Thread: Whey protein page

kilton is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

What are everyone's thoughts on whey protein? I make protein shakes with low-carb chocolate whey power and heavy cream. They're delicious, but I find myself wondering if they're a legitimate part of a primal diet.

Annika is offline Senior Member

I'm suspicious. I have read some stuff about the high heat processing doing bad stuff to the cholesterol in the whey. I may be remembering the specifics wrong, and I can't point you to any sources, but after reading about it a couple of months ago, that was my conclusion. Oxidized cholesterol, maybe? Hopefully someone less ignorant than I will chime in!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

There's nothing in whey protein that I can't get from whole foods... so I ditched it.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I wouldn&#39;t call it primal... I mean, it&#39;s a VERY processed product.

But I think it&#39;s okay in a pinch (you need more protein/calories/whatnot and there&#39;s no meat around, or you&#39;re in a hurry, or whatever) and I keep some around...

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

It&#39;s not Primal IMO, but I keep a canister of Wegmans store brand (organic, yada yada) in my cupboard for those rare occasions that I want it, or need a very quick meal. It used to be a regular part of my diet, and still makes an appearance at breakfast from time to time.

Jasetyn is offline Junior Member

I would say based on the theories primal seems to be developed on, humans weren&#39;t intended to subsist off of dairy products, but it&#39;s an adaptational fact that certain ethnicities have developed ways of turning dairy-based products into nutrition, so...what do you think you should do? That&#39;s kind of the most important thing, I think.

JamieBelle is offline Member

I use whey on a daily basis. It&#39;s fast and convenient, and I have a full-time job and a five-year-old. It&#39;s better than a bowl of cheerios. lol

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Bah!

My capsules of Omega 3 are even more processed than Whey. That&#39;s not "primal", I am going to ditch them. Grok didn&#39;t use a stove... hot showers... a bike... insulated homes... the internet... underwear... I think I will give all that stuff up too.

Give me a break. Welcome to 2010. Drink your whey.

Read p 142 of PB. Whey may not be "primal" but it is "blueprint".

misathemeb is offline Member

i make a whey protein smoothie with unsweetened almond milk and about 20 frozen blueberries when i&#39;m in a pinch for breakfast or if i&#39;ve worked out over lunch and need something to hold me over until dinner at 7-8pm

Annika is offline Senior Member

Here's the thread I read a couple of months ago which discussed oxidized (rancid) cholesterol being bad for you. Whey is processed at high heat, which oxidizes the cholesterol, rendering it harmful. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ed-cholesterol

Here's some more information I found. I got quite interested and Googled for a while. Most of the hits were from sites wanting to sell me products, but I managed to find some information from (seemingly) non-biased sources.

What’s Oxidized Cholesterol?

Remember all those studies that came out that said cholesterol was bad for you? According to Ray Peat, PhD:

Around 1971, someone noticed that the commercial cholesterol used in feeding experiments was oxidized, that is, it wasn’t really cholesterol. Comparing carefully prepared, unoxidized cholesterol with the oxidized degraded material, it was found that pure dietary cholesterol was relatively non-atherogenic. (Source: Ray Peat’s Newsletter September 2005)

What does this mean? Bruce Fife, N.D., explains:

The cholesterol in fresh milk, eggs and meat is not oxidized and is utilized by the body to strengthen cell membranes, synthesize vital hormones, and build brain and nerve tissue. The drying process in making powdered milk, cheese, and eggs fully oxidizes the cholesterol in these products. Once oxidized it can not be utilized in the normal fashion to build and strengthen body tissues, but is packed away into the plaque of injured arteries. Eating such foods will surely clog your arteries faster than any other substance known on the face of the earth. (Source: Saturated Fat May Save Your Life

Sally Fallon Morell elaborates:

A note on the production of skim milk powder: liquid milk is forced through a tiny hole at high pressure, and then blown out into the air. This causes a lot of nitrates to form and the cholesterol in the milk is oxidized. Those of you who are familiar with my work know that cholesterol is your best friend; you don’t have to worry about natural cholesterol in your food; however, you do not want to eat oxidized cholesterol. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to the buildup of plaque in the arteries, to atherosclerosis. So when you drink reduced-fat milk thinking that it will help you avoid heart disease, you are actually consuming oxidized cholesterol, which initiates the process of heart disease. (Source: Dirty Secrets of the Food Processing Industry)
    (from http://www.cheeseslave.com/2009/08/2...od-in-america/)

On the other hand, I found an article (http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=2374004) which shows a number of health benefits from consuming whey protein, including anti-cancer properties, and was "found to be a potent inhibitor of oxidized low density lipoprotein cholesterol." This article is worth reading and was very convincing. However, it notes,
    It should be noted that not all whey protein concentrates are created equal. Processing whey protein to remove the lactose and fats without losing its biological activity takes special care by the manufacturer. The protein must be processed under low temperature and low acid conditions so as not to "denature" the protein. Maintaining the natural state of the protein is essential to its biological activity.
    Here's a summary of the different forms of whey protein; apparently whey protein varies tremendously (who knew?). Warning: this site is trying to sell you something. http://www.criticalbench.com/whey_supplement_buy.htm
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore