Thread: When to progress page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

When to progress

Hey y'all, so I've been doing all the PBF movements lately, and my goal has been to do 3 sets of 8 on everything, with about a minute of rest in between.

My question is: when do I know it's time to progress? I can do every part of the progression I'm on, but by the end of the 3rd set, I'm pretty much toast.

Should I move up just because I can get through it, or should I be able to breeze through it before I try the next part of the progression?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you could really progress whenever you want. if you're getting through fairly easily, then definitely progress. if you're really working through that last set but still want to make the earlier sets harder, progress and allow yourself a little more rest time.

are you doing your sets back to back, or are you moving through all the exercises for multiple rounds? if it's the latter (supersetting) you will probably be able to hit bigger numbers just because certain muscles will have more rest time while your working others. in other words, your arms get to rest up for the next set while you're doing squats. push ups, squats, pull ups, planks, shoulder press/htpu seems to be a good order of exercises for me.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    the PBF shows you when you need to progress on each exercise. its basically when you can do 2 sets of the stated amount of reps in the manual. not sure where you are at but for instance on pushups if you can do 2 sets of 50 knee push ups you would then progress to incline push ups. when you can do 2 sets of 50 incline push ups you move on to regular full push ups and so on
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist