Thread: Zuzana's Primal Journal (A way of life.) page

nikkyz4 is offline Junior Member

Smile Zuzana's Primal Journal (A way of life.)

Shop Now
    Day 1 of Primal 30 day challenge:
    In addition to the challenge, my mini-goals:
    1. Eat when hungry and most of all DO NOT eat when not hungry.
    2. Play more, stress less.
    3. To move slowly for 5 hrs each week.

The more I read about the Primal way of life, the more I embrace it. There will always be ups and downs, but I like that it's not a fad diet, but a lifestyle. It focuses on living life to the fullest and not stressing so much on being perfect with respect to diet and exercise. I love Mark's quote: "Hell, part of being human is "messing up" and rolling with the punches. To deny that basic inherency in pursuit of absolute 100% unrealistic perfection can actually be worse than giving in occasionally."
    So I'm here to start my "sure to be somewhat stumbling" journey on the way to a better/healthier/rejuvinated body and mind.

Thumbs up Day 1 Review

B: coffee (w/ splenda and half 'n half)
    L: salad (romaine lettuce, peppers, carrots, celery, cucumber, 2 hard-boiled eggs, chicken thigh) w/ poppyseed salad dressing), suger-free jello cup
    D: baked chicken leg, almonds, peas
    Snack: string cheese, fruit snacks

I figured that's not too bad... I was trying to start the day with a fast, but I really like having a coffee in the morning. And I should probably get rid of the splenda - any opinions on that?
    Also the fruit snacks really don't fall into the primal diet, I just couldn't resist - it was a long day, I was tired, and wanted sugar (I'll work on that).

Exercise: Getting my scuba diving certification, so I spent 2.5 hours in the water, I'd say that's part of my "play," but I'm not sure that it counts towards "move slow" b/c I do'nt think my heart rate was in the 50-75% (although I wasn't wearing a heart rate monitor), since this was mostly instruction and learning how to use the scuba equipment.

I'd appreciate any feedback / advice.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    On the Question of Sweeteners | Mark's Daily Apple
    Stevia is generally the primal recommend sweetener. A lot of people make the switch from dairy in their coffee to coconut or almond based "milk".

Also generally it's not recommended to start off with a fast when you're new to this (though you didn't say when you started trying to eat primal)! You are probably supplementing with sugar because you aren't getting fuel in the morning. Some people find it easier to eat on a schedule and that may help with feeling hungry/wanting to eat in the morning.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thank you for the feedback... I'll switch to Stevia for my coffee, and give the coconut milk a try.

To give you a brief history of my Primal life thus far:
    Before the challenge started, I followed the Primal diet for about 3 weeks and found it to be easy to stick with as long as I planned ahead. Definitelly had to do a lot more cooking, but the food was tasty and I didn't miss the sandwiches, pizza or the hot pockets that I lived on before. And since I've always liked vegetables, getting more of them into my diet was not something that I shied away from.
    But then we lost power for a week (and all the non-perishable food with it), and went on vacation the following week, and the primal diet was over. When we got home, I realized that I had gained about 3lbs, and just didn't feel great. I decide to give the Primal diet another shot (the week before the challenge started) and within a day, noticed that I wasn't bloated anymore and was less lethargic. These changes just reinstated in me that grains just don't agree with my system and that I want to follow this way of life.

Day #2:
    B: coffee (w/ splenda and half 'n half), hard-boiled egg, 2 pieces of bacon, half a green pepper
    L: salad (romaine lettuce, peppers, carrots, celery, cucumber, 2 hard-boiled eggs, chicken thigh) w/ poppyseed salad dressing), suger-free jello cup
    D: spinach and goat cheese omelet, 1 piece of greek meatza from Mark's recipes (Greek Meatza with Creamy Feta, Kalamata Olives and Red Onion | Mark's Daily Apple)
    Snack: string cheese, fruit snacks

Exercise: 45min horseback riding (walk, trot, canter, collection and extension) - definitely works my core muscles

Day #3

Day #3:
    B: coffee (w/ splenda and half 'n half), left-over spinach and goat cheese omelet, and 2 pc of bacon
    L: 2 pieces of greek meatza, cantalope (1 cup), suger-free jello cup
    D: 1 piece of greek meatza, salad (lettuce, peppers, celery, carrots, peas) w/ french dressing, almonds
    Snack: string cheese, fruit snacks, corn pops (I guess I really do need to clean out the pantry, otherwise the temptation is too much)

Exercise: sprints

Day #4:
    B: coffee (w/ splenda and half 'n half), string cheese, 1/2 green pepper
    L: 2 pieces of greek meatza, 1/2 cup raspberries, suger-free jello cup, 1 Tbsp almond butter w/ celery sticks
    D: baked chicken thigh, brocolli and cauliflower, almonds
    Snack: string cheese, few pepperoni, fruit snacks

Exercise: 2hrs scuba diving training