Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal -- Starting at Age 60 -- dkd2001 page 3

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Trying Feldenkrais! A new way of looking at ones body. Literally. You think about all the connections and how they work.

First thing -- and I'm still working on changing my mental paradigm here -- is that the Rib CAGE, the Spinal COLUMN, and the Pelvic GIRDLE -- are all moveable! many bones that move and respond. I have thought of them with such immovable architectural terms for so long, that my mental landscape has made them immovable. Interestingly, you can't raise your arm up in front of your head if your ribs are constrained. I'm learning to feel my ribs, my spine (each part of it) and my hips and how they work together.

Plus, still doing LHT, bouncing/walking and will be adding HIIT next week. Looking forward to going thru the 21 Day Primal Startup.

Still hoping that the weight loss segment of the whole Leptin Reset will kick in. I did hit a new low in weight today (for the last year or so) but since it usually bounces back up the next day, I'm not holding my breath. We'll see how it goes.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Coconut pancakes and me may not be a good thing. Made them this morning and quickly felt like I had eaten a bunch of movie house popcorn on an empty stomach -- which is not good. I'm very sensitive to corn and used to always get a carb/insulin spike whenever I went to the movies (also a craving for red meat -- so my body wasn't totally screwed up!)

So I'm still feeling a bit woozy -- even tho I've had some tuna to help with the spike. My stomach is now a bit rumbly -- a phenom I've had when I've eaten a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil straight. So some of the problem could be the (lots) of coconut oil I cooked the pancakes in, plus the coconut flour. I have a similar reaction, tho not as strong, to almond flour bread/crackers.

I know I'll recover with dinner -- we are having duck and I'm making a basalmic blackberry sauce (a variation on the Crispy Roasted Duck recipe here on MDA.) Meanwhile, I may have to have another high protein snack.

I'm writing all this down, because I need to keep track of any negative reactions I have when I'm eating. That is a good thing for anyone to do, especially when embarking on a new eating style.

Now for an actual whine -- my Costco stopped stocking Kerry Gold Butter! I'm guessing it's for the holidays to make room for other stuff, but still, no good butter for quite awhile. I did find pastured butter at Whole Foods, so I'll be comparing and report on that when I get a chance.

Meanwhile, I'm off to look for the leftover beef in the fridge.

Fully recovered from the coconut pancake debacle. Had duck that evening for dinner and tonight, duck soup made with duck broth. Adding in some celery, carrots, red bell peppers, zuchini and butternut squash. Yum. Should go well with the first big snow storm of the season here in Boulder.

I'm also going to be doing some glucose testing. I have a meter I bought for my cat so I got new batteries and test strips and checked today, mid-afternoon, 5 hours after breakfast. Only 91, but I'm on very low carb most times (bacon and eggs for breakfast, with a square of very dark chocolate.) Now, if I want to keep doing some tests, I'll need to get some more lancets, as well. It should be fun, to see what I react to.

I'm only sorry I didn't get a chance to test on Sunday to see if I was getting an insulin reaction to the pancakes, or just a gut one!

Oh yes -- I did a taste comparison between the Kerry Gold and the Whole Foods Pastured butter -- both are real tasty. The Whole Foods just costs a bit more, but at least I can have good butter during the holidays.

Sprints -- and why they are good for us!

I've been doing some reading on Dr. Mercola's site about exercise. He has developed a program he calls Peak Exercise (see 10 Minutes of Exercise Yields Hour-Long Effects )

The basic idea behind it is we have Three kinds of muscle fiber -- slow twitch (aerobic) fast twitch (work with plyometrics) which are both red muscle. Then there are the Very Fast Twitch -- white muscles -- which are built by short bursts of anerobic exercise -- and which are the ones that increase production of HGH in the body. Now that is a great reason to do sprints!

You know you are in anerobic exercise when you 1) find it relatively hard to breathe after 30 seconds (can't breath and talk), 2) Sweat Profusely by second or third rep (unless thyroid problems interfere with sweating) 3) body temperature rises and 4) lactic acid increases and you feel a "burn".

Mercola recommends 3 min warmup, 30 sec sprints with 90 sec recovery for 8 sets. Start slow -- with one or two sets in the beginning (I know I certainly will). Work up. He uses a recumbent bike (which, of course, mostly exercises the lower body and big leg muscles.) He also recommends an elliptical. Or going outside and running, of course.

He says working up to the higher reps is necessary to get the full benefit.

And much like Primal living -- he also recommends LHT and lighter cardio like walking. But I really liked the explanation for why we sprint.

So I'll be working up to 8 sets of sprints -- starting with one or two.

And be reporting in, of course.

Okay -- no sprints today. But I did make Bacon-Wrapped Scallops. Absolutely delicious!

5 scallops (large) each -- about 6 oz. -- marinated for about 15 min. in olive oil and lemon juice. Wrap in bacon -- slightly pre-cooked so it would crisp sooner -- then wrapped in 1/2 slice bacon and broiled for about 4 min per side until the bacon was crisp. Sorry, so food pics -- ate it all up with several spears of steamed asparagus with butter. Some of the best scallops ever!

Road trip to Colorado Springs tomorrow, now that the snow is over.

Did one sprint today -- 30 seconds all out on my exercise bike. I think that it went okay. I also did some bouncing on the tramp. Fun stuff for me, which is important as play is not a big component of my life. Or, leisure activities -- tend to be things like reading and writing.

I've signed up to do NaNoWriMo -- that is, write a 50000 word novel in the month of November. That's around 1700 words a day. No re-writing, no corrections! I'll be okay as long as I get my fingers on the correct keys, I can usually decipher what I meant despite all my typos.

I'm thinking that I need to set up a spot to type standing up -- for Primal and for my back's sake. I think I can move a box on the table behind my and set the laptop up there. I'll experiment with that today. I'll be going downstairs and starting an art scrapbook, as well. That's a big coffee table book that you gesso each page and then do something with it. Spontaneous art!

Beautiful weather today. 60s, after Wednesdays storm last week and the storm coming up this Wednesday.

Today is my darling husband's birthday -- what he wanted was a turkey dinner. So -- we made the dressing out of butternut squash, pinon nuts, celery, diced chilies and sweet potato. 12 pound bird (allowed to wander free prior to it winding up in our oven -- slathered in pastured-pork lard). Made cranberry sauce with stevia, orange zest, and the juice of the orange plus water. Steamed green beans. Gravy was thickened with arrowroot -- not exactly primal, but it is a treat.

Pumpkin pie coming up -- also sweetened with stevia and with minimal crust (some chopped pecans sprinkled on the bottom of the pie plate. It will be served with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Cooking a big meal in the middle of the week is fun and a bit decadent feeling. Plus we lots of leftovers!

Also did LHT today -- and boy, where have the last 12 days go! I knew I had been slacking, but I honestly did not think it had been 12 days! What did I do last week???? I obviously need to work on a calendar for exercising that works better than the back of my mind.

Plus, I'm planning to write a first draft of a 50,000 word novel this month (see NaNoWriMo) on the web, if you want to know more about that.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Ooh, that all sounds yummy. He must be a turkey addict to want turkey right before T-day =)
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

We do love turkey -- but we usually go to a relative's house for Turkey Day proper, so we tend to make our turkey before Thanksgiving.

It was a fabulous turkey. And we had it again on Thursday. Darling Husband left Friday morning for 9 days of elk hunting. They got wet and cold yesterday, and no elk or deer were harmed by them during the first day of the hunting season.

I'm enjoying a week of my own company -- and that of the three dogs, who get a little clingy when I'm home alone with them.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Did LHT today, plus some bouncing on my rebounder. I'm making appointments like mad for various medical stuff -- routine checkups for the most part. I'm not doing a breast xray this year (skipped the whole thing last year) -- set up to do thermography this year (well actually next year, as they are booked until January.) I'm overdue for my my bone density as well -- the office hasn't deigned to return my phone messages as yet -- much less answer when I call. Oh yeah -- I can't wait for MORE socialized medicine coming up. We'll just have to camp out in the office, I guess (don't laugh, I have friends in Canada who have used that tactic.)

Fun stuff -- made bone broth over the last two days. Used a mix of bison and grass-fed beef -- knuckle and marrow bones. It is heavenly! I've been pulling some off the top for two days now, and is delicious. Also very thick -- I've been diluting it about 4:1 and it is still thick and wonderful. I did not skim the fat off this time -- just mixed it in and ladled it out into freezable portions. I think the added fat gives it a really hearty mouth-feel (and stomach feel!) Today, for the last 8 hours or so, I added a few carrots and celery stalks and about a tsp or two of Herbs de Provence/parsley in a cheesecloth bag for extra flavor. It is yummy.

Had to fight the dogs for dessert. They opened my blueberries on the way home -- so I recovered most of the container and rinsed them many times. Had blueberries and whipped cream for dessert tonight. Leftover baked grey cod in a homemade mayo salad. And, of course, a cup of Bone Broth.

I also ordered SIX pairs of shoes to try. Paid $119 (including shipping) -- how??? I ordered dance shoes. Ballet and jazz shoes. Very little sole. The ballet slippers were from 13-15 dollars a pair. I have very narrow feet, so I ordered some different sizes and different brands. I'll report when they arrive late next week. If they work, they may be the best deal for minimalist footwear out there!

Later!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast