Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal -- Starting at Age 60 -- dkd2001 page

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal -- GOING PRIMAL AT AGE 60 -- dkd2001

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    September 12, 2011, Day One of this year's 30 Day Challenge, and my first Challenge.

Background: As I noted in my Journal title, I'm starting Primal at age 60. My diet history, as is true for most women, is one of ups and downs -- most successful probably with Atkins 10 or 12 years ago. But, I gradually fell off -- started eating a bit of bread, a bit of potato, then more. Weight crept back on. Did a full elimination diet in early 2009 -- found problems with corn, mushrooms, chicken egg yolk (but not duck!), basil, and a few other things. Lost 20 pounds without trying. Didn't lose any fat, however.

So in May 2009 I started a 12 week body building challenge. Did the weight program, did HIIT 3 times a week, ate 5 to six smaller meals every day. Lost weight and put on muscle. Got down to 164 pounds, size eight, and felt great. Then I started the next 12 week challenge devoted to building muscle -- The heavy weights were too much for my joints. Strain and pain resulted. I kept with the diet, but without the daily exercise grind, pounds came back on. So, by April 2011, I was up to 190. I read Robb Wolf's Paleo Diet and remembered Atkins successes from the past. So I went high Protein, high fat and low carb. I managed to lose a few pounds, but have been stuck around 182 form most of the summer.

Started reading more. Read Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat. Liked the science (I spent 10 years doing cancer research and have a MA in Biology, so I like science) so I read his earlier book, GCBC and realized that many of the things I saw during the time I did research weren't aberrations, but were the way that Big Science works today -- hand in glove with Big Government. Somewhere in there, I found Mark's Daily Apple and the Primal Blueprint. Love the ideas. Love especially the exercise component and the idea of play. No more lifting three reps of weights to failure! My elbows rejoice!

So, I've been doing Primal eating since May. Started a leptin reset on July 19 -- but since I haven't been doing a consistent job with the reset, I continue. Still, this morning I realized that I slept thru the night for the second time this week. So maybe I'm getting there! With the leptin reset, (Jack Krause at jackkrause.com) regular exercise is discouraged. I have been REALLY compliant there.

I do feel ready to start some workouts. I have a Total Gym, and I use it for the start-up overhead press and chin-up routines. Pushups are on a slant (I'm using a high railing at this point.) I don't personally do knee push-ups -- they don't work quite the same muscles and are hard on those unhappy joints, so I'm working down from wall pushups to railing, to lower and lower until I'm finally on the floor. (I have never done a pushup in my life from the floor, with good form.) Planks, I'm starting with a standard plank (arms strait planks are too hard on my elbows) -- only 20 seconds at this point, with 15 seconds on right and left. Squats -- I can do about 20 and really need to pay attention to form and knee tracking! Squats really push my heart rate as well, which I hadn't noticed in the past.

I'm happy to be doing the 30 day challenge. Doing regular reporting really helps me stay psyched!

Today I will do LHT workout. And start packing for the end of the summer -- I live on Vancouver Island in the summer and Boulder, Colorado in the winter. We leave for the States on Friday (drive to Victoria, catch the Blackball ferry to Port Angeles, WA and on to Hillsboro OR and a visit to my mother-in-law. Home in Boulder on Monday evening. Have a weekend karate camp starting on the Friday after I return. Not ready for that one!

This morning, for breakfast, I had a fried porkchop (in coconut oil and goatmilk butter) with two duck eggs, some green chilies and leftover fresh salsa. And two squares of Endangered Species Extra Dark Chocolate (88%). The huge breakfast keeps me going until two or so (today had breakfast at about 7:30 am.)

My problems with Leptin Reset Compliance: I rarely eat within 30 minutes of rising -- since I have to cook my breakfast (and I take my thyroid pill upon rising) it often takes an hour to get breakfast on the table. My other lack of compliance -- wine. Most evenings. We have an active wine group on the island, and we get together often. Since we socialize much less in Colorado, I think that I will go dry for a month or two, and see if that helps with kicking the weight down. I will also start tracking daily -- I've been using Diet Tracker -- and will decide if I want to do some calorie restriction as well.

See you all tomorrow!
    Last edited by dkd2001; 09-12-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

And so goes the Experiment of One.

This week is pretty cockeyed -- leaving for four days on the road tomorrow morning. Me, my husband and the three dogs. Lucky for us, the youngest pup has motion pills that work all day, so the trip should be okay.

Did LHT on Monday and will repeat today. Tuesday was an hour with the osteopath and some heavy prodding and pushing. Last time for the summer. We have been working on the 3-D torque in my spine, hips and shoulders -- trying to normalize my walking, standing, etc. My right leg, hip and abs are considerable weaker than the left, so some of my current exercises consist of selective strengthening -- mainly balancing on one leg, at the moment. Surprising how difficult that can be.

Tai Chi on Wednesday.

Meals -- big breakfast (usually a pork chop or bacon) and duck eggs. Except on Tuesday, I tried a short IF in the morning, mostly because I had a choice between food and watching a whale pod swim by, and I chose the whales. Big pod, beautiful day. Watched twenty or thirty whales swim by over about thirty minutes. I don't think I'm fully Leptin Reset yet -- had two less than restful nights sleep, so I won't be doing that again soon although travel will undoubtedly disturb some of the planned meals -- especially early and immediate breakfast. So, I'll be happy with 80/20 for the next several days.

I am psyched about getting home to Colorado. I have located a grass-fed bison, beef, lamb and pork store fairly nearby and plan to spend some good cash there as soon as I return. I have also found a good source of grass fed beef in Canada for next year, plus some local farmers for lamb and a place in Victoria that does leaf lard to check out.

Of course, one of the reasons we are heading back now is hunting season. October is Pronghorn (aka antelope, tho not a true antelope -- those are all in Africa) in Wyoming. One of our favorite meats. Slightly sagey and sweet, Lope makes the best chilie and stew, as well as chops. You can cook it for a couple of days and it stays together instead of shredding like beef. Of course, it needs added fat -- and I'm going to use grass-fed, free-to-roam pork for that.

November is elk/deer. I'm not partial to venison and we got an elk last year (split with his brother) so we have elk left. Elk are much more challenging to hunt, and very dependent on the weather -- there has to be enough snow to bring the elk down out of the really high country and not so much as to make hunting on foot impossible. Their elk area is near Craig, Colorado.

Now I must point out -- I do not hunt. I fear that I would not want to eat what I killed, so I count myself lucky to be married to a long-time hunter and fisher. We are taking back salmon, halibut and crab from the northwest to give us fish through the winter months in Colorado (I do fish on rare occasions, but tend to get seasick if the weather isn't perfect.)

Tonight will be a dinner out. I'm hardboiling about a dozen turkey and duck eggs for the trip and we have pretty well emptied the fridge for the season except for tomorrow mornings breakfast. So tonight -- it is duck confit (the best I have tried over several great restaurants on three continents) right here Point-no-Point on Vancouver Island. Probably also the scallop appy. Yum.

I'll probably be able to check in once during the trip.

Meanwhile, enjoying the primal life.

September 22 -- Thursday. No check-ins during the trip. Made it back to Colorado and spent Tuesday unpacking and Wednesday afternoon shopping for meat! I bought a free-range chicken, a couple of beef steaks (grass fed and finished, of course) some bison and lamb and pork from free-ranging pigs. Also some raw cheese. Got a taste of raw milk -- both goat and cow. I don't drink much milk, but it was mighty tasty. I would never use a gallon a week though, so I'll not be buying a cowshare at this point. But I'm thrilled to find a great source of pastured meat near my home.

I also bought some beef fat and some pork fat. I'll be rendering them sometime next week, I hope.

Today my new toy arrived. A Cellercisor Rebounder. I'm starting off easy, with several health bounce sessions today -- that's just a couple of minutes bouncing with the soles of your feet on the tramp. It is surprisingly invigorating. I am going to love this way to combine play with exercise. I basically don't like formal exercise.

Tomorrow afternoon it's off the the mountains and a weekend at Karate Camp -- a challenge for someone who hasn't done any karate for the whole summer. It will be fun, though, it always is.

Had a great dinner -- three seared scallops (seared in very hot coconut oil for about three minutes a side -- finally, done the way I like them in restaurants!). Then a bit of left-over halibut (caught by my husband this summer) and some shrimp (Costco) in a sauce I made with the hot oil, a dash of vodka to deglaze, some butter, a nice, hot New Mexico roasted chili pepper, chopped, and some heavy cream, reduced and served with the various fish. Yum.

All for now. Maybe early to bed and an early rise in the morning.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Primal is great at any age. I'm 68.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Back to LHT!

So today I did my first LHT workout since getting back to Colorado. I did spend the weekend at karate camp and my knees did not respond happily. I've been doing the Health Bounce for 10 min, two or three times a day, on my rebounder and it seems to be helping my knees loosen up.

Been eating pretty primal. I do have some slippage with great, prime, steaks -- corn fed. Had half a rib-eye last night and some sliced up today for lunch (post-workout). For breakfast, I had three duck eggs and mexican chili for breakfast. Yummy. Tonight is a big-ass salad with tuna. We buy our tuna from Elwa cannery in Port Angeles WA -- great solid white albacore.

My husband put together a new BBQ yesterday (the old one rusted out) -- hence the BBQ steaks for dinner. We may do salmon tomorrow. It's unseasonably warm here in Boulder -- mid 80s again today, though it is supposed to cool off for one day tomorrow, but only into the 70s. So instead of having my summer on Vancouver Island (which was quite cool this year) I'm having it here in September. We haven't had a frost yet, so I can't yet call it Indian Summer (my absolute favorite season of the year.)

Time to go bounce again!

Hi Hedonist! Thanks for the welcome. I can't wait to try the Avocado Mousse I found on your blog.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Fellow N'Wester here. Puget Sound, actually.

My DH started doing this with me about three months ago and he is 65. Over 25 pounds lost and he is by no means 100% on this WOE. I'll be here rooting for you!

Katja is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkd2001 View Post
    It's unseasonably warm here in Boulder -- mid 80s again today, though it is supposed to cool off for one day tomorrow, but only into the 70s.
    It is wildly warm here in Boulder! Still waiting for fall...

Welcome, from another newbie.

N'Wester in the summer -- Colorado in the fall/winter/early spring. Great weather again today and the aspens are turning!

Hi Katja, yes -- still Very Warm Here, but you know that. We went to Estes today and it is absolutely beautiful. Perfect Aspen viewing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast