Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting before physical exam page

supersellen is offline Senior Member

Fasting before physical exam

Primal Fuel
    It is typically recommended that you fast 12 hours before a physical exam, and I was curious about whether or not it is ok to exceed that by fasting over 24 hours before an exam where bloodwork, etc. is involved. I have an upcoming exam for life insurance.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I would ask the life insurance reps what they would recommend. I've never heard of fasting before an exam, but that's just me.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

The life insurance reps really just have a list of requirements and are basically only qualified to do the basics like a finger prick and pick up your urine sample and take your blood pressure, so I don't think they are well versed in the effects of a more extensive fast pre-exam.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    if they check your cholesterol it could affect it as well as your blood sugar levels. Other than that though they aren't very thorough with physicals.
    ad astra per aspera

croí is offline Senior Member
    I just had a physical blood test done here at work for our yearly insurance enrollment. They said to fast for at least 9 hours. I was on hour 36 by the time I went in for the test. My blood pressure, blood sugar, BMI, and two of my cholesterols made it. They said I prolly wouldn't make the LDL because of the high protein diet that I eat.

onewomanband is offline Member
    I don't know the answer to your question, but if it were me, I would not do anything unusual before the test. Insurance underwriters don't like anything out of the ordinary, and once they have made an underwriting decision based on your test results, good luck getting it changed.

I had trouble getting long term disability insurance. Not because of my health, but because the underwriters had trouble figuring out how to insure a freelance technical writer/editor who works at home. They kept calling my agent with questions about what that meant. They were reluctant to write a policy because apparently they didn't have actuarial figures for my occupation. My agent went to bat for me and they finally got it done, but it took a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post
    I just had a physical blood test done here at work for our yearly insurance enrollment. They said to fast for at least 9 hours. I was on hour 36 by the time I went in for the test. My blood pressure, blood sugar, BMI, and two of my cholesterols made it. They said I prolly wouldn't make the LDL because of the high protein diet that I eat.
    I am concerned about my cholesterol also since it probably does not meet CW standards, but I have never had it tested.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Nice recipes... some new things to try out, thanks.

Have you read Griff's Cholesterol primer
    Last edited by springnr; 09-12-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: bad url

Quote Originally Posted by springnr View Post
    Nice recipes... some new things to try out, thanks.

Have you read Griff's Cholesterol primer
    I have, it is a good read, but only makes the point that what are likely fine figures may not appear so to an insurance underwriter.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    I have, it is a good read, but only makes the point that what are likely fine figures may not appear so to an insurance underwriter.
    Correct. And really, in CW's world, you'll never get your cholesterol down to the correct number that they want unless you start eating less protein.. But then you'll be hungry all the freakin time and then will result to eating like crap. Really, I would rather the insurance company say I'm at a heart attack risk, and in reality, I'm probably healthier than any person taking my blood work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast