Thread: Primal Pregnant Lady page

alliecat123 is offline Junior Member

Primal Pregnant Lady

Primal Fuel
    I've decided to join in on the 30-day Primal Challenge, and I'm also 6 weeks pregnant with my first child. I've been eating paleo/primal for a little over a year now, but with wide variations in my level of commitment. Beer and pizza are two of my favorite things in life, and now that one of those is eliminated for sure for the next 8 months, I figure I can kick the other one, too!

Since I found out I was pregnant 2 weeks ago, I've definitely been eating better, but not totally primal. I keep a food log but don't count calories. I think having a journal will help me with accountability and to say no to those yummy carbs that sound so good.

Here's my meal plan for today (which I planned yesterday without realizing that the challenge started today):
    B: Frittata (eggs, grass-fed beef, fajita seasoning, red & orange bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, 1/4 avocado)
    L: 2 corn tortillas (I know!) with Trader Joe's carne asada and chicken asada, grilled onions & bell peppers, little bit of cheddar cheese, sour cream and salsa, 3 small squares dark chocolate
    S: (if hungry) carrots & ranch dip, hardboiled egg
    D: Pork tenderloin, Swiss chard w/ caramelized onions

Probably too much dairy in there for starting the challenge, but I'll cut back. They had lunch brought in at work today and there was a lovely chicken salad sandwich and cookies calling my name, but I resisted and ate the yummy leftovers from last night. Small victories!

I also do CrossFit, and am aiming to go 3-4x/week right now. I'm trying to figure out how to scale back and think I'm doing a pretty good job so far. Just trying to scale back the weight and intensity. Physically I feel fineómaybe just a little tired. But it's still early! I'm hoping that I avoid the morning sickness all together.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Welcome & congrats on your pregnancy!

I wrote a guest blog post on Primal Pregnancy nutrition that you might find interesting. Here's the link:
    Is It Healthy to Live a Primal Lifestyle While Pregnant?

walnut is offline Member
    congrats!

I've found that eating smaller meals more frequently saved me from pregnancy fatigue. Also, dropping my carbs eliminated morning sickness.

Good luck to you! And glad to see another pregnant paleo

alliecat123 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you, Dragonfly and walnut - great information!!

Yesterday went very well - dinner changed to a Greek salad w/ grilled chicken, which I devoured at 8pm when I finally got around to dinner. I wasn't hungry for snacks in the afternoon but wow was I hungry by the time I sat down for dinner. I had a mini box of raisins as dessert (instead of the ice cream in the freezer!).

This morning I planned to eat more of the frittata I made on Sunday, but the thought of a Mexican frittata this morning made my stomach turn. I knew I was hungry but not a lot sounded appealing. So, I ran through the ChickfilA drive through and got an egg & cheese biscuit. I know, I know - not primal at all. But that's really the only thing I could think of that didn't make me sick so I ate it.

Plan for the rest of the day is more chicken & carne asada leftovers from Sunday's dinner with grilld veggies, salsa and guacamole (skipped the corn tortillas today). If that is not appealing at lunch time I will try to find something bland in the cafeteria downstairs, but no more grains. Dinner will be at a work meeting at a restaurant famous for it's down-home Southern cooking (oy!). We're talking a buffet of fried chicken, mac & cheese, and veggies cooked beyond recognition. I believe last time they had some kind of grilled pork or chicken, so I will stick to that and a side of veggies. I can always eat something more when I get home if I'm still hungry.