Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The sun and aging of the skin page 2

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I've done a lot of research on Vitamin D, sun exposure, cancer risks, etc. in the last month. I've started a thread or two on these. Here are some factoids I feel comfortable stating.

1. Even the sun worshipers recognize that excessive tanning wrecks the skin. My buddy's ex-wife and her sister had some weird desire to "be black" in all senses. By 40 their skin was like an alligator's. And if you look at populations that spend a lot of time out of doors, the sun damage is obvious. I'm speaking here of Caucasians, of course. Africans and their descendants seem to have beautiful, unwrinkled skin well into old age.

2. You don't need much exposure to get very prophylactic levels of Vitamind D, especially if you are white and it's summertime midday. Or take capsules.

3. Vitamin D and as mentioned, Omega 3's are our body's way of slowing down or healing UVB damages.

4. Now, this is really interesting: The dreaded melanomas have almost no causation with sunlight! Not that the multi-billion dollar sunscreen and dermatology industries would want you to know. Not only do people get them who spend "no" time in the sunlight, but the locations are not on the places that get the most sun! IIRC, white men most often get them on their backs, white women, was it inner thighs? And blacks........on the soles of their feet! UVB will cause more of the cancers (sorry, medical terminology not my forte) that are almost 100% benign. That's the trade off, as I see it, for getting all that Vitamin D that stops so many internal cancers. Hmmmmm.....easily excised non-malignant skin cancer or a colon tumor? Hmmmmm.....

5. Burning, like we all used to think was part of the rites of early summer, is probably a zillion (scientific terminology) times worse than continued exposure but with a tanned skin. For me, personally, I'd have to thrown in there living the sailing/surfing and lifeguarding I did back then, and then years of high altitude outdoor living. I figure my goose is cooked anyway, so a few hours a week in the sun now is no biggy.

Marci, I expect a middle aged (white) woman to have lines. I find it unsettling when they don't. It's part of what makes a woman a woman and not a girl.

Katt is offline Senior Member

People might be interested in this article by Dr. Eades.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/s...bate-d-bunked/

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

mseibel is offline Junior Member

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Interesting...Glad I live in the sunshine state! Primaldane, if you're concerned about wrinkles, I'd suggest wearing an SPF lotion on your face and neck everyday, but skimp on the rest of your body.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

That Protein Power link had some other good links....you know how that is!

Here is a very good, very scientific Power Point presentation showing how sunscreens INCREASE your odds of getting melanoma.

http://www.grassrootshealth.org/_dow...emma120208.pdf

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

all I know is I put sunscreen spf 15 on my face everyday since I was in my 30's and my brother is 18 mon younger then me and lives in AZ and don't use sunscreen....I look 10 years younger then him!! oxox Darlene

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12