Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (ryanm) page

ryanm is offline Member

Primal Journal (ryanm)

Primal Fuel
    Today is the day I finally jump in. I have been reading this site for the past year and now I am jumping in. I am a runner which I know isn't exactly primal but I have two goals left to accomplish and then I plan to change my focus toward overall fitness as opposed to just running strength.

ryanm is offline Member
    I feel that yesterday was a pretty good start but some things could be better.
    b: 2 eggs, 2 tblsp salsa (omelette style) all on an english muffin for portability. (It was the last english muffin so those are out now).
    l: Some left over flank steak and green beans followed later by a bag of trail mix from the vending machine
    s: vanilla whey isolate protein powder shake (Amplify XL) It is pretty tasty.
    d: four chicken thighs, smoked from Whole Foods, and an apple

I drink water throughout the day and yesterday I had three cups of coffee.

I snuck in 5 pullups yesterday. That is all I can manage in one set and the fifth one almost doesn't count.

That isn't a lot of food but I am working on obtaining more quality stuff to replace some of the junk and cheat food I used to eat. Last night I went to the grocery store and got plenty of stuff to start making some meals and tonight I plan to cook a lot. The plan is to get some meals ready while I transition to better foods.
    Last edited by ryanm; 09-13-2011 at 06:18 AM.

ryanm is offline Member
    Yesterday was pretty good. I was tired after lunch but that was mostly because I ran and then didn't eat much. I am still working on getting better lunches.
    b: 2 eggs, 3 pieces of bacon - this was pretty filling and kept me satisfied until lunch
    l: Lean Cuisine frozen meatloaf meal and an apple - I have been eating these things for a couple of years now (not meatloaf only) they are good for portion control but that is about it. I was still hungry and then tired.
    s: vanilla whey isolate protein powder shake
    d: 1 banana, 1 porkchop and some sauted brussels sprouts (this recipe is from the Primal Quick Meals Cookbook - I recommend it)

I also made the blueberry, coconut, seed balls last night and those are tasty, I only had a couple last night.

I ran 6.2 miles yesterday at a very slow pace (for me). I usually do this run at about a 7 min/mile pace but yesterday I did my MAF test (from Dr. Maffetone's book). My max heart rate according to him is 155 but I have been off my training lately so I did almost the full second half closer to 160. I will have to retry in a couple of weeks.

I had two cups of coffee yesterday.

ryanm is offline Member
    Yesterday again was ok. I felt really tired after lunch. I will have to sort out whether that is due to running, poor lunch or lack of sleep.
    b: 2 eggs, 3 pieces of bacon, 1 banana
    l: Lean Cuisine frozen tortilla crusted fish - This is actually my favorite of their meals, I will have to find a primal replacement - and an apple.
    d: 1 porkchop and some sauted brussels sprouts. I also had a couple of blueberry coconut seed balls.

I ran just under 2 miles yesterday. It was my speed work day which right now consists of 4 repeats of jog 2 minutes, sprint 1 minute. In a couple of weeks this will change to 6 repeats.

I had three cups of coffee yesterday.

I have lost almost a half-pound a day this week, which is not my goal. I would rather gain muscle so I suppose that I need to start "lifting heavy things".

ryanm is offline Member
    I thought yesterday would be as far as diet goes but it wasn't what I planned. It probably wasn't too bad though.

l: TGIFriday's Sizzlin' Chicken and cheese with vegetable medley - Thankfully the cheese was melted under the chicken instead of all on top so I didn't have to eat as much.
    d: pork sausage, cajun hot sausage, a spicy hamburger patty, some fried fish pieces and two fried chicken wing drummies. Dinner was free last night and I should have skipped the fried stuff. I also had two blueberry, coconut seed balls.

I did not run yesterday. I usually do not run on days that start with T. I was not as sleepy yesterday afternoon as I have been the rest of the week. I will gauge that against today when I run again and eat a non-frozen lunch.

I had only one cup of coffee yesterday.

Last night before I went to bed I knew that I had gained weight. I felt more full even though it had been a couple of hours since I had eaten. I did not weigh myself until this morning. I am not bothered by it as I know it is only temporary but I thought I would write it down since I just read the post about listening to your body.

ryanm is offline Member
    Yesterday was pretty good.

b: 2 eggs, 3 pieces of bacon
    l: pork chop, sauted brussels sprouts, english peas
    s: vanilla whey isolate protein shake
    d: flank steak, cauliflower rice, egg, spinach, mushrooms and carrots

I had two cups of coffee.

I ran 3.1 miles before lunch and after lunch I crashed hard. I was falling asleep at work. I had hoped the peas would help get me back up, but I might need to try eating them before I run.

ryanm is offline Member
    Today started out rough. I woke up and went for an 8 mile run. At mile 7 I was completely out of energy. I walked 0.25 miles and then finished the last 3/4 at a pace a little slower than I had run the first 7. When I finished I ate a banana and that helped me recover some.

b: 2 eggs, 1 piece of flank steak, 1 sweet potato
    l: romaine, arugala sprouts, cucumber, mushroom, carrots balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing
    s: macadamia nuts
    d: flank steak and steamed brocolli
    s: blueberry, coconut and nut balls

I had one cup of coffee today.

I need to find a way to get more energy if I am going to keep up running on this diet.

I did an 8 mile run last Saturday and I tweaked my left knee. I rested it Sunday and Monday. Today after breakfast I was mowing the lawn and my knee started hurting again, so I stopped and rested for about an hour then decided not to do anything strenuous for the rest of the day.

ryanm is offline Member
    Yesterday was not great. I was hungry all day.

b: 2 eggs, 3.5 pieces of bacon, 1 banana
    l: romaine, arugala sprouts, mushroom, carrots and balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing
    s: vanilla whey isolate protein shake, apple, macadamia nuts, pistachios
    d: pot roast with carrots and red potatoes
    s: blueberry coconut nut ball, leftover shredded coconut

About an hour after breakfast I finished mowing the lawn and by the time I was done with that I was wiped out. I know my lunch was pretty light. I need to stock up on some more whole food protein or something so that I can have it ready to go when I need it quick and easy. After lunch I went to a Broadway show with my wife and when that was over I was really hungry. When we got home we started the roast and I started munching this and that.

ryanm is offline Member
    Yesterday was ok. I really need to do something to get these days to "Great". I think more sleep might be one key and some increased carbs to help with the running.

b: 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon
    s: banana
    l: Frozen meal, salisbury steak w/ mac and cheese (I really need to work on my lunches) 1 apple
    s: vanilla whey isolate protein shake
    d: pot roast w/ potatoes and carrots
    s: blueberry coconut nut balls

I usually eat my banana with breakfast, but this day I held off until 9:30 hoping to delay the sugar spike until right around my run at 11. Maybe my timing was off or maybe that technique doesn't work but I couldn't finish my run and I was crashing after lunch. I went for a 10K run and after 5 miles I had to stop. I walked for 0.2 miles and then finished the last mile at pace. It was hard and my heart rate was up higher than it usually is for these runs. I am going to try having a sweet potato for supper tonight and see if that helps for tomorrow.

I think I had one cup of coffee yesterday. Also, I lost one percent of body fat according to my electronic bathroom scale. Since this is the first reading I take it with a grain of salt, but I have been losing weight too so it could be "right".

ryanm is offline Member
    Yesterday again was ok.

s: macadamia nuts
    l: Frozen meal, orange chicken in rice, 1 apple
    s: macadamia nuts, vanilla whey isolate protein shake
    d: pot roast and salad
    s: blueberry coconut nut ball

Nothing special about yesterday. I was only a little tired after lunch, but I was really tired in the morning. I brought the big bag of macadamia nuts to work with me and so they were easy to snack on all day. I think that is probably a habit I don't want to start, but a small snack bag would probably be ok.

I had two cups of coffee yesterday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast