Thread: Glucosamine/ joint problems page

lesliek is offline Member

I have a friend who is generally averse to taking medication, for fear of side effects. Recently, however, he began taking a glucosamine supplement. He's had knee problems for quite awhile, which I think is his motivation behind doing so.

What is glucosamine and what does it do? Do any of you take it? Are there any possible harms, or more natural ways to help the knees/joints? (He runs several miles a week in spite of the pain, because he thinks it's good for his overall health). Thanks!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I don't know the mechanics of how it works (I've heard some mumbo-jumbo about how it causes the soft tissues to absorb more water to make it more cushiony) but I do know that it works for me. I used to have pains in my feet every morning when I woke up that made me hobble around like a little old lady for several minutes, but the glucosamine/chondroitin cured that within two weeks. I've been taking it a few years now. From previous inquiry on this website, consensus seems to be that it is fairly natural.

And, of course, cutting out inflammatory grains will be a big help if he hasn't done that.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

OP, I'm sure you know how to Google or Wiki your question. We sure aren't the experts.

I can't say I've ever had relief from a sporadic knee problem that I could say was cause and effect. OTOH, my son in law had a dog that as it aged it could no longer do marathons (really!) with Rick. Rick fed him chondroiton/glucasamine and the dog was much better. Can't say it marathoned again, but much better.

It's pretty expensive, so I no longer take it. And my knee situation is fine.

Oh, so your friend has knee problems and is running a few miles a week? Hello.............