Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone (else) have to face constant "temptation"? Suggestions? page

bodhimama is offline Member

Anyone (else) have to face constant "temptation"? Suggestions?

So, I've been primal in spirit for quite a while, but still had too much alcohol and grains in my diet. I'm newly recommitting to not just 80/20, but 95/5 for a while, because 80/20 quickly becomes 50/50 in my world, and also because I have some health tendencies toward prediabetes and blood sugar issues, and a serious gluten sensitivity, so taken a stricter approach seems to work best for me.

The problem is that my son has some special medical needs, which I won't get into in detail here, but you'll have to trust me on this one. Although I would love him to eat more primal, he has *very* high calorie needs combined with extreme food texture and taste issues. For his health -- and by that I mean his short-term survival and not having to have a G-tube put in -- we allow him some definite primal no-nos. Mostly potato chips, tortilla chips, pizza and cookies. (He eats mostly meat and fat for meals but it's hard to get enough of it into him to meet his energy needs.)

So I am constantly opening bags of chips and having them literally laying around the house. I wish it didn't tempt me so badly but it does! Salty/crunchy is my downfall. In the past 2 days I have eaten 2 small bags of the avocado oil chips in hopes of getting HIM to eat them. Ha. He wouldn't touch them because they're new, so I ate them instead. Sigh.

Whether you work at a bakery, or have some variation on my situation, like an unsupportive spouse or kids who haven't yet made the transition, how do you handle being around high-carb foods without indulging? I had been doing really well with amino acid supplementation to curb cravings, but I'm having a hard time kicking the "handful here and there isn't gonna hurt" mentality. Not that I have to be perfect, but I do want to get into ketosis and lose some bodyfat and for me, a handful a day of some kind of grains or potato puts the brakes on that process.

Would love to hear some strategies and ideas! And yes, the eventual goal is to get my son fully primal, but it's a long, slow road. I don't want to get into a debate about what he should/shouldn't be eating. Just looking for ideas for *me* staying primal while feeding him carby stuff. Thanks!

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    My downfall is Diet Pepsi Max. You can tell me how poisonous it is, how it stains your teeth, calculate the amount of money I've wasted on it, etc. So I'm doing the 30 day challenge. Then when my brain tries to bargain with me (you should do the official challenge, that doesn't start til the 12th) I can just tell myself "NOT UNTIL OCTOBER". There's just no bargaining with something that concrete (albeit arbitrary). I'm hoping the cravings will just go away and I'll get used to not drinking it.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I live primal amongst family members that don't. There is tempting food in the pantry all the time, and I find that if I can keep it in some kind of opaque container with a lid, it's easier to ignore it. But when it's out... and I have to walk past it multiple times in an evening, yeah, hard to resist.

Just last Friday my youngest daughter had a birthday party. We got pizza takeout and I made nasty funfetti cupcakes from a mix and frosted them with homemade butter frosting. I'm very good at making frosting. But to make frosting right, you have to taste it. Yeah, you can see what's coming... After an evening of smelling/seeing/watching other people eat pizza and cupcakes I broke down and had one of each. The next day I was cursing myself for indulging in stuff that makes me feel awful, and not even my FAVORITE stuff. Why does this happen?

I'm most vulnerable to temptation when:

* I'm lonely, bored, anxious, or otherwise emotionally out of whack.
    * Off limits "food" is out in the open and I have no legal alternatives to fall back on for snack attacks.
    * When I am not reading my "primal bible" of the week: printed materials that help motivate me to keep doing what I know is best for me.

The last one seems to be a real buffer for living in the real world full of SAD foods. When I am reading something like PB, Paleo Solution, Good Calories Bad Calories, Why We Get Fat, etc., the nasty stuff doesn't phase me. When I'm not indoctrinating myself with Primal principles, it's all too easy to forget how BAD wheat is for me and to rationalize "well maybe I can get away with it this time...". Yeah, that never happens.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by bokbadok View Post
    Yes, I live primal amongst family members that don't. There is tempting food in the pantry all the time, and I find that if I can keep it in some kind of opaque container with a lid, it's easier to ignore it. But when it's out... and I have to walk past it multiple times in an evening, yeah, hard to resist.

Just last Friday my youngest daughter had a birthday party. We got pizza takeout and I made nasty funfetti cupcakes from a mix and frosted them with homemade butter frosting. I'm very good at making frosting. But to make frosting right, you have to taste it. Yeah, you can see what's coming... After an evening of smelling/seeing/watching other people eat pizza and cupcakes I broke down and had one of each. The next day I was cursing myself for indulging in stuff that makes me feel awful, and not even my FAVORITE stuff. Why does this happen?

I'm most vulnerable to temptation when:

* I'm lonely, bored, anxious, or otherwise emotionally out of whack.
    * Off limits "food" is out in the open and I have no legal alternatives to fall back on for snack attacks.
    * When I am not reading my "primal bible" of the week: printed materials that help motivate me to keep doing what I know is best for me.

The last one seems to be a real buffer for living in the real world full of SAD foods. When I am reading something like PB, Paleo Solution, Good Calories Bad Calories, Why We Get Fat, etc., the nasty stuff doesn't phase me. When I'm not indoctrinating myself with Primal principles, it's all too easy to forget how BAD wheat is for me and to rationalize "well maybe I can get away with it this time...". Yeah, that never happens.
    Thanks - that makes sense and I can really, really relate to your experience. I too am leaning on reading something constantly in order to remind myself WHY it's so bad to eat the way I used to eat. I often don't feel immediately awful (except from wheat) but this summer I really let alcohol creep in daily and I noticed a) I felt like shit every morning and felt noticeably better once I drank the next day, what a vicious cycle and b) I gained weight like crazy oh and c) once I drank I didn't give a shit what I ate which probably contributed to both a) and b).

I actually have to open the bag of chips and encourage HIM to eat it. And often he's having a meltdown at that time so I am super anxious. I'm coming to all sorts of realizations lately about how I got where I was (borderline obese) and why I was relying on alcohol to cope with anxiety and depression. Not making excuses, but having compassion for myself.

The thing is, when I read some of the harder-core stuff like Primal Body, Primal Mind or Taubes, about how terrible it is to eat grains and carbs etc, I just get more wrapped up about getting him (and to a lesser extent, my dd and dh, who mostly eat primal plus some rice, and beer for dh and sugary treats for dd, but not horrible in quantity/frequency) off all the crap and eating healthy. So that just fuels the anxiety...I feel like I need to give up on changing their diets and just focus on me but I worry about my kids' long-term health. My extended family genetics suck, with type 2 and lots of LDLs all over the place, not to mention digestive issues, autoimmune issues, autism, anxiety, depression, bipolar, and heart disease.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Alchohol almost always does me in (foodwise) and actually doesn't fix my anxiety. At first it may seem to help as it kicks in, but later, the anxiety comes on horribly. I just say none at all most of the time and don't even try to deal with the aftermath. Have you found it to really help or solve any of your problems?

I look at the snacks and other bad foods as poison and don't bring them into the house. Isn't there a healthier alternative for your son? You say you have to convince him to eat chips, etc, is there something alse he likes? Can you make some yummy primal treats for him? While they may be a bit high in sugar, they also have some nutritional value to them. Are grains in his diet? If so, do you really think that they are healping him nutrition wise? Why not replace baked goods w/ nut flour varieties. Maybe if you focus on feeding him healthy, whole foods, you can relieve some of your stress. Focus on the good you do each day and ignore the bad stuff. Your stress hormones must be quite high which will cause you to binge as well. Eat a large, high protein breakfast, lunch and dinner and don't allow snacking between. If you must have something, tell yourself that you can have it after your next meal ... if you still are craving it. Focus on ways to set yourself up for success. Read the forums every day. Keep this thread going and ask for support. Your answers are out there - you just need to find them!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You could try putting his food in a certain place and yours in another. Then, you avoid the junk food area the way I avoid the alcohol aisle at the grocery store and are never even strongly tempted.

I work in a HOSPITAL full of OBESE NURSES. I take comfort in turning down offers of donuts and cookies, and usually take the window to toss in " Healthy, saturated animal fat is good for us, sugar and grains are not" just to get their wheels turning. It's a place where health should be sought, and instead these so-called professional people blatantly shun it. I've always taken sadistic pride in going against the grain, so when it's such a fun and righteous splash, I can't resist. And, yes, when the little brown spongy circles of death meet my eyes, the first thoughts that come to me are the hot flash, the instant boils that will appear on my face, and the water weight I'll carry for days. And I'm a guy. I can't imagine the battle women face around their fat friends constantly trying to drag them down into the gluttony.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Alchohol almost always does me in (foodwise) and actually doesn't fix my anxiety. At first it may seem to help as it kicks in, but later, the anxiety comes on horribly. I just say none at all most of the time and don't even try to deal with the aftermath. Have you found it to really help or solve any of your problems?
    No, it only helps in the moment. That's why I'm giving it up.

I look at the snacks and other bad foods as poison and don't bring them into the house. Isn't there a healthier alternative for your son? You say you have to convince him to eat chips, etc, is there something alse he likes? Can you make some yummy primal treats for him? While they may be a bit high in sugar, they also have some nutritional value to them. Are grains in his diet? If so, do you really think that they are healping him nutrition wise? Why not replace baked goods w/ nut flour varieties. Maybe if you focus on feeding him healthy, whole foods, you can relieve some of your stress.
    Thanks. I do appreciate the suggestions. My son has autism and one of the ways he is most rigid is in his food preferences. It took me weeks to get him to eat Kettle chips instead of Lay's. On top of that we live in a very rural area where I have to actually order Kettle chips by the case which is how we got on the Lay's in the first place. I had to put the Kettle chips into the Lay's bag and then slowly increase the amount until he was eating mostly Kettle, then I could switch the bag and he'd eat the Kettle chips.

He will not touch anything I make. He likes milkshakes as long as they are from a fast food place (we don't get these very often at all, maybe once a month when we happen to be near a McD's or something - we live 45 min from one) and I have tried starting with a very chocolately milkshake in the Vitamix thinking I could work backward to healthier, but he will take 2 sips and be done.

I could go on. The point is, his food issues are severe and intractable and I have battled with them for the 11 years he has been alive. It's really, really hard.

He also has cystic fibrosis which is why his calorie needs are so high. You should have seen me rejoice when he started taking omega-3 mixed with some of his other meds! It is amazing. I have actually found myself thinking that if he *did* have a G-tube life would be easier because I could give him nutrition bypassing his mouth. He has the same attitude toward supplements as food, but he has become more flexible with them now. I have done things like added a supplement, only to have that trigger complete rejection of his digestive enzymes - he has *severe* fat malabsorption issues from the CF so he will crap 15 times a day and drop weight alarmingly if he doesn't take them. It was a stressful few weeks.

And yes, my cortisol is probably sky high. He is loud - he vocally stims a LOT. He throws laundry all over my house to make "nests" that soothe him. He jumps up and down on the floor - HARD. He rips all the covers off the bed 10 times a day. He flushes all kinds of random shit he finds in the bathroom down the toilet (we have uninstalled it and cleaned it out four times in the past four months).

He doesn't eat much in the way of grains. Lately he has taken to liking tortilla chips. I tried to do the Specific Carbohydrate Diet with him when he was a year old and I was still nursing him (it was mostly me eating it because he was mostly bf'ing). I had him off gluten and casein from age 3 to age 6. He is still mostly gluten and dairy free. He eats oatmeal for breakfast and gluten-free bagels - sometimes. Mostly he eats chicken, beef, pork and potato chips. He will eat bananas and apples sometimes. He was eating pizza for a while (and we had even successfully switched him to a GF crust because I think that's the lesser of 2 evils) but now he won't eat pizza. We cook his food in coconut oil or ghee. He drinks a lot of apple juice and spits out water like it is poison. Compared to most autistic kids I've met his diet is quite clean (ie he doesn't live on Tyson chicken nuggets - btw yes we buy him healthy meat, we actually raise pastured chickens ourselves).

I wish it were as simple as "cooking him yummy nut flour treats." But it just isn't. And I promised myself I wouldn't get into it on the thread b/c I consider this quite a public venue, and I didn't want it to turn into "how about try to feed him X or Y," but I think it's hard for people to imagine what my life is like on a day to day basis and why I can't just switch my kids' diet. If I were to take away the chips, we'd end up with a G-tube within 3 months. When he was off gluten and casein they were threatening G-tube and noted in his chart that we had put dietary restrictions on him. I made them test him for celiac and they scoped him while he was under for anesthesia. He is clear but he does have a gene variant present in 5% of celiacs (that is also associated with autoimmune issues).

Focus on the good you do each day and ignore the bad stuff. Your stress hormones must be quite high which will cause you to binge as well. Eat a large, high protein breakfast, lunch and dinner and don't allow snacking between. If you must have something, tell yourself that you can have it after your next meal ... if you still are craving it. Focus on ways to set yourself up for success. Read the forums every day. Keep this thread going and ask for support. Your answers are out there - you just need to find them!
    Thanks. Reading here is helping me a ton. I am thinking about starting a journal here now that I have gotten brave enough to actually start a thread. That might help. I am following what you suggest already - 3 meals, high in protein (although due to my blood sugar issues, thinking about going more moderate in protein and higher in good fats), no snacking. The time that gets me is 2-5pm. I've been on the battling sugar addiction threads. Amino acid supplementation is helping me, as I think low serotonin and dopamine are contributing to both alcohol and starch/sugar cravings. I might just have to hang on a bit longer. I felt like the first week on AA supps I didn't crave anything at all, and then 2 days ago it kicked back in. It's frustrating and hard. I am trying to go easier on myself when I do slip up but as you can imagine from what I've posted, I'm a bit of a type A and it's tough for me to do things halfway. Plus, my body is incredibly stubborn and I have had a very hard time losing any weight with an 80/20 primal diet. And I definitely need to lose 10-20 lb (I am currently 5'5" and 153, and have been down to 135 and know that around 140 is ideal for me, maybe higher if I build some muscle mass, but I definitely have 10-15 lb of body fat to lose).

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    You could try putting his food in a certain place and yours in another. Then, you avoid the junk food area the way I avoid the alcohol aisle at the grocery store and are never even strongly tempted.
    That's a good idea. Will think on how I can do that. Our house is tiny and I tend to leave the chips out for him over the course of the afternoon because he's a grazer. I could try to avoid that area while they're out. And maybe have a "ds" section of my cabinet/pantry.

I work in a HOSPITAL full of OBESE NURSES. I take comfort in turning down offers of donuts and cookies, and usually take the window to toss in " Healthy, saturated animal fat is good for us, sugar and grains are not" just to get their wheels turning. It's a place where health should be sought, and instead these so-called professional people blatantly shun it. I've always taken sadistic pride in going against the grain, so when it's such a fun and righteous splash, I can't resist. And, yes, when the little brown spongy circles of death meet my eyes, the first thoughts that come to me are the hot flash, the instant boils that will appear on my face, and the water weight I'll carry for days. And I'm a guy. I can't imagine the battle women face around their fat friends constantly trying to drag them down into the gluttony.
    Wow. I can imagine what that might be like! I'm weird - no problem turning down donuts or cookies. It's potato chips and tortilla chips that get me. Oh and when my daughter makes amazing homemade chocolate chip cookies, I do sometimes succumb. But I have started to feel so sick after that much sugar that it's getting easier. The chips don't have the same immediate "ow" factor with my belly so it's easier to indulge.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    I do well all week and then fall apart on the weekends.. I spend the weekends at my boyfriend's house for the most part and while I'm trying to stock some healthy things at his place - it's hard to buy groceries for two places you know? And we go out with friends etc. I'm focusing on what I'm doing right during the week and trying to implement some better strategies for the weekends. Like..... I cook breakfast instead of going out.... etc. Slowly but surely I'm getting there. Adjusting all the time....

Small baby steps. Adjust adjust adjust.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I stirred some berries into greek yogurt and am freezing them as we speak just in case I feel like I can't resist the ice cream urge. Perhaps making your own healthy chips?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just wanted to pipe in: while it's not the same, my little brother has Down Syndrome. He is a picky eater like most DS kids are. My parents are not on the PB bandwagon, so I get to watch him eat a heavy-carb AND heavy-protein diet, supplemented with lots of SAD crap (ketchup...SO MUCH KETCHUP). If I can get them eating primal, I can imagine they could start shifting him over and it might help a lot with his weight issues (DS people are inclined to be overweight, apparently, but I'm sure his copious chicken nuggets don't help). He does NOT eat vegetables unless they're in fried rice. It's tough, but I can only begin to imagine what you must go through. I understand a little how frustrated my parents are in trying to get him to try new things, but it's a lot of work for just some fried seafood.

I applaud your efforts to seek a more healthy way to care for your son. Take care of yourself, too!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast