Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Primal Journal -- Starting at Age 60 -- dkd2001 page 4

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Shoes arrived last night. They ALL fit and have good ground contact. The jazz "sneakers" have the least contact, and do have a slightly thicker sole, but that may well work in their favor outdoors, especially in poor weather.

The classic ballet slippers are okay, and will probably work for times I want dressier footwear. They are a bit gap-y in the sides -- the elastic needs to be way pulled in due to my very narrow feet. They both (Capezio and Balera) have an elastic to hold the shoe on, which detracts a bit from a more formal look.

The Balera Acro and the Capezio CEM1 were very similar. They look more like a slip-on full shoe, with an elastic insert in the top for fit. Look more like regular shoes. Both have rubberized inserts front and back of soles for grip and otherwise fitter suede soles. Both very much like going barefoot.

I bought a tan pair with laces -- jazz, tan, split sole by Bloch -- that should go outdoors pretty easily, as well. A thin sole front and back plus plain leather in the arch. I have to crank the laces closed due to my narrow feet, but they look like street shoes. I'll be wearing them to my volunteer day at the aquarium on Monday for an all morning test. (I've been wearing my Vibrum 5-Toes there, and so far no one has told me I can't wear them, but they have rather strict shoe policies -- part of the uniform and all.) I bought these 1/2 size down from my street shoe.

The other shoes I followed the web site's sizing instructions and fit is okay with all. Capezio ballet slippers might be better 1/2 size smaller, but they don't come in 1/2 sizes. The elastic around the top of the shoe is where the "finer" sizing takes place.

Meanwhile, I've been reading a holistic dentistry book which has some diets for remineralizing teeth. Winston Price stuff, mostly. But these diets recommend raw dairy daily -- and I've been having pressure sensitive teeth. My dentist gave me fluoride rinse which has been helping, but I feel like I'm poisoning myself every night and it won't actually strengthen my teeth. So as soon as I locate a good raw milk source, I'll be trying the tooth remineralization/gum healing diet. Lots of raw milk and dairy, bone broth and meat. A little veg, but most of carbs from dairy. I'm hoping to see results in 6-8 weeks, when I return to the dentist in January. I'll not be doing leptin reset, per se, during this time, but I will be eating no more than three meals a day with no snacking, starting with a large, protein-heavy breakfast.

I'm frustrated that I'm not at all sure what is happening, leptin-wise. What hasn't happened, I haven't lost any weight. Not gained, either, which is quite positive. In that area, I'm just continuing to plug along. I love the Primal Diet and feel quite happy doing it. I'm pretty much 100% compliant. No grains. No legumes. Probably too much chocolate (I eat about 1/2 bar of Endangered Species Extra Dark -- 88% -- every day lately. So, very little sugar, but maybe some anti-nutrients from the cocoa.) Today is LHT day.

Monday morning I did a 3X HIIT with 20 sec all-out sprint intervals and 100 sec rest -- my heart rate hit max on the third round. Until I get the rounds higher, I'll be trying that twice a week and keeping an eye on how well my HR reacts to the sprints.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

I wore the Capezio shoe/jazz slippers yesterday. Very comfortable, very minimal, a bit on the chilly side but warmer than barefoot.

Still doing fine with food. Steak for breakfast, some nuts for snack, red wine and pastured pork for dinner, with carrots, celery, a bit of potato and arrowroot thickened gravy. Did about 15 minutes on the rebounder. I've added some new supplements -- Blue Ice cod liver oil and butter oil, Skate liver oil, some super-pro-biotics and yeast. I hope to soon add in raw dairy, but I couldn't find the farm today and will have to re-try looking for it again Sunday or Monday. I feel silly -- but I relied on Google Maps and they were wrong. That has happened to me a few times now, especially in rural areas.

Hah! It's been about seven weeks since I've last checked in here. A few reports:

Survived the holidays with no weight gain. That included two trips with lots of good food (New Orleans and California). I did finally see my doctor and got reports on all the blood work/urinalysis I had done. I did a nutri-eval test among others -- it looks at where you are missing/low on inputs to various important cell cycles. So I found out several things:

I still don't digest protein worth a darn -- so I'm now studiously adding betain HCl to every meal, plus an herbal grape seed extract which is supposed to help with insulin sensitivity. I've also added a protein shake daily -- usually raw milk or yogurt with whey protein -- to provide better accessible protein to my body. I take one or two probiotic caps a day -- those I vary the brand and what strains they carry. I've also upped my bi-est to try to balance my hormones better -- lower the estrones, the ones you don't really want. Also added some hormonal precursors to the mix -- pregnenalone and 7-keto DHEA. I'm also working to LOWER my vit. D! It was up around 130, so I'm taking much less supplement to get it down to about 70. I'm guessing that should take a few months, since our bodies sequester D for the winter months. We'll see.

The most frustrating -- my blood glucose is higher than either I or my doctor would like. Since I keep a pretty strict very low carb diet it doesn't get very high, but it doesn't get as low as I'd like. My fasting glucose (12 hour fast) has come up anywhere from 90 to 114! I don't test that often, but I have a glucose meter in the house (from my days as mom to a diabetic cat) so I decided to see what kind of readings I was getting. I was quite shocked by the over 100 readings on many mornings. That is falling into the "be worried about Type ll diabetes developing" area. On the good side, since I watch what I eat, my glucose doesn't hit much above 120, even a couple of hours after eating. I don't test consistently, like a diabetic needs to, but I've got enough data to know that Very Low Carb seems to be the way for me to go.

So food wise I don't do any grains or legumes. Veg is mostly lettuce, peppers, carrots, asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower, and sweet potato a couple of times a week. I have added raw milk (got a cow share in December) and I'm making yogurt once a week and drinking a glass of raw milk daily -- working on re-mineralizing my teeth. I did about three months of leptin reset, and I certainly don't feel hungry all the time or feel the need to snack anymore. Don't know if my leptin is reset, but my reverse T-3 is under control. We increased my thyroid medication (a natural product with T-3 and T-4) as an additional metabolic tweak.

I think I'll check my glucose for the next week or so upon waking -- and note the number of hours for the fast since the evening before.

Exercise -- I really stopped LHT in mid-December. Plus sprints (I'd been doing some Power 8 sprints on the recumbent bike -- working up to 4 of the desired 8 sprints of 20-30 secs with the remainder of the two minutes to rest.) So -- new year's resolution -- get back to the LHT! I like it. I enjoy it. So I'll do it!

I have been fighting a severe calf cramp for the past two weeks --- lucky for me walking seems to help it the most, so I have a real incentive to walk.

Oh yes -- a quick report on the shoe experiment:

Current frontrunner is the Capezio Jazz "slippers" -- just two small patches of thicker leather and a pretty thin leather sole. It does get wet easily but for dry weather, it can't be beat. It might feel a bit warm in the summer since the shoe covers the entire instep -- I might switch to ballet slippers then. Interestingly enough, I've had several people compliment me on my cool, pretty shoes -- they do look very nice on. Men might also find them useful, as they look a bit like a nice dress slip-on. And you can't beat the price -- about $15. (I ordered the same style in a different brand -- they look pretty much identical tho I haven't test-walked them yet.)

Oh yes -- I forgot to add -- Celebrated my 61st birthday at the end of 2011. And had a great time at the Rose Parade in Pasadena.

Two weeks gone by again. I'm slowly working back into regular exercise -- it is very hard to do it all indoors, and darn near impossible with 50-90 mph winds most days. Yes -- close to 100 mph! Not that unusual on the Boulder end of Denver by the foothills. Our "wind" indicator blew over a few days ago -- a nearly life sized bronze horse. It goes over one to three times a year when the winds hit close to 100. We've had weirder than usual weather -- weekly snows, and for the last few weeks, followed by high winds. Gets rid of the snow, at least.

So -- I'm easing back into LHT and HIIT. Did LHT twice this week and one HIIT. Will do a short HIIT tomorrow (I'm doing 20 - 30 secs at max and about 1 1/2 min slow, rinse, repeat. I do about 3-4, working up to 8 intervals. I quit at max HR -- for me around 165 bpm. I'm also doing some gentle rebounding, but my right calf keeps threatening to cramp up again, so I'm taking that easy. Walking sounds best right now, but the wind! It's just not the same inside.

Weight is stable. Watching SF vs. NY right now. Since the Broncos lost, I don't have much of a dog in the Super Bowl show this year, but I would like to see a good game. We'll see who ends up in the big game.

I took my first water color class last Tuesday. WC is a surprisingly difficult media -- one class and my respect for the art has skyrocketed.

HavMom is offline Junior Member
    Just curious as you look familiar.... did you or do you belong to The American Taekwondo Assn. I am the same age as you, and we may have competed together years ago. Any ties to Indiana? I have been primal since last May. Lost a little over 20 pounds, but seem to have stalled these last couple months even though I am still primal. I enjoy seeing other mature ladies here. Sharon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234