat yesterday and 120 grams of carbs. Ohhhh... the low fat cult would be cringing at that number. Even the brainwashed portion of me expected horrid consequences from consuming that much fat.

I watched the crossfit games on ESPN last night. Those women are very inspiring. I think I found another goal.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm not going to post my food from yesterday but calories were still in the 2300 range. I got home late and was tempted to stop at Subway for dinner, but instead I cooked grass-fed filet with green beans. And this morning I'm down ANOTHER pound. Water or not, a shift towards a healthy balance is taking place.

CROSSFIT
    Strength: Overhead Squats for max

Although not new to lifting, or even lifting heavy, this was my first time to ever do overhead squats.
    3 x 45
    3 x 45
    3 x 65
    1 x 75 (had to bail on bad form)
    2 x 75
    2 x 85
    1 x 85 (maxed out here)

WOD: 3 min. AMRAP pull-ups, 5k row (deduct 100m for every pull-up completed)

31 pull-ups (with the black band )
    1900m row
    TIME: 14.35

I didn't seen any negative affects this morning from the workouts. Basal temps are the same and fatigue seems no worse than normal. Sore as hell though, but I LOVE it.

I didn't feel like eating until about 10 this morning. I used my brand new cast iron skillet for "breakfast" - organic bacon (no nitrates or other crap), 2 eggs, broccoli, and grass-fed garlic cheddar (what's the research on this?) Forgot my avocado.