Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much fat did Grok eat? page 2

AceRimmer is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, but the point is lot of dead animal doesnt mean 50-80% fat intake. Easily hunted small game and fish is lean meat. Check aboriginal diet which is low fat.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Images of how much fat a grass-fed bison has (carcass photos):

Tribe of Five: Hunting for Good Food and Roaming Bison

Grass-fed/wild meats do have less intra-muscular marbling, but we need to remember that HG groups don't eat just the muscle meat, unlike many North Americans. They use most of the animal, including rendering the fats, so although the muscle meat itself is leaner, the animals still store a good lot of fat. This is especially true for game animals in cold climates--they're lean in the spring, but by fall, the deer are nice and fat for winter, as are the rabbits, squirrels, and so on. Also, anyone who's cooked more traditionally cut meats will discover that a grass-fed cow still has enough fat to make a nice cushion of fat on top of the roast to keep it moist when you cook it, as long as your butcher doesn't trim all that good stuff off.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    Yes, but the point is lot of dead animal doesnt mean 50-80% fat intake. Easily hunted small game and fish is lean meat. Check aboriginal diet which is low fat.
    *snort*

Not around here. Ever heard of pemmican?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    If you try and live on just lean meat, low-fat and low carbs you'll get "rabbit starvation" and die.

Not that humans aren't versatile eaters, your study clearly highlights that. About the only thing we can't seem to grok on through is the modern SAD/Western diet.

AceRimmer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    *snort*

Not around here. Ever heard of pemmican?
    Native american also ate corn and beans. Does this mean we also should?
    HGs ate what was available to them, try making pemmican from kangoroo
    Every time anyone asks about hg macros ratio gets immediately answer 50%+ fat. My point is, thats not true. It can be 80% fat but also 20% fat.
    You should choose your macros by how you feel best

Paleobird Guest
    Native american also ate corn and beans. Does this mean we also should?
    HGs ate what was available to them, try making pemmican from kangoroo
    Every time anyone asks about hg macros ratio gets immediately answer 50%+ fat. My point is, thats not true. It can be 80% fat but also 20% fat.
    You should choose your macros by how you feel bes
    t
    Very true. Also based on your goals. I think the "eat more fat!" drum beating around here is what keeps a lot of people from seeing the results they would like. Not advocating going all Dean Ornish, just not necessary to glug down bacon fat by the shotglass either. Moderation is not a dirty word.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Very true. Also based on your goals. I think the "eat more fat!" drum beating around here is what keeps a lot of people from seeing the results they would like. Not advocating going all Dean Ornish, just not necessary to glug down bacon fat by the shotglass either. Moderation is not a dirty word.
    Yep. Fat is wonderful, but I find it's more so when it "happens" not when you force the shit out of it.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I agree with this very, very much. I went through a period of time where the thought of animal fat except grassfed butter made my stomach turn. I am still a little bit that way. Yet some people here do fry everything in butter, bacon grease, lard, etc. I think you have to find what works for you. I am not really eating beef, lamb, or pork at this time. I find them repulsive since several months ago when I got a very bad virus that just happened to take hold after I ate a beautiful grassfed steak. I will not look at or smell steak anytime in the near future. For me it's mostly fish, shellfish, and some chicken/turkey. I am also pregnant so dealing with the nausea is really fun. I have taken to Rice Krispies in the morning as it's the only thing I can tolerate. I have noticed since becoming pregnant, I am eating more fat again, but in the form of butter, sour cream, coconut oil, almonds, and fatty fish. So again, it's relative, but I don't think drowning everything in fat is a good idea for everyone.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget about non-organ meats which are highly prized and sought in HG groups: bone marrow, with has 51 grams of fat for 3.5 oz ; Brain which is about 70% fat and suet which is all fat.

There are certainly paleo plans out there that follow a lower fat plan compared to PB - I think based on the assumption that fat could have been hard to come by in HG societies. I have tried them and they just do not work for me. I pretty much stick to Marks plan which I view as fairly high fat (at least 50%) because it means I can eat without counting or restricting - I can just allow my appetite to dictate what I eat. I can't do that on a lower fat diet so personally I am grateful for the early advice I got to make sure i am eating plenty of fat.

Here is what Mark says:
    "Learn to love them. They are the fuel of choice and should become the balance of your Primal Blueprint diet. Fats have little or no impact on insulin and, as a result, promote the burning of both dietary and stored (adipose) fat as fuel. Think about this: if protein and carbs stay fairly constant (and carbs stay under 150), you can use fat as the major energy variable in your diet. Feeling like you need more fuel (and you’ve already covered your bases with protein and carbs)? Reach for something with fat. Nuts, avocados, coconut, eggs, butter, olive oil, fish, chicken, lamb, beef, the list is a long one. 100 grams of fats per day would only add 900 calories to our girl’s daily average, putting her at between 1620 and 1940 calories a day. Even if she averages somewhere between 1400 and 2200 calories per day over a few weeks, as long as she pays attention to protein and carbs, her body composition will shift to lower body fat and more desirable lean mass. If she decides to do some walking, a few brief intense weight sessions and a sprint day here and there, that process would accelerate greatly. If she gets to a point where she’s content with her body fat, she can even add in a little more fat to provide energy that she previously got from her stored fat."

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    it depends where 'grok' was and what time of the year it was
    in which case he ate whatever he could find, up to and including his fellow grokmates
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast