Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flu shot during pregnancy page

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member

Flu shot during pregnancy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My doctor recommends the flu shot during pregnancy and since I'm in PA school, it is basically required unless I want to wear a surgical mask all day. I do have access to the thimerosal-free version. I'm just scared because I'm pregnant. Anyone get it while pregnant?
    Last edited by ShannonPA-S; 09-12-2011 at 05:55 AM.

KatyNC is offline Senior Member
    I work in Labor and Delivery and a lot of our patients get it during pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by KatyNC View Post
    I work in Labor and Delivery and a lot of our patients get it during pregnancy.
    Thanks!

No problem! Congratulations and good luck!

I am still scared, I have to admit. I don't know why. I think it's because flu shots at one point weren't really given to pregnant women. Then they were only recommended in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Now the authorities say they're fine (even the thimerosal-containing one) at any point during pregnancy. They are category C in pregnancy from what I'm aware. Category C is "use with caution if benefits outweigh risks. Animal studies show risk and human studies not available or neither animal nor human studies done." In this case, I think it's because it hasn't been tested on pregnant women. So I'm just scared.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Another thread w/ opinions on the topic in case you're interested: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread18095.html
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

I understand your hesitation, just to give you another opinion, I work at a hospital and they "strongly suggest" getting a flu shot. I have never had one. I don't really want any unnecessary vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Another thread w/ opinions on the topic in case you're interested: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread18095.html
    Thanks! I somehow missed that when I searched. It looks like most here are against it, but some are definitely for it.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    I work at a hospital and they "strongly suggest" getting a flu shot. I have never had one. I don't really want any unnecessary vaccination.
    Well, get ready to be forced to have one or lose your job...many health care systems have already forced this on their employees and the one I work for is following suit this fall--I have to have a flu shot by December 31 or I am considered to have "voluntarily left the employment of ABC Health Care." I can't tell you how strongly I feel about this, especially as I am a medical transcriptionist and have ZERO patient contact--I work out of my HOME, for God's sake.

Sorry for the hijack, but this is a very sore point and it doesn't seem that many folks see any problem w/mandating vaccines or your job....as far as I can see in my internet research, it has not been successfully contested anywhere yet (other than in cases of allergy or religious opposition--but for us, we have to extensively document these things, I can't just say "oh, my religion prohibits it.").

I understand your hesitation, just to give you another opinion, I work at a hospital and they "strongly suggest" getting a flu shot. I have never had one. I don't really want any unnecessary vaccination.
    Well, all the hospitals around here (Detroit area) are REQUIRING it or we have to wear a surgical mask. Some hospitals are making it conditions of employment without the option to wear a mask. I feel scared about that.

I also would like to wait until 2nd trimester if I do it, but one of the nurses told me the preservative-free version will go quickly and might not be available. So I'm sort of stuck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast