Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I love Gary Taubes but he scares me on one thing. page 6

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulamar View Post
    Thanks for all the wonderful, intelligent input. I love this forum.

You all seem to be in consensus which is good to hear. I'm not stressing over it or angry. I'm pretty happy with my progress. To answer a few questions that were asked. I'm 28, Male, Live in Utah (Sorry I didn't clarify, I saw the Google speech on the web). I started the journey in March. I've been at the same weight about 2 months now. I'm not too worried about that, I know I will eventually break through (and I have had some bad days where donuts were delicious).

Thanks for all the feedback. Cheers to good conversation.
    Oops I should have seen it says SLC on your info right there. >.< Well if youre ever in the area, hit us up for suggestions on things to do while you're in town

In other news, have you seen this post of Marks recently: Weight Loss Plateau - 5 Ways to Get the Results You Want | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple It really has helped me take stock of what I am doing when my weight loss has slowed down.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The first question would be why do you need to eat as starch free as possible? I don't particularly believe that carbs cause insulin resistance and obesity. It's the refining that's been done to them and the disgusting PUFA oils and terrible n3:n6 ratios that cause insulin resistance IMO. 100 years ago, grain consumption in the US was more than it is today while sugar levels stayed the same. The variable that increased dramatically - soybean oil. I think you can be quite lean on a higher carb, lower fat diet, but it has to be appropriate to your activity and the sources of your carbs definitely matter. In fact, Lyle McDonald has shown pretty well that most insulin sensitive people perform better on higher carb/lower fat diets, which is why the standard boybuilder diet is <20% daily calories from fat, high (~30-40% of calories) protein intake and cycling carbs - lower on "off" days and quite high on "on" days.

Second, if for some reason you absolutely cannot eat them, you should look into cycling your calories. Think Monday and Tuesday, eat 50% of maintenance calories, Wednesday through Thursday eat 25% over maintenance and Friday through Sunday eat 10-20% under maintenance. That's a good way to come in at a caloric deficit with the regular heavy feeding days keeping your body out of starvation mode. Of course, your higher calorie days should be the days you're most active and your lower calorie days should be your off days. You'd have to modify the schedule to fit your lifestyle.

Gary suffers from the typical low carb plateau. His leptin is probably bottomed out and while he may be pretty healthy, until he accepts that carbs aren't bad for you, he'll never bust through it. Here at MDA, we're all aware that there are good fats and bad fats. Coconut oil, butter, tallow, lard...all good things. Sunflower oil, canola oil, soybean oil...horrible poisons. Yet, why can't be realize the same thing goes for carbs? Carbs from whole wheat are not in the same league as carbs from sweet potatoes or white rice. Some are toxic, others are benign and can be beneficial to your health. Regular carb intake increases insulin sensitivity just like regular exposure to bacteria strengthens your immune system. The key is to avoid overexposure or you'll get fat, just like too much exposure to bacteria will make you sick.
    Thanks. I am starch free as I have ankylosing spondylitis and am trying this KickAS.org - London AS Diet after finding that on low carb my joint pain is much less. White rice, sweet potato etc leave me with all my joints sore and my bones aching and throbbing, it's not pleasant lol.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    For some people, being toxin-free is enough to achieve a desired weight. For others, nutritional deficiencies need to be addressed; finally, there may be broken systems that need to be corrected: autoimmune issues, infections, damaged organs, etc. The first two can be achieved by anyone, the last really depends on the particular problem. I've heard of healing fatty liver, but not a pancreas with no more beta cells (T1 diabetes).

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I like this explanation. I know personally I need to be healthy to lose weight. I lost weight easily the 1st 9 months of primal but in the last 4 months I have had some brutal kidney stone problems (finally passed last week ) but I did not lose a pound in that whole time....in fact I gained about 5 lbs. Certainly I didn't eat quite as primal in that time (lots more dairy, rice, fruit than normal) but wasn't insanely bad. I was thinking I was at a natural setpoint... but maybe this was just a reflection of being sick.
    Have you investigated a K2 deficiency contributing to your kidney stones? There is a connection between k2 deficiency and deposition of calcium and minerals where they don't belong. Lef.org has the only high dose k2, Ultra K2, 15 mg. which is the dose used in Japan to treat osteoporosis.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456