Thread: 3 weeks and Frustrated: Is it better to look good or feel good? page

balanced is offline Member

3 weeks and Frustrated: Is it better to look good or feel good?

Been eating fairly clean for about 9 months then was introduced to MDA and The Primal Blueprint. After reading Marks book several weeks ago I cut out grains entirely, no more milk (except for some cheese and greek yogurt), little fruit, no processed food or sugar at all.....meals consist mainly of salmon and berries or veggie omelet for bfast; big salad with veggies and meat for lunch; grilled veggies and meat for dinner and snacks of nuts, hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, coconut water etc...I also started cooking with butter and coconut oil. Being a self proclaimed exercise addict I needed to start cutting back on my workouts according to the Primal Blueprint. Due to an overuse injury I stopped running this summer and began spending more time in the weight room and also started rock climbing for fun. I am a yoga and pilates instructor so I spend lots of time at the gym teaching and personal training. It is very hard balancing your own workouts with a teaching and personal training schedule and not experiencing major burn out. I also have three young kids so I need to have a consistent level of energy, a stable mood and patience to get through each day.
    SO, herein lies my frustration.....I eat like a caveman, I spend less time working out, I have more consistent energy than ever, I feel stronger than ever, my injury is healed, but I have GAINED weight!! I rarely step on a scale but use my clothes to assess my weight gain/loss. All of my clothes have gotten tighter.....my skinny jeans are way too skinny for me now! Is it better to look good or feel good?? After you spend so much time, thought, energy, discipline and lots of money (I purchase all organic or local produce as well as grass fed/free range/organic meats) into living primal it would be nice to reap the rewards of both feeling great and looking great!! I just want to wear my skinny jeans again
    Could it be a function of eating more fats and protein or cutting back on my cardio/work out schedule.....I was so bummed last night I fell off the wagon.....I ate a big bowl of ice cream with my kids. However, I did put fresh berries and real homemade whipped cream on top. (I did refrain from the chocolate syrup). I enjoyed every bite but felt horrible when I went to bed with a sick stomach. I am committed to getting back on track today but don't know what to do about the unwanted and confussing weight gain issue. Every success story I read people are DROPPING weight not GAINING! Can anyone shed some light on my shedding these unwanted pounds?

Melody is offline Senior Member
    height/weight/age?

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    This may be a helpful entry for you to read. 17 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple

I agree - it may be good to know a few more specifics about you. One thing that occurs to me is that you may be gaining some muscle if you have dropped chronic cardio and have started lifting more. With as active a schedule as you have, you probably don't need to do tons in terms of your own workouts - it sounds like you may be getting more than enough in most categories already.

I would think that with as busy a life as you have, stress management/reduction may be part of what you have to look at in terms of maintaining overall health. You have a busy, active job and 3 kids, and that is a lot for anyone to take care of.

It is not surprising that having changed your diet, that your weight equilibrium will have changed somewhat. Some people find they go a little "bacon crazy" the first while and overdo eating good real foods. Although it is easy for many to lose on primal, for most of us, especially women, we still need to be mindful about what we eat.

One thing that helped me was making sure I was well nourished. Once all my vitamin and mineral needs were taken care of, I tended to feel more comfortable on less food. Another thing that helped stabilize blood sugar and reduce appetite for me was a chromium supplement.

And to answer your question. To start, I think it is better to feel good, but in the long run, I think most of us want to both look and feel good. Often the feeling good starts before the looking good, though.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

pollydinasaur is offline Member
    Hello The same thing happened to me - not a big gain but a gain that made me wonder where I was going wrong. I feel great - but I want progress on the downside.

Someone suggested reading this - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html

Which I found really helpful.

I made some small changes to my meal plan - I've stopped adding way too much extra fat to my meals and just as a guide I've started using spark people so I can see whats happening. I've lost 1.5lbs over night....

I know this is the way to go for me - just being aware and once I get more into the swing of things and become more knowledgeable I'll stop tracking.

Best of luck on your journey.

balanced is offline Member
    I am currently 5'3''; approx. 109lbs and 37yrs. I feel and function my best at 105lbs....I do realize this is a trivial amount of weight for someone who is clearly not overweight to begin with however i dont want to continue to add pounds living by the PB. Can you make any suggestions?

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I don't think the leptin reset is for you. And I can understand the 4 lbs being "something". When you are that low, 4 lbs is something that you can notice. Leptin reset is for those who are leptin resistant, who generally are overweight and often have hormone issues. You sound like you are probably already leptin sensitive. You may want to check out the thread on dropping the last 10 lbs. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37424.html
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Skinny jeans are not a good measuring tool. Could it be that you are just too muscled up in the legs to get into them? I once did a really hilly 250 mile bike ride over 10 days and that coupled with the training leading up to it I had thighs like the Hulk.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

ChasePaleo is offline Junior Member
    Calories still matter. Maybe not as obsessively as most conventional diets take it to, but you will still get fat if you are consuming more calories. Eat less calories and see how that improves things.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    Skinny jeans are not a good measuring tool. Could it be that you are just too muscled up in the legs to get into them? I once did a really hilly 250 mile bike ride over 10 days and that coupled with the training leading up to it I had thighs like the Hulk.
    That's a good point.
    OP stopped running and is doing more weight training. With a lot of running you tend to lose muscle mass. You've probably gained some mass .

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Body composition? Weight by itself is meaningless.

How to Lower Your Blood Sugar