Thread: So I think I have a hernia page

Anthony72 is offline Junior Member

So I think I have a hernia

Shop Now
    Hi all,

While doing squats 2 days ago, I felt a burning sensation in my lower abdomen above my hip bone and below my belly button (sorta). It felt at first like a muscle strain, so I stopped my workout, but I didn't feel any bumps or have further pain. Yesterday, I started having flashes of pain across the area, and I now have a bump that is painful to the touch. I will be going to the doctor tomorrow to find out for certain.

My question is if anyone else has had a hernia, and what the recovery time is for this? I'm going through a hard time right now, and physical activity has been the main outlet for me, and I think I might go bonkers if I'm restricted from working out for a few weeks. If that's the case, any thoughts on what kind of physical activity I can do?

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Topeka, Kansas
    yeah you should definitely go to the doctor!

i dont think you can recover from a hernia on your own, i think you will have to get surgery to fix it but i could be wrong. that bump you feel is your guts hanging out of your abdomen! a friend of mine had one and was out of work for 3 months, his was pretty bad though so maybe you wont be so unlucky.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Tina14 is offline Junior Member
    It is up to mark i like this

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Yes, doctor ASAP. Recovery time for hernias can vary, but you will likely have permanent lifting restrictions as a result. Your heavy squatting days may be over. You can always do alternative exercises such as lunges, step ups, etc.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    San Francisco
    Shop Now
    Yep, go to doctor. If its really a hernia, there is no way to just power through this on your own.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging:

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!