Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal nutrition for young children. page

babygrant is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I already emailed Mark, but I'm hoping someone has some experience here.

My four year old son has been chronically constipated since birth. Even during the first eight months of being exclusively breastfed. He's had more supposatories and enemas than I can even count. He's been hospitalized for bowel impactions. He was on four tablespoons of lactulose a day with no help. We tried high fiber as per the pediatrician with no help. He's now on PEG 3350 (healthy sounding name for a laxative!) and dairy free. We've been trialing this for a couple of days and all was good for the first couple of days....now he's moving towards being constipated again.

He seems to be pulled towards carbs. He is probably the most adventurous eater I know! He'll try pretty much everyone. He LOVES sardines, loves kipper fillets, loves spaghetti with homemade venison sauce, loves any kind of fruit, loves any kind of raw veggies. When it comes to meat he really struggles with the chewing. He'll pop a piece of meat in his mouth, chew for five minutes, then spit out this piece of white mush. Doesn't matter what kind of meat. Even really soft fish, he'll chew chew chew chew chew and then spit it out.

I hate having him on the laxative. I hate that no doctors will listen. He's been diagnosed with "functional constipation" aka lazy bowel. The doctors suggest that he was born with a bowel that doesn't function properly so just to keep feeding him high fiber foods. We don't do high fiber because it never worked before and he gets enough fiber from his fruits and veggies anyways!

Sorry that was long. So we are all told that complex carbs are important for the developments of childrens brains....but how true is that really?? I would love to switch my whole family to a primal lifestyle.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Well, the chewing and spitting is very normal. Many children do this, esp with tougher meats and veggies. He will grow out of it, and with my guy I find that if I steam or really cook the veg, and if I keep the meat really tender, he swallows no prob.

As for constipation and lazy bowel, I have no advice except for trying virgin coconut oil. See if he'll take it plain, but if not, make coconut bark.

1/2 cup coconut oil

1/4 cup cocoa powder

1 tbsp honey

1/4 cup of chopped nuts. (optional)

Mix first 3 ing together until smooth, add nuts and pour into a small dish. Freeze or chill in fridge until solid.

I hope you get more answers on your little guys stomach issues. Have you ever done any research on yeast overgrowth?

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Mainer is offline Senior Member

If your interested I would check out the book Restoring Your Digestive Health by Jordan Rubin. N.M.D. and Joseph Brasco. I would also investigate Water Kefir. We used both to cure our son of Acid Reflux and other allergies since birth. My wifes Aunt was able to vastly improve her digestive issues as well. Kefir does a great job re-populating the good bacteria in the digestive track. Go for the real deal, not the powder stuff. We also make Milk Kefir, but that may not be what your child will tolerate now that's why I recommended Water Kefir. There are a couple of great forums out there for you to research, Dom's out of Australia is one that comes to mind. Good luck, I know how difficult it can be to see your child suffering and feeling like you don't have any control over their wellbeing.

You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

I used to make kefir and kombucha, and neither seemed to do the trick. We've tried digestive enzymes, papaya tablets, acidophilus.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

You mentioned spaghetti. Is he still on wheat/gluten? With digestive problems, I'd eliminate gluten asap. Ask if you need assistance with identifying gluten in foods, as it lurks in odd places.

You mentioned that he's dairy-free. Have you increased soy consumption to provide dairy substitutes? A lot of dairy-sensitive kids are also soy-sensitive.

Hang in there!

FairyRae2 Guest

I know you mentioned the probiotic drinks didn't help, but have you tried fermented veggies? Here is the method I use: http://www.bodyecology.com/cveggies.php If I get too excited and eat too many, they can clear me out like nothing else! (We do juice/water kefir as well and it's not done this to me.) Maybe they might help?

I second the idea of going off of gluten (if you haven't already). SOOOO many folks have troubles w/ it, and it can cause all sorts of other intolerances/allergies/problems that might be alleviated after taking it out and healing a bit.

Are you primal? The foods you mentioned sound it (besides spaghetti--but w/ a spiral slicer you can make fantastic noodles out of veggies like zucchini, or even tubers if you do them [my ds loves potato pasta right now--we are not 100% primal and do our fair share of tubers.]). I think dropping grains and eating a very primal style diet can be really helpful when it comes to digestive problems. Have you looked into the GAPS or SCD diets? Might be a little less restrictive than primal in some ways if you want a slow transition into it, and they are very healing for digestive issues...

Good luck!

He is NOT off wheat/gluten. That might just be our next step.

About the only fermented thing he'll eat is pickles. If you could those as being fermented. I made sourkraut and kimchi and he wouldn't touch them.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I think the wheat/gluten thing will make all the difference in the world. Let us know how it goes!!!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Mainer is offline Senior Member

I would agree with the group on the gluten issue, that was something else we removed from our child's diet, along with casein. I assumed that had already happened since this is a primal nutrition forum. Good luck!

You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Mainer, I am VERY new to the whole primal idea so even the idea of no gluten/wheat is different for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast