Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (DanielMerk) page 3

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Two days down so far. Last night was really tough. I seemed to have been really hungry from dinner. My caloric intake was something like this:

B: 14c Steel Cut oats + 1 tbsp almond butter + 1/2tsp flax meal; 1 grapefruit, tea

S: Pecans, coconut about 1/4c

L: 1 slice grain bread + 5oz turkey; 1c spinach 1 tomato, olive oil

S: IF

D: 2 Chicken thighs poached in paprika and homemade stock w/onions, 1/2c 8grain rice cooked in water and 1c broccoli

Workout was Chest and Back (p90x). I did 1/2 of it and 1/2 of Ab ripper. 35minutes total.

Ok, I get it, grains. I am seriously trying to kill grains again all together. Really trying. In this case, yesterday was about 140g carbs all day. Not horrid, but not great. Hitting the grocery store today and will fill the fridge with veggies and fruits. Maybe I can get off the grains so I am not spiking my insulin so much. Perhaps that is why I am so hungry between meals...

Today is a new day.

A week into this and I am feeling pretty good. I am still doing BeachBody workouts because I really don't have the gear to go snowshoeing or skiing around here. Looking into swimming with Monique as she is 25 wks pregnant.

My diet today has been perfect. I did have a glass of the dreaded P90X recovery drink, but at 17g carbs it was not too bad. The rest of the day was mostly meats, eggs, leafy greens, avocados and 1 grapefruit. I have been feeling a bit sniffily prolly due to the climate here, and I have not been getting out much (I work from home and deadlines are running high now) so that may be it. Getting good sleep the last 3 nights, at least 8 hours. No TV at least 1 hour before bed and its only been Netflix of the Office. I read 1 hour before bed (comics) and NO ALCOHOL. Pretty stoked about that.

Today I did Chest and Back and some abs. Tomorrow is a rest day. Looking forward to tomorrow. New day, and loving this energy I already have. Kind of weird though, last year I began taking better care of myself and did it almost all year but only read the book in June so it's been hard to really buckle down on the nutrition part. Not that I am a packaged food guy, I cook everything from scratch and from local ingredients. We cowpool and bought a pig from a known farmer. Both pastured. Fish is mostly line caught. Eggs are local until about October then we had to resort to grocery store "organic" but I learned the local farmer I bought eggs from is going to be at a local indoor market every other week. Only problem is we down 4 dozen a week. heh. My friends think I am going to die because of so many eggs. Idiots.

Off to read some comics and get to bed.

Weekends are so tough. I did not really cave in as much as I had in Nov/Dec but I drank a bit more beer than I wanted to, and I had some bread. I need to realize that when I "celebrate" I need to make sure I celebrate reasonably. Saturday I got married again (convalidation actually) to my wife so we had many people over. I had to offer at least one startch and made spetzle (we're eastern European descent!) to go with my goulash. I did not have any so that was good. I had about 3-4 glasses of wine. Not so bad, not good either. No cake. Sunday was when I had a few beers with my buddies at home playing some board games. Should have had one glass of wine, but none the less I did not "pig" out like I once did.

Since the new week I am back on track with my diet.

Sort of goes like this:

B: 2 eggs; 2-4 strips of bacon; some coffee or a pot of Puh-erh tea; 1/2 grapefruit or soem blueberries

L:Big salad with "Stuff" or some cooked veggie, and some meat

D: Big protein and some cooked veggie

If I snack its been a few scant dried cherries, or nuts, coconut, or some left over meat

My exercise has been 80%. Last week I got in 4 days so that was cool. I am doing a P90X hybrid just because it worked so I wont fix it. I skip ab ripper, but I subbed in Kempo for one of TH's One on One "Core" workotus. I have been really on myself for doing more pull ups. Since I am so heavy still, pull ups are hard for me. As a youth I never was able to do them, so I think that is one body part I never worked on-- my back. I figured out that using the modified chair system of doing a pull up helps, but even better was I learned that I can step on a stability ball and it seems harder on the resistance, but easier on the initial getting up to the ball. I just have to keep going!

So this week will once again be another test:

Failure is giving up what you want MOST for what you want in the MOMENT.

- I will not watch TV (Netflix) for more than 2 hours

- I will not consume grains in any way

- I will replace beer with wine if the situation were to surface

- I will enjoy time with my wife playing games

- I will enjoy my workouts

- I will read more, even comics

Weekly update. Things are going well. I just completed a new blog site which I call "Sweat." I hope to drive some motivation and hard work through the site to help others get to their fitness goals.

My diet has been pretty good. I ate offal the other day in the form of "The fifth quarter" at a local restaurant. They offer all kinds of locally raised meats, grass fed cow and other animals. I actually liked some of the organs. I plan on making some porchetta with the pigs head I have in my freezer.

Onwards. I've been sticking to my new goals. A few grain based things here and there, but not even 10% for the entire week. Sleep is big goal this week. The alcohol thing is beginning to become an issue here. Not like I am missing work, or causing harm to myself or my family; but I really enjoy a glass of beer, or wine here and there. I know its "ok" in moderation, but is moderation once a day? I had 1 glass of wine last night. It was my own, grown from organically raised grapes form Lodi, CA and I fermeneted it myself. Pretty good actually but was 4oz bad for me? Prolly not. Just want to stay on top of my goals.

Tea has been really helpful. 1 pot in morning of Pu-erh tea which I love. Then in evenings I sometimes have some peppermint herbal, etc. Keeps me hydrated and I get sleepy from it. cool.

Diet, was good. Lots of meat last week. It was like the week of the steer. I ate red meat all week. Mostly grass fed from our buy in but not much chicken it seems. I really have been thinking about the summer and really trying to get outside more. So cold here in Ohio. Sigh.

My exercise was ok. I did at least 3 sessions this weekend. This week will be Yoga, Cardio, Yoga, repeat for 1 week, then I am starting a new program. I wont say the name, but I hear it's pretty "insane." I want to ramp up workouts using body weight so this may be helpful to keep me motivated and keep my attention span. My prior goals worked for 2 weeks but then I went south with it. Weird, I workout but I cant seem to commit to a regimen.

Goals:

- More sleep

- Less libations

- More reading

- Getting my site up and running

- ENJOY WORKING OUT!

cheers,

dan

Here we go. My first real fitness and health blog. Enojy.

http://sweat.danmerk.com/

Adding you to my RSS feeds now!

Your wife has FABULOUS arms! Her 39 yr old body puts my (soon to be) 34 yr old body to some SERIOUS shame!

SassaFrass88: Thanks! My wife is really down on herself lately since being pregnant has been really tough on her body. She is Austrian and Slovak so she keeps saying that she was blessed with "hips." Now with the baby she is doubly blessed. She keeps working out and pushing harder and harder because she is going to be birthing a baby and she needs all the leg muscles she can!

This week seems to be going well. Monday was a blur (ate some CAFO wings) but that is in the past. I've been laying off the wine/beer and I am noticing better sleep and less inflamation. Kewl. I added in a bunch of greens to my week already in the form of spinach and red kale. last night I made grass fed liver for my wife and I had some as well. I had some left overs but I may save those for her. Liver is not my favorite organ, but anything fried in a cast iron skillet rocks so it was much better than I had once before. Soaking in milk/cream supposed to be better.

Today I am already eating light. I seem to notice I am only getting in 300-400 calories per meal and eating 3 times a day. That amounts to about 1200 calories and around 10pm I get really hungry. The hunger pangs are not going away, but I know that could be from the dreid fruits and grapefruits I am taking in per day. I crunched some numbers and I am only getting in less than 75g of carbs all day so I hope I can stay here for a bit longer.

My exercise has been great. It went something like this:

S: Yoga 45min

M: Cardio Intervals X+

T: Patience Hummingbird Yoga

W: Cardio Intervals X+

Th: Yoga 45min

F: Cardio X

Sa: Yoga 45min

I am trying to do a cardio/stretch week and see how I feel. So far it's been nice. Next week I wanted to start Insanity and beat myself up for 2 months. heh. I think that nutrition is going to be a problem since I am going to be burning so many calories and I will be forced to take in so much fruit and fats to keep the energy going.

Well, here are my numbers. Like I mentioned somewhere else on this forum, my total cholesterol went up since I went primal. Other numbers are great.

Total Cholesterol: 232

HDL: 69

Tris: 104

LDL: 142

VDL: 21

I am trying to dig up my other numbers from last year.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Here they are :

July 2009 14 hour fast

Total 203

Triglicerides: 90

HDL: 66

LDL: 119

Ok, so they told me I was ok, and no to take any meds because of it. YAY. They told me to take Lipitor because of these numbers:

November 2007

Total: 207

Triglicerides: 210

HDL: 62

LDL: 103

Scratching my head here. I dig up some info from an old blog post from 2006. Here are those numbers:

June 2006

Total: 196

Triglicerides: 123

HDL: 38

LDL: 138

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast