Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The sun and aging of the skin page

Primaldane Guest

Primal Fuel

I've read everything about the sun here on MDA. I get that sun exposure (in moderation) is good and healthy for us. But what about wrinkles? Does the sun cause aging of the skin, even if you never get burned, or sunbath for hours?

Also see this forum, where they discuss our dear Mark's "aging skin" because of his love for sun exposure:

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=28705

Nick Guest

Worth discussing is how long Mark has been eating his current diet. The skin is substantially less susceptible to burn when you get more Omega-3 and less Omega-6 (a relatively simple switch led to a 2x time to burn in a hairless mouse skin cancer model). Mark obviously hasn't always had his same diet, re: his days of competitive marathoning and demolishing half gallons of ice cream.

I do think that's one of the more unflattering pictures of Mark I've seen. The other thing to take into account is that that picture is of him at 50, and he's 55 now. If you go compare with a picture here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/about-2/mark-sisson/ it looks more like he's gone from 50 to 45 in terms of how his skin looks in the last 5 years. Maybe Mark can enlighten us about what his diet had evolved to by that point in time.

62shelby Guest

I read the link.......thats like comparing apples to oranges.....

Mark has been an athlete most of his life and hasnt always been primal, so his sun exposure will I imagine be relatively higher than an actor like Jared Letos, (probably stayed out of the sun more) whom by the way has packed on weight for film roles....

the more interesting question would be how does their blood panel compare? lipids, vit d, fasting insulin levels etc.

Primaldane Guest

PS. I think Mark looks great! Actually it's because of him and his beautiful wife, I no longer fear sun exposure. But people still tell me "you will get lots of wrinkles".

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I would say that there is an undeniable difference in sun tolerance from race to race. Innate differences in skin melanin should give us a clue about how much sun can we handle while being healthy. The rest I think is common sense...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Nick Guest

On the other hand, it's obvious Jared Leto's vegan diet is doing wonders. Look how he's recovered from that beating Edward Norton gave him.

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member

Not to mention we all have great photos taken of us, and not-so-great photos. I'm sure there are less flattering pics of Leto than the one chosen. Maybe the poster in that forum should have used the pic of Mark and his wife.

Noturningback is offline Junior Member

I thought Mark looked good in the photo linked in the first post.

I have gotton a lot of freckles from sun exposure and I don't sit in the sun - I never enjoyed tanning for the sake of tanning. I use sunblock on my nose and under my eyes - every so often on my shoulders. It's more for vanity if I'm honest.

marci Guest

For some reason people tell me my skin looks great (I disagree) but I've had alot of sun exposure. Here's a fact- I look much better tan! I do worry about wrinkles but then at my age they are to be expected (I'm 47)

SullynNH Guest

That photo of Mark is a still shot captured from a video...the pic of Letos is probably touched up too...both probably have on a touch of "make-up" too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast